GP2 Machine

Here you can post criticisms, ideas or questions to the forum!
ngendro
GP2 Newbie

GP2 Machine

Post by ngendro »

Hey my friends. It's been a while since the last time I've been on the GP forum. Hope that this 2014 year finds you ok.

The other day I was cleaning up my home when I found this GP2 machine I build about 8 years ago. It's been I guess 5 years aprox since the last time I used it. It brought lots of memories to my mind.
The story of this machine began when I realised that no matter how good an emulator can be, there's nothing better than the real thing. So I went to a scrap computer store and I bought a motherboard with an AMD K6 processor, ISA ports, one 2GB HDD, a power source and an ISA GP2 compatible sound board. All this with the idea of making one GP2 dedicated PC and build the cabinet with a "console alike" concept. With the hardware on my hand, I took measurements and bought aluminium plates, screws, etc., and started to build it. After finishing the cabinet and the components mounting and connecting, I installed DOS system and GP2 on this machine with a 1994 carset. Then I edited the AUTOEXEC.BAT for the machine to start GP2 inmediatly, no windows, just DOS and GP2. It was a GP2 console! It worked incredibly well. The 400 MHz of the processor are perfect to GP2 frame speed, it makes a smooth FPS.
Then, after a few months, I had the idea of incorporate the KGEN Sega Genesis emulator and also MAME. So I installed a Win98 operating system and edited the AUTOEXEC.BAT so when the PC starts it shows a menu where you can choose between GP2, KGEN or MAME. Also, I added to the menu programming some instructions that make the KGEN and MAME start inmediatley when windows starts, so you never see windows screen, it's like a console.

Well, I give you a couple of pictures of this invention and a couple of videos. After 8 years it's still working!!

VIDEO:

Peze
GP2 Gamer

Re: GP2 Machine

Post by Peze »

GP2 Arcade! That's awesome :yes: