I'm doing a Super Monaco in GP2

Smalltalk
Here you can post everything which doesn't fit into the other forums!
ismael
GP2 Racer

I'm doing a Super Monaco in GP2

Post by ismael »

Hello all,

As I'm lousy with videos and I work with text, I'll share some GP2 content through text. There are excellent video content makers out there, so I'll stick to this.
I wanted to discover the huge amount of tracks available for GP2 so I started my own version of a Super Monaco GP2 Arcade Game.

Everyone played Super Monaco. Aside from the playability and the astounding career game, what was the premise? Your car was always the best one - as long as you mastered the racing tracks! And for a console game, it was the right concept to go with. Well, maybe Zeroforce was not good, but I'm honest, I never tried Zeroforce!

So, I'm doing the same. I'm playing in a Super Monaco carset where the best drivers have a grip of around 15700. This makes for me not wanting to go too much into carset development: I want to learn the track in a quick way, enough to get good results, like in the Mega Drive version!

The rest is much alike: I only do two qualifying attempts, one per session (in Super Monaco we would have a single try), and all races are 10% (10-15 minutes).

The carset is based on an existing Super Monaco carset (sorry for not remembering the author's name) and is loosely based in the 1989 season. To make numbers (as Mega Drive only had 14 CC-drivers, one per team), I got some drivers from 'Grand Prix 1'. And a couple of real ones too, but they mix well among the fake names.

Career rule: for the next season, I'm hired by the team whose number 2 driver I was able to beat in the previous season's championship. I'm shooting at the Drivers Title. After that, we'll see. I won't be challenged by Ceara, as I'm already battling him and Asselin.

And the tracks? Obviously, I try 16 different tracks each season! I never change Magic Data but always follow the indicated slot. In some tracks I'm quite fast from the beginning, in others I realise that the CC-cars are too fast, and others are a mix - it's always a surprise!

In the attachments, you can see the Seasons Results so far (also, the latest carset version and the tracklist). So, what is You accomplishing? Basically, in Season 1 You excelled winning 3 races with a Minarae, and two more podiums - but You only scored points 6 times! Apparently, either You wins or You crashes. You was able to get hired for Millions for Season 2. In spite of the car being better, You achieved more or less the same! 4 wins, 6 podiums, 7 scoring positions. Good enough to get to Firenze, but quite inconsistent.

In season 3 You is leading the championship with 3 podiums, but there was a crisis in race 2: You tangled with Cotman in the last but one corner of the race!! It was Cotman's fault, of course, as You was faster but Cotman didn't let You through. Firenze has the same horsepower as Madonna, so You is aiming for the title this season! Wish You, I mean, wish me luck!
Attachments
TracklistArcade.zip
(19.69 KiB) Downloaded 237 times
Tables.zip
(3.79 KiB) Downloaded 236 times
Season3.zip
(146.27 KiB) Downloaded 230 times
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Re: I'm doing a Super Monaco in GP2

Post by samsepi0l »

I pick a different driver and team when I play gp2, but I put them into a carset with real f1 drivers. Right now I'm at Spa in the 1997 schedule so my season is getting close to the end. This year I'm M(atthieu) Moreau of the Linden-Mazda team. My teamate is C(laes) Tegner.

Good thing there are extra spots in the carset - especially in later years like the later 90s and early 2000s.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Your picture looked familiar :D and how is it going? Are you doing 10% or 100%?!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

ismael wrote:
05.07.2022, 22:46
Your picture looked familiar :D and how is it going? Are you doing 10% or 100%?!
100% only! ever since 1996 I have only raced 100% lengths :D

I modify the magic data to make it harder and harder so I struggle with every race. This keeps me sharp. I finished 4th at spa last night- it was too easy. I try and set it up so I am competitive with mid-pack teams.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

I have to clap your effort! I don't know when or if ever I'll do 100% races again.
I feel honestly like when I was 13 and played "GP1" for the first time. 10% seems the right amount of effort :lol:

Let me praise the people building the tracks I've played recently! I can't really handle Andreras Schulz and Antônio Pessoa's Brno version without messing with magic data, but the track offers a really interesting challenge! It's Budapest on steroids, and the guys left it perfectly calibrated regarding track height and kerbs. It got me into a three-way fight with R. Cotman and Helmut Becker side by side with me all the way to the penultimate corner of the last lap, on my way to a hard won podium :)

And I've tested, for the first time, the Bremgarten track made by addie walti!It's a wacky experience and, even considering it's a short-sized version (or at least seems smaller than the Assetto Corsa version on Youtube), the resemblance is amazing. I can't wait to race with a 800+ HP GP2 Firenze car in that crazy track!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Ismael - I know this is off topic, but check out my Denver CART track on my youtube channel. I have been working on it since November.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fxw836HKtBs

I have taken a little break from playing gp2 in favor of finishing some ICR2 tracks.
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Nice idea and have fun with it, SMGP is just an all-time favorite for me :D

Zeroforce war truly a bad car, but was still capable of winning on some tracks. It`s true, 16 NPC-names (15 for each team other than player car and C.Ceara as challenger in season 2) are not enough, so I always mixed the names of SMGP and SMGP2. You can use fitting driver pics and get a whole set there. Also the drivers most likely fitted the teams then. And having Ceara and Asselin in Madonna is hilarious :mrgreen: Firenze was always a question for me, either putting strong Cotman or weaker Germi besides Elssler.

Has been some time since I last did that, I did "emulate" the original SMGP behaviour, beating 2 times and he get`s fired red bull style mid season :mrgreen:

enjoy it, always great to experience great memories from childhood again
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Yeah, I went for the 1989 reproduction option, so Cotman belongs to Firenze

Although I'm getting to a point where I think I put the Madonnas too difficult - in SMGP we didn't had to race so hard to beat the game as I'm doing now. That only came if we were up to beat Ceara when he challenged (I never reached that milestone :lol: )

I suppose SMGP's You in real-life was Alain Prost. He worked hard to become a champion with Madonna and then Ceara came along, challenged him in the sister Madonna and beat him. But then (regardless of what one thinks of F1 most polemic race ever, and I think Prost was not entitled to the corner) he was able to fight back and be a champion again... :wink:
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

That is great stuff, seems like I have to do some SMGP races as well :mrgreen: Maybe some quick ones in F1GP, I still have to set up an own updated SMGP set, but never find time for it :D
2022-08-30 15_07_10-Corel PaintShop Pro 2023 - Template-Car.pspimage.png
Ah, SMGP 1 is just awesome, indeed godlike Ceara and Asselin in an overpowered Madonna can truly be hard to beat. But somehow realstic, at least with season 88 in mind.

Years after the first defeat against Ceara, I finally managed to win both races against him, but of course accepted Bullets`offer to spice up season 2. I think I was in my late twenties od early thirties way back then, but finally I beat him. Hahaha. Additionally, you can spawn him in Season 1: Beat Asselin in Madonna with Minarae, Challenge Cotman, Retake Minarae and Ceare takes a seat in Linden. No idea why. But it messes the game, Asselin gets double points then, so it is hard to still beat him (but doable)