The Color Purple....

Here you can post criticisms, ideas or questions to the forum!
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

The Color Purple....

Post by jakesanson »

I've found myself editing liveries again with Paint.NET and MsPaint. But purple and pink don't seem to work in GP2 and just come out gold.

Has anybody ever been able to find a shade of purple or pink that works and looks good in game that they'd be able to share?
Find me on @jakesansonofficial or www.jakesanson.com
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Come and play the RRML using Grand Prix 2 via Downforce Racing YouTube channel!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: The Color Purple....

Post by rremedio »

palette.PNG
This is a picture of GP2 color palette from Gimp. IIRC, the colors from 246 to 254 can't be used so this leaves us without any purple or pink.

What can be done is using another color and then changing the palette with track commands as described in this tutorial -> http://grandprix2.de/Anleitung/tutus/0xc9/cmd_0xc9.htm

That way you can get any color. But be mindful that doing this will change any occurrence of that color (from cars or track textures) to the color defined by the 0xc9 command.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Do you know why 246 - 254 can't be used?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

samsepi0l wrote:
18.01.2021, 19:11
Do you know why 246 - 254 can't be used?
I have no idea. If you use them, the pixels with that index will appear as transparent in the game. But index 0 is also transparent and it is the one used in the original jam files for transparency. I suppose those other indexes exist so the game engine can perform some other transparency tricks not related to the content displayed by jam files (maybe turning parts of the car transparent when there is damage or something related to view distances, etc), but that's just a guess.
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Question- I used color 244 to make a paintjob on a CAR. The car comes up right in GP2 edit, but when I load it into the game it looks like the shades of yellow that are up above (colors 48 through 63).

When Load the car into Gp2edit it looks correct though...
losel.jpg
I have used some of the "oddball" colors before without problems (242, and 240) - just not sure why this one isn't working right...
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

No clue, really. Maybe it is something with the shading, idk.
Early 90s F1 forever!