Simtek Challenge

Here you can post criticisms, ideas or questions to the forum!
MalteseFalcon
GP2 Newbie

Simtek Challenge

Post by MalteseFalcon »

Hello Grand Prix 2 fans, Maltese Falcon here...

After many years away, I've recently started playing GP2 again and it's still fantastic!

I got back into the game largely thanks to stumbling across some excellent YouTube videos (GP2 Joey and Ted Meat).

These guys inspired me to start my own GP2 channel and I thought people on this forum might be interested :)

My channel is based around what I'm calling the "Simtek Challenge". Basically this involves me trying to win the championship against Ace opposition driving a Simtek with team dependent power (about minus 90bhp compared to default). The races are 100% distance and streamed live on Fridays (mostly).

Channel Link
https://www.youtube.com/@maltesefalcongp

First Race Link -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IPL1NBd ... C00vtWmC18

It's been a fun start to the season and it would be great to see you swing by.

Cheers!
narva93
GP2 Starter

Re: Simtek Challenge

Post by narva93 »

Sounds interesting, and I have another idea, you could create a spec-series Simtek F1. :D
El seny, si no es combina amb una ferma voluntat de combat, no és res més que una mostra de covardia.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Hello and welcome!

Seems cool and I'll keep and eye.

Is it possible to reach 200 MPH before Tosa with 695 HP?? =D> I'll have to try it!

Cheers
MalteseFalcon
GP2 Newbie

Post by MalteseFalcon »

Haha, yes it's possible but you have to set the rear wing downforce to 1! This makes the car quite tricky to drive over a 100% race distance but I guess that's why they call it the Simtek Challenge! ;)
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Sounds like a fun challenge :D

Leading an underdog to glory, especially sympathic teams like Simtek, is always nice.

If it gets too easy you can additionally think of reducing player car grip to also simulate an inferiour chassis besides the engine.

Have fun :mrgreen:
Last edited by MaxX on 01.12.2022, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
MalteseFalcon
GP2 Newbie

Post by MalteseFalcon »

Thanks for the welcome and your ideas guys, much appreciated. Great community here :D
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

I could suggest to you adding up the car setup editing phase to your videos. Ted Meat does it and some others too, like Peter M https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdRuG8YcnyY&t=54s

This way we could get more insight on how you're coping with your massive power disadvantage.
Looking forward to Magny-Cours!
MalteseFalcon
GP2 Newbie

Post by MalteseFalcon »

Hi Ismael. Good suggestion! I will be sure to add this before I talk about race strategy.

The championship is getting quite interesting after last race in Canada. I have to admit I'm not massively confident about my pace around Magny Cours. I haven't practiced yet but I remember struggling there vs CC in the past (and that was with full power! 😅). Also reliability is always a concern!

Btw, I essentially have two baseline setups (low downforce and high downforce). I run the low downforce setup for most races and basically tweak the front wing and ride height accordingly.
MalteseFalcon
GP2 Newbie

Post by MalteseFalcon »

Hi all,

French GP - Round 7 of the Simtek Challenge is now online - https://youtu.be/3OXX7o-kXX8

I was nervous about this one and maybe rightly so :lol:

Hope you enjoy.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Hi Maltese Falcon! Thank you very much for your setup sharing. I made a brief test with it and, in fact, it works. It will end up helping me understand a lot more the setups in GP2.

I remember RRemedio saying around here once that the setups in GP2 were far from perfect compared with later games and specially modern ones, and your setup demonstrates this. Ideally, the best setup should not rely in extreme values all across, but the fact (as far as I could tell in my brief test) is that it works - and that's what matters.

Regarding your race in France, it looks like you had a small "Friedrich Bang moment"! But that's what make these races interesting! All experienced GP2 drivers now that small kinks like that one just after Estoril corner in Magny-Cours might pull you into the grass and generate a shunt - but are we able to realise and avoid that when we're full racing ourselves? I'm not sure I am, indeed; a little distraction and I could be gone into the grass too.

Let's go for the remainder of the Simtek challenge, good luck!
MalteseFalcon
GP2 Newbie

Post by MalteseFalcon »

Hi Ismael.

Yes, this type of car setup certainly isn't realistic and like you say Microprose fixed this "hack" for GP3.

As for France, for sure I was too impatient lapping my "teammate". Schumacher opened up a 3 second gap at the start but as tyre wear kicked in I felt the momentum slowly coming back to me. I remember I had the gap down to 2 seconds and I really didn't want to lose too much time in traffic. With this in mind, I took a risk... :oops: :lol:

Alas, just a bad day at the office. At least now the championship is really starting to hot up! Both Schumi and Hill are well in contention so I'm looking to bounce back at Silverstone! :wink:
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

ismael wrote:
18.12.2022, 15:00
Hi Maltese Falcon! Thank you very much for your setup sharing. I made a brief test with it and, in fact, it works. It will end up helping me understand a lot more the setups in GP2.

I remember RRemedio saying around here once that the setups in GP2 were far from perfect compared with later games and specially modern ones, and your setup demonstrates this. Ideally, the best setup should not rely in extreme values all across, but the fact (as far as I could tell in my brief test) is that it works - and that's what matters.

Regarding your race in France, it looks like you had a small "Friedrich Bang moment"! But that's what make these races interesting! All experienced GP2 drivers now that small kinks like that one just after Estoril corner in Magny-Cours might pull you into the grass and generate a shunt - but are we able to realise and avoid that when we're full racing ourselves? I'm not sure I am, indeed; a little distraction and I could be gone into the grass too.

Well, funnily enough, these extreme setups don't work at all when you're playing with wheel and pedals, and no aids at all. You lose the rear of the car almost instantly, making it impossible to benefit from them.
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

Post by roland ratzenberger »

Aerond wrote:
21.12.2022, 22:58
ismael wrote:
18.12.2022, 15:00

Well, funnily enough, these extreme setups don't work at all when you're playing with wheel and pedals, and no aids at all. You lose the rear of the car almost instantly, making it impossible to benefit from them.
exactly mate. the last couple of years i play gp2 with steering wheel and with keyboard. and it amazes me how different the setups seems to function with steering wheel, But even with keyboard rear wing to 1 will give you the chance to make one or two good quali laps but when it comes to race, it is quite difficult to keep your consistency.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Thanks for the input, guys. I confirm I'm playing with keyboard. Still planning for a wheel... let's see if 2023 is the year :lol:
MalteseFalcon
GP2 Newbie

Post by MalteseFalcon »

Hi again.

Round 9 at Hockenheim turned out to be a very eventful race! https://youtu.be/ytkc8mjyzOI

As predicted I struggled massively on the straights but at least I was able to have some fun battling with Berger in the first stint.

The race had a few interesting twists and turns so I won't spoil it for those who haven't seen it yet :wink:

Needless to say, the drivers championship is now really hotting up! 🔥