24 Heures du Mans

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
V12-Power
GP2 Star

24 Heures du Mans

Post by V12-Power »

Today the 75th 24 hours of Le Mans will start. And it will definitely get more exiting than the last 7 races which were all dominated by Audi (Bentley in 2003, but this car was actually an Audi, too). Thanks to Peugeot we have 2 serious contenders for the win this year.

The Peugeots will start from 1 and 3, while Audi qualified 2nd, 4th and 5th. The next faster car is the Pescarolo, but it would be a miracle if they could win the race.

It will be exiting to see if the Peugeots reliability is high enough to really compete with Audi over the complete 24 hours. But somehow I could imagine that, although it was not tested yet. But today you have such fantastic possibilities thanks to the progress with computers and software, that you should simulate it very well.

But let's see what the race brings, there are still a lot of components that can't be influenced by anyone.

Right now the only fact is, that 55 cars will start at 3pm. ;-)

PS.: It's fantastic that the LMP1 cars shall have closed roofs (like the Peugeot has already) from 2010 onwards. And they shall look closer to the roadcars of the manufactors. Sounds a bit like "back to Group-C"! :-)
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Can't help feeling it'll still be an Audi walkover though. The Peugeots haven't done a full 24 hours yet so their reliability may be a bit suspect. I find the GT battles more interesting, in particular GT2, mainly because last year's surprise winners, Team LNT Panoz, are based about ten miles away from where I live! I'll be looking out for the ultra-cool JLOC Lamborghini Murcielargo!
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Oh well, the Lambo did well. Out after three laps. Shame as it took a heroic effort to get it to start the race, it was virtually destroyed in practice and they had to get a brand new chassis from Germany!
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

The first hour isn't over yet, but it already looks already like an Audi walkover as you said Dan. :?
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Ah rain, the great leveller! Not that it'll make much difference in LMP1, Audi will still piss it... The in-car footage is pretty revealing, the Audi drivers seem to having an easy time of it, the Peugeot drivers are fighting the car all the time.
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Indeed, the handling of the Peugeots seems to be not easy. The car is very nervous.

Here in Germany we have 1:15 hours of live-coverage. It's great! I can't remember a year were there was less Le Mans on air in german TV. :evil:
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Over here in the UK the whole race is on live on MotorsTV. Looks like Audi aren't getting it all their way after all, big accident for Rockenfeller in the no.3 R10.
Chico Landi
GP2 Starter

7th hour of Race......

Post by Chico Landi »

Audi is the first..... 8)

Peugeot ??? + 3 laps........ :shock:

The AUDI R10 are the best ???? :?:
Chico Landi
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

Greyhead wrote:Over here in the UK the whole race is on live on MotorsTV. Looks like Audi aren't getting it all their way after all, big accident for Rockenfeller in the no.3 R10.
In GER the race is live (17 hours) on Premiere (Pay-Tv).
JV tonight :
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

1. Audi
2. Peugeot
3. Pescarolo

A really nice podium in my opinion. Congratulations to everybody!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Full marks to Aston Martin for finally toppling the Chevys in GT1, pity about Panoz in GT2 though, final finisher (5th) in class. Bit of a comedown after last year!
Shame about all the rain, Le Mans just seems much more special when it's sunny. However it did make life interesting for Binnie Motorsports (LMP2). They were dominating their class and came into the pits to re-solder the radio's electrics after rain had got into it. While it was there the mechanics found it actually had a major electrical problem and had to re-wire the whole car! They got going again with just two minutes left... Top stuff.
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Re: 24 Heures du Mans

Post by V12-Power »

If the ACO permits the entries, we will see 3 new closed LMP1 cars in addition to the Peugeot. I made a small compilation to present them.

Top left: Epsilon Euskadi - This is an all spanish project, so drivers are supposed to be spanish and sponsors probably, too. Former Tyrrell, Benetton and Prost Manager Joan Villadelprat is the head of this project. The team seems to have no backing problems, they have already constructed an own wind tunnel which will be finished by the end of the year. The first car shall be ready very soon, a roll-out is planned for mid-febuary!

Top right: This is the Dome. It shall be completed in february as well. The car is a completely new design and is called S102.

Bottom: The Lola B08/90 uses the V12 engine of the GT1 Aston Martin DBR9. That could probably make it a serious contender. The team also gets a lot of support from Aston Martin as it seems. I think it's the most promising project of those 3.

Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

I saw the Lola-Aston in a magazine last week, looks awesome! I understand the engine is the same as the DBR9GT's, it'll be interesting to see how a road-derived engine will go, especially as the new rules possibly coming in will be based on road-going machinery.
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

I really like this kind of closed prototype framework the new rules seem to motivate somehow, I've always liked cars like the Peugeot now, the Bentley, the Toyota or the Group C cars...
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Very nice shot of the new Lola taken during the roll-out.