The 10th team made it: STR

Here you can post everything to every motorsport!
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

Prodrive are gonna be using someones chassis from 2007 in 2008. Don't know who, rumour is Toyota, but personally, I highly doubt that cos Toyota are shit.

Eventually (if they stick at it), I think Prodrive could build their own and their own engine, maybe even get Subaru to work in with them (especially with the Rallying link).

I hate all this customer engine bollocks. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH COSWORTH? - Having a Ferrari or Toyota engine is like cheating for a team. Seriously, how can the Engineers take pride out of a car that isn't their build / design (SA, STR) and an Engine that isn't theirs (W, S, RB, STR). It's stupid.

F1 is going down a horrible path. There's basically 6 teams now, with 5 (6 from 2008) B teams.

Look at the list.

Top 6 = REAL Team (M, R, F, H, BMW, T)
Bottom 5 = B teams (RBR, W, STR, S, SA)

FACTS SPEAK.
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

Moonrakerâ„¢ wrote: Top 6 = REAL Team (M, R, F, H, BMW, T)
Bottom 5 = B teams (RBR, W, STR, S, SA)

I would make RBR in the "Top 6" (than it would be the top 7) because they have theri own B team or is STR a C team? And I think Red Bull woulldn't pay if they would be a real B team....
- . -
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

V12-power: referring to the Red Bull Technologies point, I seem to have a hazy recollection of an obscure rule that you can contract out the design and build of your team's car but if you buy the intellectual property rights it becomes "your" car. Or something. So all RBT have to do is "sell" these rights to whichever team for a nominal fee like a dollar and then the teams own the rights.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Moonrakerâ„¢ wrote:WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH COSWORTH?
The teams have to pay for the engine and now it's said that Williams gets free engines. I guess if RBR didn't want the Renault engine Toro Rosso would probably used the Cosworth V8...
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

Well, when you think of it like that, yes, STR are a C team. Agreed, RBR make their own chassis in Milton Keynes, but still don't use their "own" engine.

I just think that the engine thing is overlooked.

When Renault supplied Williams and Benetton, it was different. They were not a factory team. That is fine (i.e how Cosworth supplied STR and Williams).

Now everyone is on about chassis being the same, well why not for engines too.

F1 is the pinnacle of technology in motorsports, or nowadays, it should be. It's turning into a has been. People are using the same stuff, Hermann Tilke designs every track the same, the charactors of the sport are gone (JPN, Eddie Jordan, Stoddart and many more...) - It's all a downward spiral. I think I may just start watching another series soon enough.

I think teams who cannot compete in F1, shouldn't. SA did well to realise his dream in F1, but he cheated his way when you look at what other people (Giancarlo Minardi, Eddie Jordan etc.) all had to do to realise their dreams.

I hate B/C maybe even D teams in the future (WHO KNOWS???) - Really I do. BMW were the last saviours of a new team. They do it all themselves and props go to them.
In a time of global financial crisis... cheap motorsport is the key!! GPRL resumes in 2009!
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Now I get what you mean! And I agree with you!

Times when Williams+Benetton had Renault as partner, Jordan Peugeot etc. where somehow better! There was a team with an own character that was supplied by a company with the engine. Nowadays the companies want to make all on their own, because they can make more PR with it.

I really hope McLaren will never change completely into Mercedes for example. For me this is a relationship team/engine-supplier how it should be!
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
DJS
GP2 Racer

Post by DJS »

F1 is history in a few years.... :cry:

It's all getting to expensive and they will abandon Europe, need I say more.
DJS Exclusive - Proud member of team NL²
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Europe will always have a part to play in F1, all the expertise, experience and infrastructure is here. You can't just buy that kind of experience. Although we are seeing F1 reach new markets in terms of circuits (for example China, Bahrain etc), these countries just don't have the motorsport infrastructure in place to do much else. How many drivers from Dubai can you name, for example? Even a country as large as China only has a couple of drivers knocking around below F1. And without drivers, there's very little impetus for anything else. Even with the phenomenal popularity of Fernando Alonso in Spain, the country still has very few racing car constructors (I can only think of SEAT, who are German-owned anyway), and no Spanish driver since Alonso has made it to F1, although there are a few "bubbling under" like Adrian Valles and Borja Garcia, and several circuits are coming to prominence. So I wouldn't worry about the likes of China yet.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

I think Tilke is close with a prophecy he made in an interview this week: F1 will always have races in Europe, but there won't be two races in the same country anymore...

Plus, if Ecclestone talks about getting up to 20 races a year, he obviously wants to expand the calendar instead of just knocking out European races.

You also have to bear in mind that not every new Grand Prix does come through. There's talk about a GP in Russia for years, they even had a location at one point but it's still up in the air... same for places like Mexico.

And a few races in a few new exciting places could really add to the show, I think. There was a first Grand Prix in places like Adelaide, Imola or Montreal, too. There's no tradition without starting it at one point... ;-)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
Moonrakerâ„¢
GP2 Racer

Post by Moonrakerâ„¢ »

If your talking about races in Europe...

ANOTHER THING THAT REALLY PISSES ME OFF...

ROTATE EUROPEAN TRACKS!
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

But what is wrong with Car Manufactures Teams like Ferrari, Toyota, Renault, etc..? :shock:

The F1 is nowadays to expensive and gives no value for money - if Renault wins a race, their streetcars salesment goes better as an example - to run it like in the former days. :(

So, you can say that F1 right now is (just) an advert for selling streetcars, but it´s the only way F1 can excist now and in the future... :cry:
TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!