Old Classic Games

Smalltalk
Here you can post everything which doesn't fit into the other forums!
User avatar
RacerBG
GP2 Pro
Posts: 999
Joined: 09.08.2010, 17:57
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by RacerBG » 13.09.2010, 07:45

rremedio wrote:I play all Mega Drive games via emulator...sometimes I play Atari 2600, SNES and Arcade games, also via emulators (I have a Mega Drive and an Atari 2600, but they are broken). Besides that, GP2, GP3 and GPL.
But how you can drive GPL with keyboard I cant setting up keyboard :?: :oops:

User avatar
rremedio
GP2 Star
Posts: 1333
Joined: 14.01.2007, 15:05

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by rremedio » 13.09.2010, 14:16

RacerBG wrote:
rremedio wrote:I play all Mega Drive games via emulator...sometimes I play Atari 2600, SNES and Arcade games, also via emulators (I have a Mega Drive and an Atari 2600, but they are broken). Besides that, GP2, GP3 and GPL.
But how you can drive GPL with keyboard I cant setting up keyboard :?: :oops:
Well, my friend Otavio Silveira (former GP2 trackmaker) is one of the world fastest keyboard drivers in GPL and he gave me setups and great tips. In fact I can fight for the win with the ccs in some tracks. Also, I recommend that you start playing with the 65' Mod, as the cars are slower, lighter and brake much more easily.

There was a topic about driving with the keyboard at rsc.net, where people posted their setups and replays, it was a great source of information, but I can't find it anymore. It was created by a user called Keypad.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion" - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell by William Blake

Image

User avatar
RacerBG
GP2 Pro
Posts: 999
Joined: 09.08.2010, 17:57
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by RacerBG » 13.09.2010, 16:44

rremedio wrote:
RacerBG wrote:
rremedio wrote:I play all Mega Drive games via emulator...sometimes I play Atari 2600, SNES and Arcade games, also via emulators (I have a Mega Drive and an Atari 2600, but they are broken). Besides that, GP2, GP3 and GPL.
But how you can drive GPL with keyboard I cant setting up keyboard :?: :oops:
Well, my friend Otavio Silveira (former GP2 trackmaker) is one of the world fastest keyboard drivers in GPL and he gave me setups and great tips. In fact I can fight for the win with the ccs in some tracks. Also, I recommend that you start playing with the 65' Mod, as the cars are slower, lighter and brake much more easily.

There was a topic about driving with the keyboard at rsc.net, where people posted their setups and replays, it was a great source of information, but I can't find it anymore. It was created by a user called Keypad.
Now I had managed to drive with keyboard \:D/ But I have for now only GPL 2004 demo :) I will download other mods soon 8)

User avatar
rremedio
GP2 Star
Posts: 1333
Joined: 14.01.2007, 15:05

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by rremedio » 14.09.2010, 15:39

Great! GPL is fantastic game. \:D/
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion" - The Marriage of Heaven and Hell by William Blake

Image

User avatar
AD
GP2 Acc
Posts: 720
Joined: 12.09.2006, 15:02

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by AD » 14.09.2010, 21:57

For me, the old stuff stops at the GP2 era, as I wasn't brought up on any kinds of console games and don't have any fond memories there that would drive me back to emulators in the modern day. Besides that perhaps somewhat obvious game, the oldest stuff I dig out at least sometime during the year is Grim Fandango, which I still enjoy because of the atmosphere, the soundtrack and the funny characters (and, coming from simracing, controlling a character directly through motion keys never really bugged me, although a lot of people at the time were generally upset it was not a point-and-click adventure...). The oldest stuff I still have somewhere must be floppy disks of the adventure classic Day of the Tentacle, which I'll never be able to play again because I don't own a matching drive anymore. :-s

I'm a keyboard purist when it comes to racing simulations, but GPL is where it just really started getting really frustrating for a long time... making some set-up adjustments helps significantly, but cramming all my necessary fingers onto the numbers block without being able to remap the settings to something else is a bit too much of a strain for me. Another really fantastic modding scene for that game though, and certainly the biggest source of historically famous circuits for a simulation.
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..

User avatar
Peze
GP2 Gamer
Posts: 267
Joined: 18.07.2009, 19:22

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by Peze » 15.09.2010, 19:25

@AD:
I have similar thoughts about keyboard in racing and GPLegens too. GPL is tough with keyboard (haven't tried with wheel). Sooner or later (usually sooner) you feel like a passenger, you're not in the control. It's like the grip suddenly disappears.

@rremedio, RacerBG:
It sure would be great to try GPL with better setup for keyboard or with mods, but how you get GPL to work? It was previous win98 machine when I last time played the game too many years ago, but no luck in windows xp :(

User avatar
AAS
GP2 Star
Posts: 1069
Joined: 08.09.2006, 17:19
Contact:

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by AAS » 15.09.2010, 19:47

For me it works under xp and Vista with the "GPL all in one installer"
The old download link is down.

I think this is the same installer:
http://gplps.org/wb/pages/projects/gpl-installer.php

more links: http://gpltd.bcsims.com/?ir=Links

User avatar
RacerBG
GP2 Pro
Posts: 999
Joined: 09.08.2010, 17:57
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by RacerBG » 16.09.2010, 06:33

Peze wrote:@AD:
I have similar thoughts about keyboard in racing and GPLegens too. GPL is tough with keyboard (haven't tried with wheel). Sooner or later (usually sooner) you feel like a passenger, you're not in the control. It's like the grip suddenly disappears.

@rremedio, RacerBG:
It sure would be great to try GPL with better setup for keyboard or with mods, but how you get GPL to work? It was previous win98 machine when I last time played the game too many years ago, but no luck in windows xp :(
I play on GPL with my XP SP3 but my GPL 2004 DEMO is fully patched thats why :) GPL 2004 Demo has 1967 carset and only one track and after the modding I have nw 9 tracks and 1966 and 1969 mods \:D/ The other are not interest for me 8)

User avatar
Peze
GP2 Gamer
Posts: 267
Joined: 18.07.2009, 19:22

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by Peze » 17.09.2010, 18:13

@AAS:
I downloaded installation files from the link, got through the installation and guess what... it works! And it is great, thank you \:D/

@RacerBG:
Thanks for answer. It's easy to agree with your signature by the way :D

User avatar
RacerBG
GP2 Pro
Posts: 999
Joined: 09.08.2010, 17:57
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by RacerBG » 18.09.2010, 10:16

Peze wrote:@AAS:
I downloaded installation files from the link, got through the installation and guess what... it works! And it is great, thank you \:D/

@RacerBG:
Thanks for answer. It's easy to agree with your signature by the way :D
If you think so 8) But that is true ofcourse AAS has many times helped to me =D>

TdK
GP2 Pro
Posts: 868
Joined: 11.12.2006, 20:16
Location: Netherlands

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by TdK » 19.09.2010, 19:27

MäxX wrote:How could I forget Fatal Racing / Whiplash :oops:

An all-time classic :D
Wow, i've played that game a long long time, i had it before Gp2, and was i think my first "modern" racing game. It was simply great, unrealistic, but very nice to drive with all those hard and different tracks, and different cars. I think i won the championship with all the cars i believe! :D

Image

It would be great, and a lot of fun to have a carset with those cars. Especially when they have the exact characteristics of the original game, so lots of power, bad steering, or less power, better handling, etc... [-o<

Sadly i don't have the game anymore, somehow disappeared a few years ago with a movement from house to house. On the same CD containing Carmageddon and Shadow Warrior... :cry:
TdK - Retired GrandPrix 2 manic!

User avatar
RacerBG
GP2 Pro
Posts: 999
Joined: 09.08.2010, 17:57
Location: Bulgaria

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by RacerBG » 20.09.2010, 08:22

TdK wrote:
MäxX wrote:How could I forget Fatal Racing / Whiplash :oops:

An all-time classic :D
Wow, i've played that game a long long time, i had it before Gp2, and was i think my first "modern" racing game. It was simply great, unrealistic, but very nice to drive with all those hard and different tracks, and different cars. I think i won the championship with all the cars i believe! :D

Image

It would be great, and a lot of fun to have a carset with those cars. Especially when they have the exact characteristics of the original game, so lots of power, bad steering, or less power, better handling, etc... [-o<

Sadly i don't have the game anymore, somehow disappeared a few years ago with a movement from house to house. On the same CD containing Carmageddon and Shadow Warrior... :cry:
Here mate :arrow: http://www.gameswin.info/gameen.php?id=601
Or here :arrow: http://www.classic-gaming.net/game/52/

ENJOY 8)

TdK
GP2 Pro
Posts: 868
Joined: 11.12.2006, 20:16
Location: Netherlands

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by TdK » 20.09.2010, 18:17

Thanks man!! =D> \:D/

Have to check if it works, but at least it's a start! :D \:D/
TdK - Retired GrandPrix 2 manic!

User avatar
MaxX
GP2 Pro
Posts: 866
Joined: 28.02.2007, 11:41
Location: Salzburg, Austria

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by MaxX » 20.09.2010, 19:15

Seems that I`ll go for the FR Championship once more ;) (still own the original copy) Maybe I`ll also get one of this, I don`t like having that much virtual ISOs on my Notebook :D

Shadow Warrior was nice, but Duke 3d was more fun IMHO ;) Seems like I have to google for an Atomic Edition No CD Patch and reinstall it with the high res pack, good old times.

I just finished Dethkarz once more last week, that game was also truly awesome. A pity that the game didn`t make it for a 2nd part and the championship mode is that lame...nice physics and graphics for a millenium game :)

User avatar
Greyhead
GP2 Star
Posts: 1156
Joined: 01.01.2007, 16:17
Location: Sheffield, England
Contact:

Re: Old Classic Games

Post by Greyhead » 20.09.2010, 19:23

Oooh I forgot Wolfenstein 3D! Used to spend hours on that!
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!

Post Reply