Donington 2010

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
AD
GP2 Acc

Donington 2010

Post by AD »

Apparently, there will continue to be a British GP in the calendar - but, according to this announcement, it will be held at Donington Park from 2010 on.

This is interesting... there was an interview with the people in charge of the track in 'Motorsport aktuell' just a couple of weeks ago where they were saying they were in conversations with the FIA, and they were checking what kinds of investments etc. would be necessary to host a grand prix there again. From that interview it didn't sound likely to me things would move this fast, but apparently, they did.

I just hope they will find a way to keep as much of the track intact as possible, it's a classic circuit. But then again, GP-Silverstone has been changed a lot over the years, so we'll have to wait and see what happens with that.
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
TdK
GP2 Pro

Re: Donington 2010

Post by TdK »

I think Donington is a great place to have Formula 1. 8)

I don't think they will change a lot to the layout, and i certainly hope not, because i want to make this track! :wink:

They will change a lot round the track i think. As calculated they will spend 125 million € on the track! :shock: :o
TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!
DJS
GP2 Racer

Post by DJS »

Donington is a bit short, don't you think. :-k
But how would you want to extend it further, that new bit with the hairpin isn't really good, it doesn't gel with the nice, fast corners.
DJS Exclusive - Proud member of team NL²
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

DJS wrote:Donington is a bit short, don't you think. :-k
But how would you want to extend it further, that new bit with the hairpin isn't really good, it doesn't gel with the nice, fast corners.
It's short, that's true, but i really don't know what they will change about it... The hairpins doesn't really fit with the fast corners, but on the other hand, it gives you a more variable track, with lots of different corners... :)
TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!
osamo
GP2 Newbie

Post by osamo »

Donington is great track I watching on tv sportcars race on this track....beatifull! Donington is one the oldest track on the world(pre war track)...In this track at 1993 Ayrton Senna in his McLaren get amazing wins.I'm happy becouse i don't like silverstone
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

More details about the plans for the renovation of the circuit and the facilities at Donington have been announced...

Press release-ish text:
http://www.donington-park.co.uk/events/ ... grand_prix

PDF files with diagrams:
http://www.donington-park.co.uk/formula-one-plans

The last PDF file there includes an overview of the new track layout. As discussed earlier, the track will/would be extended - and the layout of the downhill sweeps doesn't appear to be changed, which is very good news, I think. I'm really beginning to look forward to 2010 already. :)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

Guys,

I have to say that transferring the British GP from Silverstone to Donnington is brilliant news for several reasons.
Yes the Northamptonshire track has been 'the home of british motorsport' for years but it is for me, lacking in charisma. Sure we've had some stonking races there in the recent past but as someone who saw F1 on the 'old' silverstone layout from the mid 1980's - 1990, the place was never what it was since they slowed it down. Don't get me wrong, the new Becketts complex and Bridge corner are fantastic and the facilities for the general public are much improved, the teams test there so often and combined with other factors, mean that the racing (without rain) is usually dull.
Donnington on the other hand is going to offer something VERY different indeed...
As someone who sat in the pouring rain at the 'old hairpin' turn and witnessed Ayrton Senna drive round the OUTSIDE of Karl Wendlinger's Sauber through the daunting Craner Curves, the place has a special place in the heart and soul.
Yes it's not as 'big' as Silverstone in terms of space available but jesus, with the new layout they are proposing, it's gonna be great fun for drivers and fans alike.

regards,

Max
"There's nothing wrong with the car in front except that it's on fire!!!!!!!!!!!"
Murray Walker
DJS
GP2 Racer

Post by DJS »

The new proposed track looks to be great and very interesting. =D>
Start the building I'd say. :wink:

In a corner of the drawing I spot the museum, that brings back some good memories. 8)
DJS Exclusive - Proud member of team NL²
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Did anyone see a visualization of the plans? I mean 3D... the new pitlane building they want(ed) to build in Silverstone looked a bit weird to me, so I hope they have a different architect. ;-)

The new layout looks good, the track has tradition and character, so let's go to Donington in 2009! With the new aerodynamics of the cars we'll hopefully see great action there.

Now we have to see how far the building progress goes on and if everything is right with the finances.
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project