The 10th team made it: STR

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
HF
GP2 Star

The 10th team made it: STR

Post by HF »

Here are some first pictures of the STR 2007:

I think the bull is just lighter and the blue darker. Also there are some small changes on the nose. looks great, I think.
- . -
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Fantastic... I hope they will be excluded from the WC. They can participate, but they shouldn't get points. :roll:
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

V12-Power wrote:I hope they will be excluded from the WC. They can participate, but they shouldn't get points. :roll:

Why? 'caus they seem to use a RB3 chassie?
- . -
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

I think the colors could appear different because it was a combination of neon lamps and camera flashlights in that pit...

The shape of the car is interesting though. When I saw the images I slightly felt like I heard someone from an orange or blue motorhome in Spain crying out, "I knew it! I k-n-e-w it!" :)

Apparently, there could be some legal activity before this year's Melbourne Grand Prix...
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Ah, all a load of hot air if you ask me.

I remember Paul Stoddart threatening legal action over something or other nearly every race and he always backed down, and he'd be the bloke most likely to do something! There'll be some sort of compromise somewhere. I also remember Frank Williams threatening the FIA with legal action on several occasions over the years and he's never gone through with it. I'd be very surprised if something like that does happen this year.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
DJS
GP2 Racer

Post by DJS »

I remember Minardi had to change it's car in 2005 at Melbourne to comply to the new rules.
They cut the diffuser and installed new rearwing-endplates. :?
If Toro Rosso is going to Melbourne with this car, don't expect them to score points, like V12 said.

By the way, the 2008(?) rule says you can buy last years chassis, not the new one. :wink:
DJS Exclusive - Proud member of team NL²
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

AD wrote:I think the colors could appear different because it was a combination of neon lamps and camera flashlights in that pit...

Jep, look at these pictures:

( higher version: http://www.f1fotos.be/recentefoto/wintertest/barA%20(5).jpg )

- . -
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

DJS - you are correct with your statement about Minardi, but like you say, it was to comply with new rules that came into force for 2005 regarding downforce. There are no new rules that the STR is breaking, at least not by the letter of the law. If they can prove they own the intellectual property rights of the car, and that they build it at their own factory, then they can score points. There's no rule that says you must design your own car (there is one that says your car must be unique but they can get around that by changing a few radii in non-critical places). It might not be in the spirit of the regulations but it breaks no rules. At least not at the moment...
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

V12-Power wrote:Fantastic... I hope they will be excluded from the WC. They can participate, but they shouldn't get points. :roll:

harsh words :wink:
Every competitive car is welcome :)
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I like the car...I don't like the drivers...
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Back to the "customer" car row... Nobody minded in the 1960's and 70's did they? A lot of the interest for me in that era of F1 is seeing who ran what cars at which races and how well they did. Plus it was a valuable showcase for young drivers with potential, they could just rent a car off an existing constructor (eg Lotus or March) and then show what they could do. Now there's no way of doing that. And with the restricted grid sizes of modern F1 there's less seats available in the first place so everyone looks to the experienced drivers (except Lewis Hamilton).
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

But in the 60's and 70's every team was officially allowed to buy a car by a manufactor like March. Today the situation is different: Williams could not just buy the Ferrari chassis for example. And back there there were no big teams which were backed by huge companies like Honda or Red Bull that bought those customer-chassis, it where small teams with people who loved racing (and did not only want to make PR).

I think it's just not fair that those B-teams use chassis they get from there A-teams. Those B-teams have almost no coasts or share the coasts with the A-team, which means in the end that they can afford more manpower for their chassis. The other teams, which construct their chassis on their own have to develope their cars on their own, that means the coast for their chassis developement is 1:1 (while the other have 1:2). For me there is no fairness.

I absolutely agree with Frank Williams and Patrick Head, they also made good proposals for a solution (no points, no money).
DJS
GP2 Racer

Post by DJS »

I don't mind people using last years chassis, because that will be the new rule.
What I do mind is that they use the new RB3 as base for the STR2, that's not legit, not now, not under the new rules.
The cars were both designed and built by Red Bull Technologies, if I'm correct. (By people of RBR and in the UK, so Faenza had enough time to make the prank pic....)
Now if Toro Rosso based the car on the RB2 and made it better and built it in Italy, I wouldn't mind.
This is just spending money on 1 car and build 2 of it, this way everybody can put a superteam together, you would have 2 times the budget, but spend it on just 1 cardesign...
DJS Exclusive - Proud member of team NL²
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

V12-Power: "And back there there were no big teams which were backed by huge companies like Honda or Red Bull that bought those customer-chassis"

Not strictly true... in (I think) 1967 Honda used a Lola design for their GP car after driver John Surtees refused to drive Honda's own design. And with good reason too: Jo Schlesser drove the "pukka" Honda in the French GP and died when it exploded after a crash...

And Frank Williams doesn't have all that much right to bemoan "customer" cars... Frank Williams Racing Cars (as his team was known initially) used a customer Brabham in the late 1960's. And several customer Marches in the early 1970's.
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

But as far as I know Lola build the chassis especially for Honda. It would be also OK if Toro Rosso would use a chassis Dallara or Lola build for them.

And referring to Frank Williams, I don't think we can compare the 60's with today. At least he didn't had a multi-million-dollar-company in his back when he bought customer Brabham.

BTW: When the car is constructed by Red Bull technologies, wouldn't Red Bull Racing and Toro Rosso have to have it in there team name? In 1990 Larrousse was disqualified for the whole season (think they scored 11 points back there), because they hadn't Lola (their chassis supplier) in their name.