Round 8 - Indianapolis (USA)

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
AD
GP2 Acc

Round 8 - Indianapolis (USA)

Post by AD »

Some prime-time racing again, and after what I read today, with a new face on board as Mr. Sebastian Vettel will apparently replace Robert Kubica who did not get clearance from the/his doctors to drive this weekend.

I hope I'll be watching live this weekend, unlike Canada... ;-)

(I think I know at least one British guy who could be happy about the Vettel news. :D)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

I hoped it would be Glock who replaces Kubica, but it was obvious that Vettel would, because he's longer in the team and did the friday-practices for BMW in 2006 and early 2007. But it would be nice, if Glock would get his chance in the next race, but I doubt that. Let's see what Vettel shows, if he's faster than Kubica BMW will probably drop the pole, like they did with JV. But I doubt this at well, I just wrote it to say again that the way they "fired" JV was not okay. ;-)

But I wish good luck to JV, Minassian and Gené this weekend, it's time that Audi gets beaten. It's getting boring somehow. Best thing would if Pescarolo beats Peugeot and Audi! 2 Great motorsport events in the TV this weekend, last weekend 3.. really a good time for us fans! :-)
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

I'd like to see Glock in an F1 car again as well. He's a bit of a forgotten man, very few people seem to remember that he scored points on his debut. In a Jordan... It doesn't help that he doesn't have the backing of a big name (he's backed by Deutsche Post, a big enough company but not exactly a motorsport powerhouse) and I guess his GP2 boss wouldn't be too happy about him injuring himself in an F1 race either! Maybe next season someone will pick him up. Prodrive enter next season: they'd do well to get someone like Glock in the car.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

Yep, definitely in. - http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=39621

I can't wait!!! I think Vettel is class, just hoping he will do good.
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

I crossed my fingers for Glock.... He has got more experience than Vettel. I think he would be the better choise... But Theissen and co think that Vettel is better... Well, let's see what will happen in the qualy and the race. I think Vettel will come in the last session in qually but he won't be better than Quick Nick 8)
- . -
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

In my opinion about this case, it's not so much about the experience (or the lack of it). Vettel is the official third driver at least this year (and AFAIK, has been ever since they parted ways with Villeneuve and "promoted" Kubica to being the second race driver last year). Vettel was the one of the two who not only had tests but the few Fridays early in the season - Timo Glock might have more experience racing in general, but probably didn't have as much mileage in the F1.07.

It's obviously a welcome chance for the team to evaluate Vettel under the circumstances of a "real" race weekend as he might be one of their priority choices for the possible future. I think it's reasonable to assume this will be a one-off incident, though - if there really were indications that Kubica could not be back in the car this year, having a second "more experienced" driver aboard would probably become more important (we've seen just that with McLaren last year, where they favored having De la Rosa in the car instead of trying out Paffett or quickly getting Hamilton in for the last few races).

But for all we know right now, Kubica could be back in the car the next race weekend, so they're probably taking this chance to a) do a test for the possible future and b) have a little extra media attention through this, because now I imagine certain German TV stations could follow them around even more than they already did. ;-)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..