Major rule change for 2008!

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Major rule change for 2008!

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

Traction control will be banned from the start of next season as part of a rules shake-up aimed at reducing the impact of driver aids in Formula 1.

Read more....

http://www.itv-f1.com/News_Article.aspx?PO_ID=38812
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

I understand the motivation for banning driver aids or certain driver aids, but I think the question remains how they will ensure that no one will find some kind of way to use a traction control anyway.

Maybe there's a possibility though they can control that more easily with the standardized electronics that are supposed to be coming up, like, next year…
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

AD wrote:I understand the motivation for banning driver aids or certain driver aids, but I think the question remains how they will ensure that no one will find some kind of way to use a traction control anyway.

They (read FIA) seem to control the stuff by placing standard ECU, Engine Control Unit's. They can check lot's of data with this ECU, so it will be much easier to see if someone is using TC or not.
TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

Things like banning the Traction control don't make the F1 safter like MAX and BERNIE want. Either cheaper, I think.....

I don't undersatnd them!.... :wink:
- . -
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Dunno if F1 will get cheaper, I think the money you safe there will be invested in other parts of the car then. ;-) But the idea is right, so the quality of the start will depend more on the driver again.

I remember DC was known as fantastic starter once (back in 1997..). And I also remember many black moments for the Jordan team when the traction-control was re-introduced in 2000/01 I think.

@HF: I don't think that the ban will decrease the safety.
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

Hey, if it means more demand on the driver, I'm all for it. I love technology, but that should be around the driver. Not "helping" him how to drive.

99% come from karting. Those don't have traction control. So all drivers should be ok with it from their core years. If they moan, fuck 'em. Introduce it anyway!
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I like it becouse it will change the balance between drivers a bit.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Chico Landi
GP2 Starter

Post by Chico Landi »

This is good.

I agree. The good driver can't this. :wink:

Chico Landi.
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Ayrton Senna despised traction control because it meant someone who didn't have his skill in applying the throttle could keep up with him easier. Things like this can blur the distinction between great and good drivers. Jochen Rindt hated wings for the same reason. The ban can't come soon enough!

Applying the throttle (and brakes, and gearchanges for that matter) is a fundamental skill and the best drivers in the world should not need to have it done for them. OK, so paddle shift gearboxes cut engine rebuilds (which saves money and also makes life easier in these times of long-life engines) so we can let them go but everything else should be banned!
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!