My Career Programme design

Here you can post everything that fits in the topic "GP2 Screenshots & GP2 Patcher"
Mickeyg
GP2 Newbie

My Career Programme design

Post by Mickeyg »

I'm not sure if there is a career app, for GP2, so you can do multiple seasons?

But I've designed my own and thought I would share my design. Feel free to use it and adjust the idea to suit your career.

Everything is recorded and logged down, which can be by paper or any PC document type.

So what I do, to decide my team drive is, look at the results (constructors) from 1994 and split the cars into three groups, top, middle and bottom. Approximately 3-4 cars in each group, and making the cars engine dependant, with GPedit. I then throw a dice. If it's a 6 I get a car from the top group, a 1 or 3 middle group and a 2,4,5 bottom group. Then throw another dice for a car, in whichever group diced for, and then replacing a number 2 driver (always no 2) with a made up fictitious driver name. When this as been decided I tick of the car/team used, on the group list. My rule here is when you start with another career driver, or move teams (see later) you don't keep giving for same team and end up driving different cars. When the car/team list as been exhausted (in each group) and ticked off, you start again, but can't drive for the last team who you have driven for.

Now your career. You drive for a maximum 10 year career but: After year 3,6 and 8, you dice throw again. If you throw a 6 after those years you retire and start a fresh career, with another driver name.

Moving up and down in groups: There are two possibilities here. One is FCS (final championship standing) and the other is TMC (team mate challenge) Which ever is the greater, determines your new driver group for the next year. Note there is no driver movement, throughout the year, until a season is completed.

So FCS: Sorry for my ignorance and I've forgot (not near PC to double check) but can be adjusted, if there is 26 drivers (with you) If you start, or are in, the bottom group and finish in FCS 18th-26th the next year you stay in that bottom group. You then throw a dice and if it's a 6 you can move to a new team, within that bottom group. Now if you finish 9th-17th, you move from bottom group to middle (throw dice for new car in new group) for following year.
If you finish FCS 1st-8th you move to top group and again throw for new car in that new group for following year. Obviously something that could be quite hard to achieve? Also when you move groups (up/down) you can make a rule to always replace the number 2 driver only?

If you start (or in) the middle group, again you check above parameters on final championship standings. This could keep you in middle group (9th-17th finish)move up to top group 1-8 or drop to lower group 18-26.

Top group start or in, again 1-8 FCS stay in top group, 9-17 drop to middle and 18-26 drop to bottom. Just remember if ticking off car drives, exhaust list and try to alternate. You have to also make sure to record things. I think Gp2 records season results? Please correct me on that and if those recordings are enough information to decide your drive for the following year. Also note if you win the Championship, you stay with the same team, for the next year. Or if you want, if that happens, throw a dice again. If you throw a 6 consecutively, you move to a new team. Which could probably be, in the top group? This would be serious F1 news in your career. "CHAMPION MOVES TO ANOTHER TEAM" shock horror.

Now finally TMC: Taking on your team mate (stolen from Codemaster games) you and your TM get points for certain achievements (so again must record separately)
So they are 1 PT for each:

Better Qualy position
Better Grid start position
Faster lap to TM in race
Race win
Podium finish (both could get a PT)
Points finish ( both could get)
Race finish (Both could get a PT)
To separate a little more you could have the podium finish and points finish as who is higher, gets the point.
If tied at season end then championship standing is the tie breaker.

If you beat your TM you move up one group. If you can't move up (Already in top group) you collect 3 points, which are carried over for next year's TM challenge and to start your total of +3.

If you lose to your TM at season end, you drop down a group. If you are in bottom group already you are -2 PTS to start next season's TM challenge.

Just remember to dice for car movement in groups moved to (all cars) and groups stayed (a 6 for new team move) or stay with present team, in that bottom group. Don't forget also to tick of teams on team list and exhaust etc.

Thank you everybody for reading. I know this idea seems complex. Some of you may feel, No it won't work and what's the point. I did it to try and add some career immersive feel to GP2.

It's not fool proof too and I am pretty sure that I have missed something, and some person out there will spot a flaw or give advice to change something?

Note also this is obviously a careet against the AI and could be used for other F1 games (without career mode) like GP3/4?

Thanks again all for your attention. Thoughts welcome and apologies if I've missed any marks and overseen any detail?
Mickeyg
GP2 Newbie

Re: My Career Programme design

Post by Mickeyg »

Correction on the TM challenge.
It's not grid position it should be race position finish.

Also a tie at season end on TM points. You stay in your group, same team, but can dice throw for a 6, to move and leave for another team in that group.

Also if you throw a 6 to move to another team in same group, you don't have to move, if you don't want, but stay with your present team for the following season. It's entirely up to you?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Hi! This is very cool. I had a lot of fun making careers, with and without using formulas and results to define my cars.
I think Gp2 records season results? Please correct me on that and if those recordings are enough information to decide your drive for the following year.
Yes, you can save the results (grid, race results, best laps) to text files after every race. If you want lap by lap records, you must use GP2Lap advanced logging (you can use it in any session). Many of us do our seasons by Non-Championship Races and record the results on Excel or other tools (good if you want changes during a season), but you get the same options with Championship Seasons too.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Mickeyg
GP2 Newbie

Post by Mickeyg »

Thanks rremedio. So glad you liked it 👍

My idea is still a work in progress, but it's a case of trialing it and see how it goes.

Thanks once more 😁👍 🏁