Magic data

Here you can post criticisms, ideas or questions to the forum!
dammit6000
GP2 Newbie

Magic data

Post by dammit6000 »

Hi all,

I have tried to move Hungaroring track into slot 9 (from slot 10). The CCs and player car can't follow the CC line and constantly crashing. Also the pit box calling appears out as the CCs only do an outlap each time before coming to the pits.
I have tried varying all the values with rrmedio's magic data and nothing makes any difference to these two problems.
Any help?

Also I notcied that if you set the race timing paramter too high (eg above 19200) the race starting procedure takes forever.

Thanks in advance.
DaSilva82
GP2 Starter

Re: Magic data

Post by DaSilva82 »

Hey,
You should copy the complete Magic data from slot 10 and paste of into slot 9.
Remember that every track has it's own particular data and that trowing around some values isn't the solution.
I know that some slots behave different in lap timing (slot 1 for instance) but I think of you try this everything should behave normal again.
Good luck!
The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose.
dammit6000
GP2 Newbie

Post by dammit6000 »

Thanks dasilva82,

I did try to copy all the slot data from 10 into 9 but still the same result. I did manage to fix the issue though. I changed value 20 (pit exit) from 10 to 20 and everything suddenly worked. The cars must have been stuck in a pit exit mode.
If you are listening rrmedio, you might want to add a note to the readme that this can happen if value 20 is too low.

Thanks all.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Hey! Which version are you use to export magic data? I remember there was an old version which was bugged and wouldn't export values of 10 correctly. (this shouldn't be a problem with v1.1 or later but maybe you still have an old version of the Exporter script I made back then).

The original value for "distance to pit out" (factor 10) for Hungaroring is indeed 10, so it can't be the wrong value.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
dammit6000
GP2 Newbie

Post by dammit6000 »

Hi rrmedio,

I used GP2MDex_b1_1.exe to export the slot data. This might be an old verison but I am running the game on Win98 machine and this is the only version I could get to work. So if "10" isn't exported in this version what is imported instead. Anyway when I chnaged it to 20 the track works perfectly now. :)
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

dammit6000 wrote:
09.04.2019, 08:18
Hi rrmedio,

I used GP2MDex_b1_1.exe to export the slot data. This might be an old verison but I am running the game on Win98 machine and this is the only version I could get to work. So if "10" isn't exported in this version what is imported instead. Anyway when I chnaged it to 20 the track works perfectly now. :)
I'm not really sure it has been a long time. I think it exported an extra byte resulting in an absurdly large number. My "solution" back then was to use 9 or 11 instead.

But now let us get some good news. I finally managed to install VB6 under Windows 10 which means I can now make smaller programs that run in older systems. I was so hopeless about this that I was testing making gp2 programs in java, but it adds other problems (and won't run on older systems with the java dev platform I have access to).

So here is my first try. I'm calling it GP2 Slot Editor Light and if it works fine for most people I may expand the other features into it. For now it only imports/exports magic data (no loading of files yet, so you must type the data you want to enter). Download here

It runs on newer Windows too, but some systems may complain about the lack of some missing runtime package or something like that. If it happens, just google for the file name it is complaining cause they are easy to find.

It was only tested under Win10 but I hope it works for you.
Early 90s F1 forever!
dammit6000
GP2 Newbie

Post by dammit6000 »

Hi Rremedio, I think you were right about a value of 10 being exported wrongly and instead it was just exporting a huge number. Interesting to see the effect that a big number in the "pit exit" field has on the track. Check it out if you get a chance. Thanks for the new editor, I have downloaded it and will try it soon and let you know.
dammit6000
GP2 Newbie

Post by dammit6000 »

... also, did you see my comment about if you set the race timing paramter too high (eg above 19200) the race starting procedure takes forever? Try it also if you want. You might want to put a warning in your readme file.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

dammit6000 wrote:
10.04.2019, 09:31
... also, did you see my comment about if you set the race timing paramter too high (eg above 19200) the race starting procedure takes forever? Try it also if you want. You might want to put a warning in your readme file.
Yeah, it changes the clock speed and it will result in weird things if you use values too high or too low. Apparently, the race start will take an amount of "in-game seconds" and it will be distorted by the racing timing factor. That's already noticeable with the original tracks, but there is a threshold value in the lower side (and possibly in the higher too), which I don't know the number but I tested small values when I figured it was a clock thing, that will bug the game preventing the race from starting or disabling the cockpit clock.
Early 90s F1 forever!
dammit6000
GP2 Newbie

Post by dammit6000 »

I tried the "Light" editor on my windows 98 computer and it works well. Thanks for the upgrade.

On another point, did you notice any setting which affects when the player car starts to be controlled by the pit lane speed limit?
For example on some of my tracks, when I come into the pits, the pitlane control doesn't kick in until too late and it causes me to miss the pitbox. It doesn't affect the CCs on the same track though. I know i can slow down manually so its no big deal but just wondering if you know.
Bye.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I don't know but I don't think that's a magic data related issue since it is not something they would probably want to change for every slot.

And the pitlane as it is built in the track.dat file is very weird and many strange behaviours can happen. But if this is being caused by the start of the speed limit area being too late, it can be changed back in the track file (command 0x96). I would suggest reading the pitlane tutorial because changing the start of the speed limit may require additional editing of the "Pit Lane-Checkboxes".

If it is not caused by the position of command 0x96, then it is probably an error in the said "Pit Lane-Checkboxes" and that's something I never figured out correctly (I just try and error until it is working).
Early 90s F1 forever!