the flow of time in gp2

Here you can post criticisms, ideas or questions to the forum!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Re: the flow of time in gp2

Post by Michael82 »

[/quote]

What do you mean- you have the same problem with the "jittery" steering and calibration?
[/quote]

I mean I have a problem with calibration yes. When I calibrate my controler it is impossible to put to the left-right at most.
Attachments
gp2_011.png
gp2_010.png
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

OK- so this is strange.

For some reason the "jittery" steering issue disappeared. I can't explain why. I did however have another problem related to dosbox not noticing the brake pedal as a separate joystick (which i am using a work-around)

I did play a little today, and with the game running slower now I dropped my lap time about 3 seconds on detroit's street circuit. Immediately the game was way easier because I didn't realize how fast it was going.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Michael82 wrote:
20.04.2019, 17:56
What do you mean- you have the same problem with the "jittery" steering and calibration?
[/quote]

I mean I have a problem with calibration yes. When I calibrate my controler it is impossible to put to the left-right at most.
[/quote]

Michael82- your calibration does not need to go all the way to the left and right of the box. The whole point of calibrating is telling the game which value you can reach as a maximum, this way it assigns that value to the maximum lock. That is OK. It works the same for me. I do not think it is a problem for you.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

rremedio wrote:
20.04.2019, 15:20
samsepi0l wrote:
20.04.2019, 06:36
Do either of you that use dosbox SVN DAUM use a steering wheel and pedals? If so, did you have similar problems? what wheel and pedals do you use?
I use the keyboard only for gp2 (I never liked driving with the steering wheel in GPx games like I do with newer sims). I have an old logitech momo I'll give it a try tonight.
Something strange was going on that was causing the "jitteryness". I can not explain it. The problem is gone magically now. I actually got the steering wheel and pedals working great! I raced a full 100% race at the 80s Detroit street circuit and finished 7th! I had the difficulty on the 2nd hardest setting.
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

How is your experience with SVN DAUM compared with ECE?

I'm kind of nervous to use DAUM because everybody on the vogons forum and dosbox Web pages seems to be aggressively opposed to it, and when I went to the DAUM page it seemed kind of dodgy.

Having said that, lots of people seem to be reporting success with DAUM in fixing this issue. I don't really know what the controversy is. The only other workaround I can find is to reduce the frame rate in the gp2 graphics settings itself. Eg full frame rate = hyper speed with occasional periods of excessive lag depending on the track or situation, where as with a fixed frame rate around 18fps it runs stable at what appears to be normal speed.

Any feedback appreciated, this has been a constant issue for gp2 in dosbox and it makes the game almost unplayable, it's about time we got to the bottom of it and DAUM seems to be the easy solution
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

Also I will try your conf file as it's quite different to the variants I'm normally experimenting with. There must be a reason why 0.74 has the speed issue and DAUM doesn't but I've never been able to fix it with the conf file, only by reducing the frame rate in the graphics settings
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I think the problem with DAUM is that it has not been in development for a while and the DosBox community usually prefers builds that keep being updated. The official build was very out of date for years but I think they updated it a few months ago.

In my old computer, it was faster than the stock version but it was a bit ugly. It had some features that made it easier for me to debug the game but I didn't know that those features were also available in other builds.

I haven't had many problems with it really despite the fact the GP2 didn't look as good (but still good). And when I tried calibrating my wheel it was terrible (not sure if it is the same problem as others had, but there was some jittery in the calibration screen), but I have the feeling that it was because my old wheel is in terrible shape (but it works in other games).

I also haven't encountered any problems with the official build since I changed my computer, so I've been using it (but I played very little GP2 since). Anyway, I think it would be nice to know which build is kept most updated usually, and has the most stable experience for GP2 and in general.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

I've been using a thing called "dosbox ECE" 32 bit for a few months now and it works perfect with gp2. I also use this for icr2. I spend countless hours driving and I couldn't be happier. Timing is dead on.
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

Rremedio are you using dosbox 0.74? And you have normal speed?
samsepi0l wrote:
30.09.2019, 19:02
I've been using a thing called "dosbox ECE" 32 bit for a few months now and it works perfect with gp2. I also use this for icr2. I spend countless hours driving and I couldn't be happier. Timing is dead on.
How does it compare with daum? Is there any reason to prefer one over the other? I'm a little perplexed by the seemingly universal negative reaction to daum in dosbox circles, despite it seemingly being very popular amongst users despite its bad reputation. I am somewhat nervous to try it. Are you running full FPS in the graphics settings?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I'm gonna try ECE next time.

Daum is probably not great if they hate it so much...lol...I never had any problems but I can't really say that I was ever happy with any DosBox version. Just keep in mind that GP2 is very heavy for DosBox and this may be something Daum handles better but they simply don't care because it may be much worse for the other games.

I've been using 0.74 but idk if I have normal speed. I didn't pay attention last time.
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

rremedio wrote:
30.09.2019, 23:35

Daum is probably not great if they hate it so much...lol...I never had any problems but I can't really say that I was ever happy with any DosBox version. Just keep in mind that GP2 is very heavy for DosBox and this may be something Daum handles better but they simply don't care because it may be much worse for the other games.

I've been using 0.74 but idk if I have normal speed. I didn't pay attention last time.
I have Daum but I have not used it because I was told that it was "buggy" by the folks at the dosbox forums. My decision was solely based on the feedback I received. I did confirm that the "flow of time" is correct in both ECE and Daum. You have to remember that DOSBOX is similar to linux in that it is community developed, and since DAUM is not developed any more it receives a lot of criticism from members of that community.

I run a full frame rate with all of the bells and whistles in both ICR2 and GP2. I get maximum performance with all of the details and nothing held back. I built my computer in 2013, but it was very high end at that time. The biggest thing that helped me by far, without a doubt, was switching from 64 bit to 32 bit. This made an absolutely HUGE difference in performance. These are the only 2 games I play.
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

Yes I noticed it was constantly met with violent opposition on the dosbox forums which was why I was nervous to use it. But I wasn't sure if it was because there was anything actually wrong with it, or if there was some other motivations behind encouraging other people not to use it. Oddly, despite the controversy, many people use it and not just for gp2 so there must be something going for it.

I think I'm already running 32 bit because my operating system is 32 bit vista and I'm running standard 0.74. Do you need to apply the i386 patch to ECE or does it run correctly out of the box (with the obligatory conf file tweaks of course)?
rremedio wrote:
30.09.2019, 23:35

Would you mind posting your configuration file for 0.74? I'm always keen to try different settings
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I just use the stock file with output changed to ddraw and window resolution changed to 800x600.

I just check and I indeed have the timing bug :oops:

EDIT: I also tested 0.74-3 and it also has the timing bug.

MOAR EDIT: ECE seems to be much better than both the official build and also Daum indeed (great find, samsepi0l). It fixes the timing issue and it gives better PO with better image quality (using openglpp as output gives perfect picture while using openglnb lets you scale the window with better image than Daum).
Early 90s F1 forever!
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

rremedio wrote:
01.10.2019, 14:24
I just use the stock file with output changed to ddraw and window resolution changed to 800x600.

I just check and I indeed have the timing bug :oops:

EDIT: I also tested 0.74-3 and it also has the timing bug.

MOAR EDIT: ECE seems to be much better than both the official build and also Daum indeed (great find, samsepi0l). It fixes the timing issue and it gives better PO with better image quality (using openglpp as output gives perfect picture while using openglnb lets you scale the window with better image than Daum).
Another vote for ECE here, it seems to run nicely from my end. Although I have to turn mirrors and sky off and also limit the frame rate to around 20fps but that has more to do with my poor system specs than anything else.

I can't say I noticed a PO improvement but There's some different settings available compared to the normal dosbox so I might be able to refine the conf file for better performance but all in all it works nicely. Maybe I can say It feels more "stable", less massive PO spikes than normal dosbox but the issue of PO in smoke and gravel seems to remain, again it's probably solely due to my poor system specs and nothing to do with dosbox
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

make sure you are using the 32 bit version, not the 64... big difference in PO there....