Season 2009

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
AD
GP2 Acc

Re: Season 2009

Post by AD »

It's still a special situation now, too, because testing still goes on with quite a few cars with wings in the familiar dimensions, so there's a lot of "back to back" impressions now, that won't be there anymore once more teams test with the new wings, let alone when the new cars are out there and people will get ready for the first race. That should diminish the "looks out of place" effect somewhat... and from then on, I don't think it should take so much time to get used to it.

Overall, I'm really not that critical of the new look, I'm just hoping the aerodynamics changes will achieve enough of what they're supposed to.
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

The new rear wings really make them look like F3 cars. I agree with AD. Everybody likes pretty cars, but the racing is more important than the looks. And at least ther won't be those aerodinamic appendices.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

At the end of the day, if the cars looked as ugly as Mr Ugly from Uglyshire, yet produce more overtaking, no-one will really be bothered.

I would just like to see the cars with a low nose (very easy to enforce, just set a maximum height for the very tip of the nose from the ground), make the cars a little wider still (even more drag= bigger hole for following car), steel brakes (costs reduced and hopefully longer braking distances)and also insert a personality chip into Raikkonen for when he speaks to the rest of the human race!

Just thought though, correct me if I'm wrong but the cars generally tend to break after the 100m boards (maybe at 75/80m before the corner) so will there actually be any difference under braking for a corner?
Surely the guy behind still has the same amount of time before he too has to turn in?
Or am I wrong on this?????
Surely the braking distance needs to be increased to have any effect under braking?
Cos the overtaking moves that have happened under braking for the past few years have been few and far between...

just a thought...
"There's nothing wrong with the car in front except that it's on fire!!!!!!!!!!!"
Murray Walker
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Good point MaxD. With the braking distances so short, it's still going to be bloody difficult to pass. How about a change from carbon brakes back to steel? That would increase the braking distances, and also make sure the drivers have to look after their brakes a little better to stop them fading, it would also increase errors which could possibly even make overtaking possible at (whisper it) Monaco! It'd be cheaper too.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

Post by jakesanson »

I have to say as an F1 fan for 16 years, I'm not sure I can cope with the cars looking like this next year. The only judgement I'll make is when we get to Australia. If the cars look like a joke AND overtaking hasn't improved, I think I might just stick to playing GP2!!

Especially now that Lewis got the job done.

And another thing, why is everyone raving about Massa in that he won six races while Lewis only won five? Are we forgetting Spa??????

And OK Lewis made mistakes, but he's 23 by goodness sake!!! Leave the boy alone! Can anyone honestly say they could have done better at his age???
Find me on @jakesansonofficial or www.jakesanson.com
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Come and play the RRML using Grand Prix 2 via Downforce Racing YouTube channel!
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

I too don't like it when people slate ANY young driver for making mistakes even if it's Lewis. These guys are seriously talented and running at 100% every second of every lap they are in the car so they are bound to make mistakes. Haven't we all at some point in our lives?...

By the way, NO JAMES ALLEN at the Beeb for us British fans!
They've confirmed DC and Eddie Jordan as part of their line-up. Hope they broadcast the studio pics in widescreen, otherwise DC's jaw won't fit!
"There's nothing wrong with the car in front except that it's on fire!!!!!!!!!!!"
Murray Walker
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

I just think they are a modern throwback to the mad cars of the 70's.

All we need are beluga style nosecones!
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

This looks in a way very cool! (like a dolphin :wink: )
- . -
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

have to say guys, looking at that pic of the McLaren, I do think the cars look pleasing on the eye. I know it's a 2008-spec rear wing but the designs are growing on me like a rash!
Murray Walker
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

Did someone already take a look at the tyres under that McLaren? Look how much blisters/rumble are on them? Maybe some work to do for McLaren? or will this be the new "fashion" for 2009! 8)
TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!