IPX LAN: get invitation, then nothing

Here you can post criticisms, ideas or questions to the forum!
fantomas76
GP2 Newbie

IPX LAN: get invitation, then nothing

Post by fantomas76 »

Hi mates, first post here, happy to join the community.

I've got a problem trying to start an IPX LAN session. The two PCs are connected (through wi-fi under XP 32bit SP3) and one send the invitation. When the other accepts, I can read a quick message about starting the .exe and setting the audio, but then a black screen appears. With Ctrl+Alt+Canc I can see the process is normally running, but no way to get on.

Can you help me? Thank you in advance.
fantomas76
GP2 Newbie

Re: IPX LAN: get invitation, then nothing

Post by fantomas76 »

I forgot to mention that I can only start the invitation process when I double click on the GP2LAP.EXE own icon, because clicking the VDMS shortcut of GP2Lap leads me to the message "*** ipx: can't find ipx driver", even if the two players are already seeing each other. No matter what icon I double click first: with the normal one I always get that message, with the VDMS one the players can invite themselves, then the game doesn't start.
Philip00
GP2 Newbie

Post by Philip00 »

fantomas76 wrote:I forgot to mention that I can only start the invitation process when I double click on the GP2LAP.EXE own icon, because clicking the VDMS shortcut of GP2Lap leads me to the message "*** ipx: can't find ipx driver", even if the two players are already seeing each other. No matter what icon I double click first: with the normal one I always get that message, with the VDMS one the players can invite themselves, then the game doesn't start.
Tell me the 2 computer operating system and how you do lan, via dosbox or just wifi?
fantomas76
GP2 Newbie

Post by fantomas76 »

Just wi-fi under Win XP 32bit SP3. I didn't install DOSBox because apparently not required for my configuration, infact the two laptops see each other and the game starts on both when I want to play singularly. It doesn't start when under IPX session.
Philip00
GP2 Newbie

Post by Philip00 »

Tell me your config of your computers
fantomas76
GP2 Newbie

Post by fantomas76 »

My laptop is an ASUS F7Fseries (F7F)
17'' WXGA+
CPU Intel Duo T2130 @ 1,86 GHz
RAM 1,99 GB
VGA Intel 945 Express Chipset Family
Wi-Fi Intel PRO/Wireless 3945ABG Network Connection
Ethernet Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller

All drivers are the latest, except for the Wi-Fi card, because its latest drivers don't support Novell Client.

I guess I'll give the other laptop configuration later in the day.
Last edited by fantomas76 on 31.07.2013, 15:37, edited 1 time in total.
fantomas76
GP2 Newbie

Post by fantomas76 »

The other laptop is an ASUS X52Jseries (X52JR)
15.6''
CPU Intel i5-520M @ 2.4 GHz
RAM 2,98 GB (actually are 4, but XP 32 bit only sees 3, previously under Win Vista)
VGA ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5470 DDR3 1GB
Wi-Fi Atheros AR9285 Wireless Network Adapter
Ethernet JMicron PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Adapter

All drivers are the latest.
fantomas76
GP2 Newbie

Post by fantomas76 »

I suppose some hidden hardware/software mismatch is costing me a lot of time and is driving me mad. I can't manage to play by LAN. Fullstop. I give up.