GP2 1991 Season MOD (BETA Version)

Here you can post criticisms, ideas or questions to the forum!
eky78
GP2 Starter
Posts: 102
Joined: 05.02.2012, 12:15
Contact:

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by eky78 »

This is another great and very accurate work! =D> =D> Some new features like the sounds tool but i liked also the handling of the car...now I can overtake using the wake of the car in front until the last meter :D

Magny Cours I think needs an update. Only in 1991, the layout was a little bit different with a small section of curves just after the Adelaide Hairpin. I remember this because it was reproduced also in F1GP :)

However as already said, your work is fantastic and I really hope to see more mods from you!!

About GP2, for me it has only 2 problems:
- limit of 28 cars and 14 teams
- limit of track size (means no real LeMans or Nordschleife)
For the rest it is better than any other game \:D/

ngendro
GP2 Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: 01.07.2012, 18:53

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by ngendro »

eky78 wrote:This is another great and very accurate work! =D> =D> Some new features like the sounds tool but i liked also the handling of the car...now I can overtake using the wake of the car in front until the last meter :D

Magny Cours I think needs an update. Only in 1991, the layout was a little bit different with a small section of curves just after the Adelaide Hairpin. I remember this because it was reproduced also in F1GP :)

However as already said, your work is fantastic and I really hope to see more mods from you!!

About GP2, for me it has only 2 problems:
- limit of 28 cars and 14 teams
- limit of track size (means no real LeMans or Nordschleife)
For the rest it is better than any other game \:D/
Thank you!! I on't have magny cours 1991 track. Also I tried to include the Hockenheim 1991 track I downloaded but the AI was terrible on the second chicane, so I had to switch to the original GP2 hockenheim.
If anyone could make these two tracks, I will gladly include them on the 1991 season MOD.

cheers!

I

ngendro
GP2 Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: 01.07.2012, 18:53

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by ngendro »

Hi everyone.

I changed the phoenix track to the real 1991 layout. I updated the MOD download link on the first post so you can download it again.

Peze, thanks for advise!

Happy racing!

ngendro

User avatar
rremedio
GP2 Star
Posts: 1416
Joined: 14.01.2007, 15:05

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by rremedio »

This is an updated version with improved ccline for Hockenheim 82-89 by Richard Groniu. It was made quickly to be used in FGP2 sometime ago, so I'm not sure the ccline is good enough for races with AI, but you may check it and tell what you think.

It's not the same layout from 91, but is closer to that track than the 94 one.
Attachments
hock82_ccline_update.zip
(13.91 KiB) Downloaded 285 times
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion" - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell by William Blake

Image

User avatar
DEHUMANIZER95
GP2 Racer
Posts: 360
Joined: 27.03.2010, 18:21
Contact:

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by DEHUMANIZER95 »

rremedio wrote:I really don't know if it's illegal. There's the abandonware thing and sometimes I read claims of it being legal or illegal. So what matters is AAS policy on those files.
As I know, GP2 is NOT Abadonware, it still needs some years, while GP1 (World Circuit Racing) already is. And AAS upload the files under the terms of the german law, so if something is illegal in germany, you won't find it here.
Image

User avatar
rremedio
GP2 Star
Posts: 1416
Joined: 14.01.2007, 15:05

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by rremedio »

DEHUMANIZER95 wrote:
rremedio wrote:I really don't know if it's illegal. There's the abandonware thing and sometimes I read claims of it being legal or illegal. So what matters is AAS policy on those files.
As I know, GP2 is NOT Abadonware, it still needs some years, while GP1 (World Circuit Racing) already is. And AAS upload the files under the terms of the german law, so if something is illegal in germany, you won't find it here.
Fair enough. :yes:

Just a question: how many years take for a game become abandonware? Most abandonware sites list GP2 or other 1996 games. And another question: is abandonware legal somewhere?
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion" - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell by William Blake

Image

User avatar
DEHUMANIZER95
GP2 Racer
Posts: 360
Joined: 27.03.2010, 18:21
Contact:

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by DEHUMANIZER95 »

Around 16-17 years or so.... example: Carmageddon (1997) will become Abadonware in 2013, if SCi won't do anything to expand the contract for it. I think the same is going with GP2

In General: Abadonware is software, which isn't supported anymore by the publisher, so it is legal to download and to edit by yourself and more.
Image

User avatar
Greyhead
GP2 Star
Posts: 1156
Joined: 01.01.2007, 16:17
Location: Sheffield, England
Contact:

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by Greyhead »

I disagree - the way I understand it, copyright applies for 70 years after release or 70 years after the author (in this case Geoff Crammond) has died (at least in the UK and USA). Therefore abandonware IS NOT legal to download and distribute, although it is unlikely that any claim for copyright breach would be pursued for something like GP2 as it is intended for an old system (DOS) that is no longer supported.

Indeed this is the case for any software ever written - no software is actually old enough for copyright to have expired yet, except in special cases where publishers or copyright holders have relinquished their rights over it.
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!

User avatar
AD
GP2 Acc
Posts: 720
Joined: 12.09.2006, 15:02

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by AD »

Once again, the term "abandonware" doesn't define any kind of legal status. It's a word that's been invented to describe software that's no longer actively supported by the developer, software that's no longer being sold in stores etc because it's been years since the original release, and operating systems, hardware and people have moved on. It's also used as developers and publishers can be acquired by other entities or just shut down completely and, thus, it may not be immediately clear who is the current copyright holder.

Copyright protection, however, still applies, unless the original dev / publisher have explicitly revoked all their rights. I'm not aware this has happened with GP2 and, personally, I wouldn't hold my breath for it happening...

So sharing and / or downloading "abandonware" can still be considered copyright infringement. Yeah, a practical question would be how likely it may be that the rights holder is going to intervene, but again, even if those who could do something about it haven't yet stepped in can't be considered an endorsement or anything like that.
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..

User avatar
rremedio
GP2 Star
Posts: 1416
Joined: 14.01.2007, 15:05

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by rremedio »

Some publishers had released old games for free to please their communities or just as marketing strategy to revemp the company name (on top of my mind: Championship Manager 01-02 and Tyrian, but there are several others). But I don't see MicroProse or Geoff Crammond ever doing this too, unfortunately.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion" - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell by William Blake

Image

ngendro
GP2 Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: 01.07.2012, 18:53

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by ngendro »

Hello my friends!

Just to tell you that I'm still working in this MOD. I'm correcting some problems I found testing it, like for example in the "ACE" difficulty mode the cars are almost unbeatable in some tracks, Estoril I found that has a bad CC line so I'm considering to switch to another version of the track, etc. Just minor changes I have to fix, but they require hours and hours of testing and editing.

You'll have news from me soon when I finish the 1991 MOD 2.0!

cheers.

User avatar
RacerBG
GP2 Pro
Posts: 999
Joined: 09.08.2010, 17:57
Location: Bulgaria

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by RacerBG »

Today I will be finally able to test your great mod because I was able to be back in town....for a while. :lol:

ngendro
GP2 Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: 01.07.2012, 18:53

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by ngendro »

RacerBG wrote:Today I will be finally able to test your great mod because I was able to be back in town....for a while. :lol:
Great! I hope you like it.
Take in mind that the version that you have is a "beta" version. Now I'm trying to release the final version.

Happy racing!

User avatar
RacerBG
GP2 Pro
Posts: 999
Joined: 09.08.2010, 17:57
Location: Bulgaria

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by RacerBG »

Installing in any directory, apply the patch, starting from simstarter\DOSBOX Simulation Starter.....and bad or missing F1SYSTEM.DAT file.... Of course I replaced it but it was the same error again. And at all is very confusing this game structure. In future you can try to include GP2LAP and ake more clear folder system. :wink:

I will wait for version 2.0. :lol:

ngendro
GP2 Newbie
Posts: 35
Joined: 01.07.2012, 18:53

Re: GP2 1991 Season MOD - By ngendro

Post by ngendro »

RacerBG wrote:Installing in any directory, apply the patch, starting from simstarter\DOSBOX Simulation Starter.....and bad or missing F1SYSTEM.DAT file.... Of course I replaced it but it was the same error again. And at all is very confusing this game structure. In future you can try to include GP2LAP and ake more clear folder system. :wink:

I will wait for version 2.0. :lol:
Why don't you try a new installation on your C:\ as destiny directory and not apply the patch? Try to run the game that way and see if it works. It's the first time that I hear that error with this MOD.

Let me know when you do that.

Post Reply