McLaren MP4/22 Launch

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
V12-Power
GP2 Star

McLaren MP4/22 Launch

Post by V12-Power »

No spectacular changes I would say:
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

Actually this fits right in with Toyota and Ferrari, more of a careful continution of what they had with last year's design.

The surprise effect about the car's look is obviously also diminished because it now turns out the pictures from last year (when they tried out a livery in Valencia) were exactly what they seem to be using now.

I like the overalls though. Shiny and different. :-)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Re: McLaren MP4/22 Launch

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

Two more pics :D

In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

One picture from Fernando Alonso's actual 2007 helmet:
DJS
GP2 Racer

Post by DJS »

That's not Alonso, it's Raikkonen.... :lol:
Those guys are insane, constantly changing designs.
DJS Exclusive - Proud member of team NL²
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Whatever happened to a helmet being a driver's identity? Think of the likes of Hill, Peterson, Mansell, Senna... They all had iconic helmet designs. Now none of them seem bothered about having an identity. Alonsos changed his design at least twice now!
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

Greyhead wrote:Whatever happened to a helmet being a driver's identity? Think of the likes of Hill, Peterson, Mansell, Senna... They all had iconic helmet designs. Now none of them seem bothered about having an identity. Alonsos changed his design at least twice now!

I agree completely.

I mean, it's obvious change would happen, even including sponsors. I think Schumacher (as much as I was never his biggest fan) did the right thing with his. You can trace it's evolution along with him as a driver. There was no "drastic" change.

Alonso's new one looks like another helmet / driver altogether.

It's shocking to think he has scrapped his "Spanish" flag colours too. If Button did that (bar when England play :D) - I'd be well disappointed in him. - It's as if Alonso didn't care he had the flag on in the first place, a few hard-core Spaniards may be angry tonight!
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Yeah I agree, mind you I was annoyed at Eddie Irvine when he changed his, I'm not Irish or even a fan of Irvine but he started off the whole thing! The corporate world manages to infest everything eventually...
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

Was anyone in Germany particularly angry from a national point of view when Michael Schumacher went to his red helmet, and last year eventually he stopped having even yellow on it altogether? Does that make him less the person he is, or less German?

I understand what you're saying, that normally you immediately connect a distinctive helmet to the driver - because driving in the car, the helmet is all you see. However, in my opinion, a helmet is not a certain driver, just a visual kind of representation. That can change, as well as drivers change their hair style and color, their clothing or the house they live in. They don't stop being who they are. They just look different, after all...

At least that's what I think. :)
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

Schumacher even had an Italian flag on his helmet at one point, I just find that strange. Maybe it's just me.

I don't mean they can't never change them. It's just why so much in recent times?
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Yeah, it's like back in "ye olden days" you saw a helmet and you knew immediately that you were looking at Senna or Prost or Piquet. Now you're not sure where you stand, is it Alonso, Raikkonen, Kubica, who knows? It's made even worse by the fact that you can't see the numbers on the cars very well nowadays either.
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Somehow it seems to me that the drivers change their helmet designs only to emphasize their connection/identification with the team. Schumacher went to red, Alonso had this bright blue, now it's silver/grey, Heidfeld changed his colours also the way that they match the BMW colours better... that's at least my theory.
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

There's definitely some truth in that V12-power. Irvine did it too when he went to Jag, suddenly his helmet turned green! And look at all those Red Bull-sponsored drivers throughout the world, the likes of Vitantonio Liuzzi, Buddy Rice, AJ Allmendinger all with virtually the same helmet!
DJS
GP2 Racer

Post by DJS »

Well I think it's a shame. You can't tell me that Alonso wants to be the next Raikkonen (including his bad luck), I collect Alonsos modelcars but this is where it ends. Your helmet is personal and tells who you are, it can evolve as you evolve yourself, but dramatic changes like this.....it's beyond belief.
I'm not going to get the McLaren with Raikkonen nr. 2 in it.
I think the new man at Renault, Kovalainen, will be my next collection hype.
So long Kimi, I mean Fernando.... :lol:
DJS Exclusive - Proud member of team NL²
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Well spoken DJS! Let's see which nickname Ron Dennis will invent for Alonso now... I have to say Kovalainen is my favourite for the next season as well (not the top-man for the world championship, but the one I will cross fingers for).