Round 7 - Canada

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

I just read this:
" When I saw the accident on the screen, I thought that he was dead ", said Ronald Denis, boss of the rescue team, to the Canwest news service. " When we came to the scene of the accident, I was very glad to see that he could speak. " And this, although Kubica for some seconds after the crash had lost consciousness. Nevertheless, his first question was not as it goes for him, but: " Can I go on Sunday in Indianapolis? "
What a blooded driver he is!!!!
- . -
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

No broken leg, he WILL be racing at Indy. Unless the team decide to rest him.
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

The word "lucky" doesn't go far enough. I missed the race live but heard about the crash (my friend gave me updates), so I knew he hadn't been killed, but when I watched the highlights later on I was certain he must have been, even though I knew he was OK! How he survived that I'll never know. How he survived it with only a bruised ankle beggars belief! When you think about some other crashes where the driver hasn't been so fortunate: Schumacher, Silverstone '99 or Panis, Montreal '97, for example, they didn't look anywhere near as bad but they ended up with broken legs! Even Senna's fatal crash din't look as bad as Kubica's, but I suppose that shows how far cars have come since 1994. All in all, a bloody lucky bastard!
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
DJS
GP2 Racer

Post by DJS »

Well, since '99 the crashtests have been increased (heavier impacts) so the cars are much stronger than 8-10 years ago.

But I thought he was going to be dead as well, the same thought I had when I saw Legge's crash last year in CCWS.
But you can bet it goes wrong some time, when someone get's hit in the wrong angle. :?
(Also remember Coulthard and Wurz in Australia, earlier this year.)
DJS Exclusive - Proud member of team NL²
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Yeah, I guess crash testing is one thing we can thank (former FISA president - Max Mosley's predecessor) Jean-Marie Balestre for. He might have been a useless, contrary, unpopular, capricious egomaniac but crash testing cars was definitely one of his better ideas. Look at a Lotus 79 (used in 1978 when Balestre came to power) and then look at a Williams FW14 (from 1991 when he was replaced by Mosley) and the difference in safety is night and day. And then of course Mr. Mosley has continued the good work in that area. Even just a few years ago Kubica's accident would likely have been unsurvivable. Remember Luciano Burti's accident at Spa in 2001? That was of similar violence and he had to sit out the rest of the season!
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

if that had of been IRL or ChampCar, he really could have been dead.
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

Kubica crash, amateur video
http://www.myvideo.de/watch/1666206 :?