JENSON BUTTON: WORLD CHAMPION

Smalltalk
Here you can post everything which doesn't fit into the other forums!
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

JENSON BUTTON: WORLD CHAMPION

Post by jakesanson »

WHAT A RACE!!!

Such hard luck for Rubens, as he totally deserved to win at Interlagos. Congratulations to Jenson, who is Britain's 10th world champion. He drove like a champion, and he deserves to celebrate. Full credit to Barrichello for offering to lend Jenson his private jet home, when Button's flight got cancelled!!! What a true gentleman!!

Raikkonen still has burning eyes from the pit fire, Trulli is a real cry baby who should know better than that, and what the heck was thrown at Lewis Hamilton when he was interviewed by Lee McKenzie after the race?????
Find me on @jakesansonofficial or www.jakesanson.com
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Come and play the RRML using Grand Prix 2 via Downforce Racing YouTube channel!
AD
GP2 Acc

Re: JENSON BUTTON: WORLD CHAMPION

Post by AD »

Yet another interesting decider at Interlagos, even though obviously it wasn't as down to the wire as last year (and there was no reason to expect that, so that's fine). A lot of impressive performances yesterday. The crashes were a bit too much, for my taste, you could really get the impression that some were trying a bit too hard to impress potential employers for next season...

Congratulations to Brawn and Jenson Button, in any case. I personally think the great start they had into the season and the consistency with which they brought home the points needed towards the end were a good performance. At any rate, no one who had a car good enough to beat them did better, so that's the end of the story, "deserved? undeserved?" subjective-debates or not.

That said, I'm already looking forward to what changes are coming for next year. And of course there'll be one last race in two weeks, which could prove kind of interesting on a new track. :)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

I have to agree, what was Trulli's problem? It looked 100% his fault...

Great drive from Button, particularly in the opening laps when he was super-aggressive, and in my eyes he's fully deserving of the title. If he'd started off slowly and then won six of the last seven races, nobody would even think to question if he deserved it. Short-term memory is a great thing...

Great drive from Kubica too, how he dragged that car up to second is a mystery to me...

Like Massa last season, you have to feel sorry for Barrichello, both men were dignified in defeat, and I hope Rubens does indeed get the Williams drive that's been rumoured.

Good to hear from Niki Lauda too. What he says is usually worth listening to as he's intelligent and not prone to PR-speak or anything like that, and you've got to love someone whose favourite word is "bulls***". Although one thing did strike me - where the hell did his ears come from? They were huge! Presumably he's had some sort of plastic surgery on them but they look like he could pick up Eurosport on them...
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
HF
GP2 Star

Post by HF »

Well, it's nice :D´Honestly I really enjoyed the race yesterday. This race was very crazy and I think it's very good to have trhis team winning both cc in the "debutseason".
- . -
Antonio Pessoa
GP2 Gamer

Post by Antonio Pessoa »

I was cheering for Barrichello, a driver with many skill, but he really don't take good lucky here in Brazil... something like a "karma"...

But I was sure about Button to be World Champion since the 1st half of the season. My hope was about the chances of Barrichello to win at Interlagos, not to make a surprise and get the championship.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GP2 TrackMaker
Gabriele
GP2 Starter

Post by Gabriele »

Short term memory is a great thing, most of all if you think that this year the technical rules were not clear at the start, and nothing clearer came after some race. I am happy for JB, and I have been an estimator of his driving skills throughout the years, but I think that nobody would have bet a single penny on him at the start of a "normal" season with "normal" and agreed rules. Why? Because with a standard bunch of cars, he would have been a regular driver, not a superchampion.
I'm not the usual whiny Ferrari-fan. But this is really an altered championship.
"When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough."
Ayrton Senna Da Silva

Currently working on MotoGP 500 season 1991 (converted to Gp2)
MotoGP 500 season 1990 done.
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

True, but you can only make the best of what you've been given.

Plus I've always considered Button to be one of the top five drivers. OK, so maybe he's not the equal of Alonso, Hamilton or Raikkonen but the fact is he did it when it mattered. Look back through the years: was Alan Jones really faster than Gilles Villeneuve? Was Nigel Mansell better than Ayrton Senna? Of course not but they were both supremely talented drivers and they made the best of the opportunities they were granted. We could debate for years about it, but the fact is that Button still won more races than anybody else, and also he made several memorable on-track passes, both of which in my view are true signs of a champion.

Plus in his debut season, he qualified third at Spa, ahead of one M. Schumacher, and made less mistakes than any other driver that season. That approach certainly didn't harm Alain Prost :D
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Finally he made it, after many ups and downs he secured the title, congratulations to a well done job!

I think JB is a worthy champion and he and his crew simply made the best overall job this year. To be honest I would have prefered Barrichello, due he had much more bad luck than Button that year and was equal to him - Button was better in the first half, Barrichello in the second. It would have been a good end for his long career, Williams will (most likely) not be able to fight for the chamionship, so being in the midfield and somebody telling you to quit is something else, than being on top and quit by yourself...Well, it`s really great how the former Honda team was rescued and managed to win both titles, amazing. I really hope that Rosberg will come to Brawn (I`m pretty sure about this though) and he will then hopefully be able to show his skills. Alonso at Ferrari, McLaren in great shape again, next year will hopefully be even more thrilling. If Red Bull can keep the pace up, Vettel (did a great job this year, with a consistence showed in the second half of the season, he might be a hot challenger for the title) and Webber (hopefully more lucky) are also strong competitors.

Well, and here are my thoughts about the "worthiness" of JB:
I think there can`t be any unworthy or random champion, due you must deliver a consistent performance over many races. Of course the title is not gained by the driver alone, it`s the entire package that decides. Sitting in the fastest car and being an incredible driver still does not secure a title, there is still luck or maybe someone would call it fate that decides much. There are talented driver with luck, for instance Schumacher - no single car failure for many races while his teammates Irvine and Barrichello or even his title competitors (Raikonnen, Hakkinen, Montoya) had bad luck, or Button this year, but this facts doesn`t make them unworthy.
Button was also more consistent than the Red Bulls (without his mistakes Vettel would still fight for the title) and had more luck than Barrichello (3 races from the back due problems, 1 unguilty DNF and of course the puncture). I think he deserves the title because he won the races he could win and always scored points in races where he couldn`t and avoided mistakes under pressure.
Maybe we have not seen much from him in the last races, but that was a simple cause, he just wanted to keep his point advantage and scored as much points as possible, after the Brawn dominace was over. He wanted the title in Interlagos, he knew he can also risk something (he was still in a great position even starting behind) and so he pushed.

He was fast when he had to, he won when he could, he scored good points when he could not win, he made no mistakes under pressure....what else should we expect from a champion?
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

He was fast when he had to, he won when he could, he scored good points when he could not win, he made no mistakes under pressure....what else should we expect from a champion?
Bang on.
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

Post by jakesanson »

Greyhead wrote:Plus I've always considered Button to be one of the top five drivers. OK, so maybe he's not the equal of Alonso, Hamilton or Raikkonen but the fact is he did it when it mattered. Look back through the years: was Alan Jones really faster than Gilles Villeneuve? Was Nigel Mansell better than Ayrton Senna? Of course not but they were both supremely talented drivers and they made the best of the opportunities they were granted. We could debate for years about it, but the fact is that Button still won more races than anybody else, and also he made several memorable on-track passes, both of which in my view are true signs of a champion.

Plus in his debut season, he qualified third at Spa, ahead of one M. Schumacher, and made less mistakes than any other driver that season. That approach certainly didn't harm Alain Prost :D
Totally true. Everybody has written off Jenson as a playboy racer who was just there to make up the numbers. But think back to January 2000. Do we honestly think Bruno Junquiera could have done the job Jenson has? No. Frank Williams made the perfect choice.

Plus he's there because he wants to drive, not because he's determined to be the best. Right from the start, Brawn, Jenson and Rubens took each race as it came, and that's what won them the title.

With Lewis it was always going to be "when" he won the championship. It's nice that Jenson has won it when everyone was wondering "if" he'd ever win.
Find me on @jakesansonofficial or www.jakesanson.com
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Come and play the RRML using Grand Prix 2 via Downforce Racing YouTube channel!
Gabriele
GP2 Starter

Post by Gabriele »

Guys, I totally agree with you. JB has been the best of the pack, dot. So he deserves the title! He has been simply all-around better than anybody else. He's been given the chance to race for the best team this year, and he took this opportunity to its upper limit.
BUT, forgive my italian-ish running backwards, I was not so happy about HOW the FIA gave these opportunities at the start of the season. Why this technical rules were not clear, were not rules "to read and follow" but "to read and find a workaround"? Why Renaut was forced to remove the "hole" whereas Brawn and other competitors were allowed to?
That was the point of my intervention: great JB, but I would have been happier if he won on a clear championship, without any rules craziness.
"When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough."
Ayrton Senna Da Silva

Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Yeah, but the rules are there to be exploited. Ross Brawn had actually suggested to the other teams that they should close the "double diffuser" loophole before the season started to make the regulations clearer, when he knew his team had already spent the time, effort and money developing it, and the teams that said "no" included Renault and BMW, who shouted loudest for it to be banned once the season had started! Nobody complained about the Lotus 79, or the Williams FW14B. Racing has always been about finding, as Mark Donohue called it, "the unfair advantage".
DJS
GP2 Racer

Post by DJS »

It's been a while, since my last post, but I'm still following. :wink:

First let me congratulate Jenson with his win and also the Brawn team. Well done! =D>

But I'm with Gabriele on this about the rules, Renault asked the FIA if they were allowed to run some sort of a double diffusor and the FIA said it was not allowed.
Renault ditched this idea and went on to design a different diffusor and concept altogether.

Next year you'll see again a bigger difference between the cars, because most of the designs were not optimised to work with a double diffusor.
So if Brawn becomes an average team, don't be surprised. :-"
DJS Exclusive - Proud member of team NL²
Gabriele
GP2 Starter

Post by Gabriele »

DJS wrote:So if Brawn becomes an average team, don't be surprised. :-"
They will have full support by Mercedes, that moved assets from McLaren to them, even if they'll lose Virgin as main sponsor - but who's gonna NOT sponsor Brawn next year? :) Plus they'll have the big bonus reserved to [both] Championship Winner...
They have money and time... I bet they'll be more than an average team.
What I hope, is that the rules are CLEAR so that anyone can design his car like the others.
And that Alonso can bring that red thing back to the top...
Ayrton Senna Da Silva

DJS
GP2 Racer

Post by DJS »

They said the same thing about the sponsors this year and what happened: only a hand full of sponsors and all 1 race deals.
I don't see it happening what you're saying Gabriele, neither the extra support from Stuttgart.

They'll have to find another gimmick to be as good as this year, if they can do so, they'll surprise again, if not, they'll be midfield. :wink:
DJS Exclusive - Proud member of team NL²