MOTORSPORT @ THE MOVIES

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

MOTORSPORT @ THE MOVIES

Post by jakesanson »

My favourite racing movies are finally complete in my DVD collection!!! I've been collecting them over the years, and I can honestly say I've now found them all. Here are the racing movies that I feel deserve to be amongst the greatest of them all. I'm sure there are some I've missed and some you don't agree with, but we can talk about it while we're waiting for Honda to just get on with it, and STR and Force India to stop hiding:

GRAND PRIX (1966)
Simply the best racing movie ever made. It's F1 in the 60s and at its best.

LE MANS (1971)
Steve McQueen (legendary actor) racing at Le Mans (legendary race). This all equals a legendary movie.

DRIVEN (2000)
Sly Stallone actually didn't do too bad in this, especially if you watch the deleted scenes and actually decide to care about the storyline. The special effects were way too over the top though. Oh and it's about Champ Cars not F1, Warner Bros. At least get it right!!!

THE LOVE BUG (1968)
Everybody loves an underdog, especially if he's a Beetle with a mind of it's own.

WINNING (1969)
Paul Newman racing at the Indy 500. See the "Le Mans" formula. Can't buy it on DVD in the UK yet though, only the States. Still worth every second though.

CARS (2006)
Funny, clever, amazing special effects, very amusing inside-jokes about cars which also includes Mario Andretti, The King himself Richard Petty and Michael Schumacher speaking fluent Italian. Oh and if you're British, the voice of Jeremy Clarkson.....

TALLADEGA NIGHTS: THE BALLAD OF RICKY BOBBY (2006)
If you're like me, the humour is a bit too extreme in some places as with quite a few Will Ferrell comedies. Still it's a car racing comedy. Beautifully timed for the lighter side of NASCAR. And there's nothing wrong with NASCAR.....

SPEED RACER (2008)
Directed by The Wachowski Brothers (as in the one and only Matrix) which means it's basically an over-the-top colours to make your head melt, action packed family fuelled fun zone!!!

MONTE CARLO OR BUST (1969)
If you haven't seen this film, dig it out of a local jumble sale, wipe the dust off the video case it came in and prepare for a real giggle. It's a great comedy about the traditional Monte Carlo Rally. Terry Thomas, Eric Sykes, Tony Curtis, Peter Cook, Dudley Moore to name but a few of the geniuses in this movie. I particularly enjoy the Italians who want to be as famous as Nuvolari.....and Malcolm-a Campbell, and who quest after "a nice little wife with the nice big....."

CHECKERED FLAG (1990)
Made and released around the same time as Days of Thunder, it's the raunchiest movie on my list. Quite rude in a few places, and to be honest that's the only redeeming feature of this so-awful-it's-good Indycar movie.

DAYS OF THUNDER (1990)
It's Tom. It's Nicole. It's Mr Duvall. It's NASCAR. 'Nuff said.

HERBIE GOES TO MONTE CARLO (1977)
As you may have guessed I love Monaco, and anyone who can make an attempt to pass upside down in the tunnel is a true legend. Eat your heart out, Mr Schumacher.....

FREEJACK (1992)
Not actually about motor-racing, but it follows Emilio Estevez who plays a racing driver killed in what looks like the American answer to Formula 3, and eighteen years later (supposedley 2009!!!) his body is sucked back into existence so a rich billionaire can use it. When he wakes up by mistake, all hell breaks loose. Cue Mick Jagger, yes I said Mick Jagger, chasing after him in an epic sci-fi rubbish-fest that's so poor it'll actually hurt. Yet somehow, I still like it.

HERBIE: FULLY LOADED (2005)
Foul-mouthed Lindsay Lohan takes Herbie NASCAR racing. Yeah right!! But at least it's fun. And it's NASCAR!! Mind you, she's not THAT bad......

And we really should give a mention to:

THE WACKY RACES!!!!!!!!
Absolutely fantastic.....

What do you guys think???
Find me on @jakesansonofficial or www.jakesanson.com
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Come and play the RRML using Grand Prix 2 via Downforce Racing YouTube channel!
AAS
GP2 Star

Re: MOTORSPORT @ THE MOVIES

Post by AAS »

Nice List. I know most of these movies. Good movies.
But DRIVEN (2000) was a big disappointment.

Another "Must Have" : Death Race 2000
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7J7T1mzD8nc

I like the point system:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfaLmE3a ... re=related

hehehe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGhu5Zl5 ... re=related
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

I first saw "Le Mans" when I was about 12 and was immediately hooked on the Gulf-Porsche 917. Ever since then Steve McQueen has been one of my favourite actors (although he didn't do a deal of acting in that particular film...). Aside from all the racing, the best bit has to be at the start where the heartbeat slowly gets louder and faster, it really sets you up for the rest of the film.

I've never managed to sit through "Grand Prix" in one sitting. The footage of mid-60's F1 cars is awesome, especially the bits at Spa, but it's just so long and the plot is pretty dull! For me, I'd rather play Grand Prix Legends (even though it's fiendishly difficult).
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

Have to admit, haven't seen many apart from Grand Prix and Days of Thunder.

"No he didn't hit you, he didn't bump you, he rubbed you! And rubbin' son, is racin'..."
Days of thunder was a cool film
"There's nothing wrong with the car in front except that it's on fire!!!!!!!!!!!"
Murray Walker
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

Post by jakesanson »

Winning was pretty iconic, if you can find it.

Actually most of these films you can't find easily, so you have to wait until they're shown on TV!!!
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

I always mean to watch "Winning" but it's rarely on TV, and when it is it's usually at about 1am when most sane people are asleep, and I'm at work...
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
Antonio Pessoa
GP2 Gamer

Post by Antonio Pessoa »

I watched "Driven", and as fan of Indycar/CART races that times, I was disappointed also. The best scenes are from the real images of 2000 Fedex/CART Championship... :wink:

:-k Thunder Days I watched just 1 time, in the 90's, and I enjoy a bit, but that years I hadn't many information about NASCAR, so, if someday an TV channel from Brazil put this movie in air, I'll watch, and maybe enjoy much more. 8)

"Cars" is amazing! Not only for childrens, but for people with any age, I was 25 when I watched in 2007, and really is a great movie. Computing make miracles today :mrgreen:

I would like to see, someday, a movie about the pre-war races. The athmosphere of that times, the cars, the tracks, the drivers, there's a lot of histories to tell in a movie. But if we wait for a Hollywood movie, maybe they produce a movie about american races, and the twenties also had a lot of great histories, mainly on that amazing Board oval tracks.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GP2 TrackMaker
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

I'm not a fan of these kinds of movies, although I've seen a few of them... I guess I prefer watching actual racing, rather than exaggerated-to-make-it-interesting fictional stuff. :?
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

Post by jakesanson »

AD wrote:I'm not a fan of these kinds of movies, although I've seen a few of them... I guess I prefer watching actual racing, rather than exaggerated-to-make-it-interesting fictional stuff. :?
I do know what you mean. Although there are some novels that could be made into very interesting films. Especially the Forrest Evers saga, written by Bob Judd. He's kind of James Bond in F1.
Antonio Pessoa wrote:I would like to see, someday, a movie about the pre-war races. The athmosphere of that times, the cars, the tracks, the drivers, there's a lot of histories to tell in a movie. But if we wait for a Hollywood movie, maybe they produce a movie about american races, and the twenties also had a lot of great histories, mainly on that amazing Board oval tracks.
I totally agree. Why don't the make the movie called "Nuvolari"....

Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

The thing with any film about pre-war racing is that it would only be half as interesting as what actually happened! There have been plenty of documentaries about this era and I'd say that's probably the best medium for it. There was one a couple of years ago over here in the UK about Dick Seaman which was great, and many years ago there was a series called "The Power and the Glory" which was all about that era of racing. The one that stuck out from that series was Nuvolari's defeat of the Mercedes and Auto-Union squads, at the wheel of an outdated Ferrari-run Alfa, at the Nurburgring, against the backdrop of the lead-up to WWII. If this sort of thing was made into a film it would seem way over the top!