24 Heures du Mans 2009 - French winner(s)

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
AD
GP2 Acc

24 Heures du Mans 2009 - French winner(s)

Post by AD »

For the first time since 1993, a Peugeot prototype has won the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Congratulations!

Having been a bit disappointed by the sorts of legality quarrel that seemed to arise before the first practice had even started, I found this to be an interesting race, once again, this year. It was great seeing the Peugeot, with its front end somewhat flattened out, the new Audi and the Lola/Aston Martin cars on this classic circuit. On top of that, TV coverage was once again great in quantity and acceptable in quality this year, unlike the three-minute interval "Die grrrrrrrüüüne Höllä"-broadcast, interlaced with certain manufacturer commercials, at the Nürburgring race last month. 8)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Re: 24 Heures du Mans 2009 - French winner(s)

Post by Greyhead »

I tried to watch the whole thing again like I did last year but failed miserably, ended up missig nine hours of it...

I think the incident that will stick in my memory was the interview that (I think) Hideki Noda gave after his car retired late on. You could see just how much this race means even if you just make it to the end, he was so upset at not seeing the flag that he was almost lost for words. It really showed how much of an event this race is and how important it is.

I agree with AD, the legality questions didn't add anything to the race, and the performance of the Peugeots relative to the Audis showed Peugeot's protests were a little unfounded and smacked of the sort of petulance we normally associate with Ferrari!

Even if the result wasn't really in doubt, there was still more drama in this one race than there is in a whole season of F1, and hopefully we'll get more of the same next year.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

Greyhead wrote:I think the incident that will stick in my memory was the interview that (I think) Hideki Noda gave after his car retired late on. You could see just how much this race means even if you just make it to the end, he was so upset at not seeing the flag that he was almost lost for words. It really showed how much of an event this race is and how important it is.
I agree, that was a great little interview. He seemed like he almost wanted to apologize for how emotional he reacted to that. Compare that with, say, an ex-GP driver being interviewed last year when about to finish on the podium, who basically said, "Yeah, well, we're not going to win this anymore, are we?", as if that were the only motivation (for him) to race at Le Mans...
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Yes, that was a great race =D>