Visual Basic

Smalltalk
Here you can post everything which doesn't fit into the other forums!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Re: Visual Basic

Post by Greyhead »

rremedio wrote:Easy to understand why reshaping everything line by line it's so annoyning.
You got that right!
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

The real work has started, it will be harder than I thougth cause every poligon needs a different aprouch. But it's worth the job becouse in the end it will make everything a lot easier and you will be able to extend it to other templates than the saloon. I will post images when I have something interesting to show (I hope it's until the weekend, but free time is short).

I didn't try anything with Visual Basic becouse I've found great tools for using with Ruby. Ruby is also incomparable easier to code. However, it results in also incomparable slower applications, but for complex tasks like this, is better to use something easier than something fast.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Great news =D>

PS what's Ruby? I've never heard of that!
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Ruby is another programming language, just like VB. It's easier to code, but its also slower to process things. I was aware of two libraries to manipulate images using Ruby and tested them and liked the results. Should be much more complex writing with VB.

VB would surely do the job and the program would be much faster, but I don't have real programming training, so easier is better than faster :)
Early 90s F1 forever!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Fair enough! I have to admit, Ruby is a new one on me. Anything that makes life easier has to be a bonus! I remember the days of typing out line after line of BASIC on a Commodore 64...
Peze
GP2 Gamer

Post by Peze »

Greyhead wrote: I remember the days of typing out line after line of BASIC on a Commodore 64...
In those days you could buy a magazine, type the code from it and the result: you had a new game!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

When I was a kid I had a TK90X (brazilian version of the ZX Spectrum). No magazines to help, just the user manual. I remember annoying everybody in the house while I was trying to make a song out of its sound commands. And we could save and load programs from K7 tapes! I've broken it trying to put Atari 2600 cartridges on its cart lock.

It had no use for me, as sadly I didn't know that impressive game list http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ZX_Spectrum_games. I was 9 or 10, but I could write a program that said you were right if you awsered "yes" to the question: "Is (my brother name) an idiot?". Oh, such good times. :lol:
Early 90s F1 forever!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

I don't know if I understood everything but you are creating a new base for the cars bitmaps? You change something in Gp2.exe?
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Michael82 wrote:I don't know if I understood everything but you are creating a new base for the cars bitmaps? You change something in Gp2.exe?
If this is true then GP2 will trully reborn and we will create a accurate template for every season ever made :shock:
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:I don't know if I understood everything but you are creating a new base for the cars bitmaps? You change something in Gp2.exe?
Greyhead create templates from the real carshapes and paint these templates so they fit that carshape. But GP2 will only accept the GP2 original template (that bitmap we use with GP2Lap) so he has to convert his templates on a GP2 bitmap, which have a very different shape. He does that by resizing and reshaping parts of the bitmap so they will fit the gp2 bitmap, but it's a painfully long and annoying process. We are trying to create a tool that will convert it automatically for him.

Creating a new base would be better, but I've never found where the info is stored in GP2.exe. It is hidden somewhere but I have no clues about where.
Early 90s F1 forever!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

rremedio wrote:
Greyhead create templates from the real carshapes and paint these templates so they fit that carshape. But GP2 will only accept the GP2 original template (that bitmap we use with GP2Lap) so he has to convert his templates on a GP2 bitmap, which have a very different shape. He does that by resizing and reshaping parts of the bitmap so they will fit the gp2 bitmap, but it's a painfully long and annoying process. We are trying to create a tool that will convert it automatically for him.

Creating a new base would be better, but I've never found where the info is stored in GP2.exe. It is hidden somewhere but I have no clues about where.
And this is also a good idea.

For the .exe file I know only that where in it are stored the names of the drivers, the teams, game info, all buttons and texts - the other things I dont know but I have Visual Studio 2010 Professional Edition with all needed programs. If anyoe wants somehow I will try to upload this monster somewhere. :D
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

It's a great project. Congratulations to you! Any progress in GP2 is very good!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

No progress yet, for several reasons. I've been travelling and now my home is under improvement and I have no peace to work with programming. But I hope to achieve it in some weeks.
Early 90s F1 forever!
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

I've actually managed to cut down the time to reshape a car to about an hour, with a lot of practice! Obviously I'll never be as fast as a machine but I'm making progress :lol:
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Greyhead wrote:I've actually managed to cut down the time to reshape a car to about an hour, with a lot of practice! Obviously I'll never be as fast as a machine but I'm making progress :lol:
But for now I prefer the old way. :lol: