GP2 1991 Season MOD (BETA Version)

Here you can post criticisms, ideas or questions to the forum!
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

GP2 1991 Season MOD (BETA Version)

Post by ngendro »

Hi there my friends.

Yesterday I've finally finished the 1991 MOD for GP2. I've been working on this MOD for aprox. 1 month and a half.
The MOD includes all cars, drivers, tracks, sounds, helmets, shapes, menu pictures of the 1991 Formula 1 season and a "Engine Sound Selection" program I made that lets you select which engine sound to use on the GP2 (V12, V10 or V8) in order to make the simulation more real. I developed new engine loops, downshifts and flyby sounds according to each type of engine.
I developed this MOD basing myself on the 1991 season drivers and cars performance, results, and I adjusted each track slot for real 1991 lap times.

IMPORTANT: This mode is not suitable for multi session (more than one player).

This MOD has an Installer that installs the whole working directory on your C:\.
IMPORTANT: You MUST install the GP2 1991 MOD directory on your C:\ root directory. If you install it in any other directory it won't work.
This MOD pacckage includes VDMSound for those who use WinXP and DOSBox for those who use W7.
If you have already mounted C:\ in your DOSBox conf file, please unmount it. Otherwise the DOSBox shortcut won´t work.

Read the INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS carefully.

I hope you enjoy this MOD and give me your feedback in order to improve it.

Any questions/doubts you have, feel free to contact me.

Download link (mediafire): http://www.mediafire.com/?m1istj523mq3m2u

greetings from Argentina!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE!!

Our friend rremedio made a patch for fix the C:\ only directory issue. If you want to use the GP2 1991 MOD in other directory, you must download and run the "updatesystem" patch by rremedio. I used it in WinXP and works perfectly.
If you're gonna use GP2 1991 MOD in the C:\ directory, then you don't need this patch.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/?14w45v4juovb7rw

Follow his instructions:

You must install the mod in any folder, then put updatesystem.exe on your xx\GP21991 folder (always that folder...the same folder as GP2 1991 MOD.exe) and run it. It should update all the files with the correct paths.

There are some issues:

1. The script was writen with Ruby, but Ruby won't produce windows exes (the user should have Ruby installed to use the script, just like Java) so I've used also Ocra which is a tool to create windows .exes from Ruby scripts. The problem of making this way is that the .exe will always be too big (in this case, more than 3MB for a simple script) and will always lag a little to launch (you have to wait between 1 and 30 seconds for the script to run). It's lagging just 1 second on my system, but I have Ruby installed and I don't know if this makes it launch faster.

2. Becouse of some Ocra related issues, I'm not sure the script will work on other people systems (it worked on my system) so it would be good if more people test it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UPDATE 2

Phoenix Track changed to real 1991 track layout. Mediafire download link updated.

cheers.
Last edited by ngendro on 07.09.2012, 13:17, edited 6 times in total.
DEHUMANIZER95
GP2 Racer

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by DEHUMANIZER95 »

Send the Carset to AAS via Email.
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

DEHUMANIZER95 wrote:Send the Carset to AAS via Email.
This is not a CARSET. This is a complete new installation of GP2 and couple of directories and files that work with the engine sound selector.
The installation exe is aprox 65MB sized.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Great news! Season packages rule!
ngendro wrote: May I upload this MOD and share it with you? (It includes the modified GP2 software)
Of course you can.

Surelly there must be legality doubts when you include other people's works in a package, but giving them the credits solves it i most cases (and it's way to go even without permission issues). I don't know about releasing a package with full GP2 included, as it might be illegal (I have to say that my newer GP2 installations are all downloaded from the internet, as my cd has some corrupted files).
ngendro wrote: Where should I uplode it?
You can send the files to AAS and he will check it and upload to grandprix2.de, the place where you want your files to be, as most people will check for GP2 files there. If he thinks something is illegal, I think he won't upload (mostly to keep the site out of trouble), but them you can upload on mediafire or something and give us the link. And of course you could change the package to fix those issues (but I don't think there will be any issues, really). Mail him and lets see what he says.
ngendro wrote: This is not a CARSET. This is a complete new installation of GP2 and couple of directories and files that work with the engine sound selector.
About this and the "C:/" installation requirement. GP2 doesn't need any particular path to work and several people like me use to keep several installations of GP2 in the same HD. Surely it's a requirement from your Engine Sound Selector. I think it would be nice if you manage to get rid of this requirement in the future. Anyway, it's something I can live with and GP2Edit is able to export sounds, so you can make carsets with the sound packages in meantime, if people complain.

And to finish: season packages rule! :mrgreen:

I really want to see your work.

Just a question: any particular reason for the need of VDMS? I use Win7 + DosBox, VDMS in not an option to me.

Regards!
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

rremedio wrote:Great news! Season packages rule!
ngendro wrote: May I upload this MOD and share it with you? (It includes the modified GP2 software)
Of course you can.

Surelly there must be legality doubts when you include other people's works in a package, but giving them the credits solves it i most cases (and it's way to go even without permission issues). I don't know about releasing a package with full GP2 included, as it might be illegal (I have to say that my newer GP2 installations are all downloaded from the internet, as my cd has some corrupted files).
ngendro wrote: Where should I uplode it?
You can send the files to AAS and he will check it and upload to grandprix2.de, the place where you want your files to be, as most people will check for GP2 files there. If he thinks something is illegal, I think he won't upload (mostly to keep the site out of trouble), but them you can upload on mediafire or something and give us the link. And of course you could change the package to fix those issues (but I don't think there will be any issues, really). Mail him and lets see what he says.
ngendro wrote: This is not a CARSET. This is a complete new installation of GP2 and couple of directories and files that work with the engine sound selector.
About this and the "C:/" installation requirement. GP2 doesn't need any particular path to work and several people like me use to keep several installations of GP2 in the same HD. Surely it's a requirement from your Engine Sound Selector. I think it would be nice if you manage to get rid of this requirement in the future. Anyway, it's something I can live with and GP2Edit is able to export sounds, so you can make carsets with the sound packages in meantime, if people complain.

And to finish: season packages rule! :mrgreen:

I really want to see your work.

Just a question: any particular reason for the need of VDMS? I use Win7 + DosBox, VDMS in not an option to me.

Regards!
God!! I forgot some people uses DOSBOX! I do not use it because of my shity PC, VMDS works better. I will make a package specially for DOS boxers.

The main idea I had was to make an installation for GP2 that allows anyone without GP2 editing knowledge to play GP2. That's why I made the full installation package and the sound selector. But you're right, it's no legal to upload GP2 software...

Thanks for your detalied reply. I will email AAS and see what happen.

Greetings from Argentina.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I really don't know if it's illegal. There's the abandonware thing and sometimes I read claims of it being legal or illegal. So what matters is AAS policy on those files.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Your mod is a great news! The Engine selection is really a very good idea.! Could you post some pictures? :)
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

I already mailed AAS. I hope to hear from him soon. I'll post some pictures later ;)
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

I think he's busy right now because I sent him my 1982's mod in June...
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

Michael82 wrote:I think he's busy right now because I sent him my 1982's mod in June...
crap.....
Maybe I should upload it to mediafire and give you the download link.
What do you say?
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Yes! :) you can do like that.
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

uploading to mediafire.....
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

Post by ngendro »

Michael82 wrote:Yes! :) you can do like that.
first message edited. I included the download link.
enjoy!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

This is awesome idea at all but I have few things to say:
1. Modified game - very good idea!
2. New mod and so many detailed things - very good!
3. Sound selector - very good idea!
4. DOSBOX - awesome improvement over your project!
5. C directory - ........can you explain what exactly is the reason for this?

I want a one thing:
1. Any directory.

That's all man, your work is very appreciated but you must correct this thing. :wink:
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Congratulations for your mod ngendro! The pictures of the menu and the engine sound selection are awesome ! Could you tell us how you did it (for the engine selection)?