Suzuka overtaking: GP2 and reality

Smalltalk
Here you can post everything which doesn't fit into the other forums!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Suzuka overtaking: GP2 and reality

Post by ismael »

Sometimes, one could think that GP2 has small bugs in the AI of the CC's of the track layout and the behavior of other racers, or of what a gamer can achieve, especially about overtaking. We all know that it seems too easy to overtake on the inside line at the race start and Spa-Francorchamps, for example.

But sometimes reality shows us that some apparently odd overtaking spots are actual and real overtaking opportunities. It's just that in GP2 we are experimented drivers and we already aware of them. Magnussen's recent overtake on Massa in Suzuka turn 2 is a good example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3SOaBZwa7M

(Suzuka is really a great track).
ismael
GP2 Racer

Re: Suzuka overtaking: GP2 and reality

Post by ismael »

This was not pictured by Youtube, but in Interlagos Verstappen in fresh tyres caught Perez with a worn set, and got past in Laranja, the tight right-hander just next to Ferradura where Hamilton crashed in qualifying. It's another overtaking spot that we use a lot in GP2 but not so much in reality.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

I've made once a 50% RD race in Tsarskoye Selo, the excellent Russian fictional circuit developed by Andreas Schulz, and I insisted in taking a rear-wing 1 setup to the race. All was going well, and I was doing it turns 1 and 2 flat out, until a few laps before the pit stop I spun in turn 1, crashed and retired.

I thought this was a simple consequence of racing with RW1, which is taking Grand Prix 2 as an arcade video game instead of taking it seriously with a decent amount of rear wing. This couldn't happen in real life.

At least until the crash of Ericsson in British GP 2018 - another little step bringing GP2 closer to reality.

https://www.autosport.com/f1/news/13730 ... -big-crash

Marcus Ericsson has admitted his failure to close his Sauber Formula 1 car's DRS in time was the cause of his big crash in the British Grand Prix. (...)
Ericsson had his DRS engaged at the time - with a third zone having been added at this year's Silverstone race covering the start/finish straight and the first two corners, Abbey and Farm.

Although at first Ericsson believed there had been a problem with the system, he revealed that subsequent analysis by Sauber showed that he in fact did not hit the button to manually disengage it.

"I was behind Checo [Perez], and when you're racing and you have this DRS zone you want to be as late as possible to switch it off and early as possible to switch it on," explained Ericsson.

"I wasn't sure after the incident if it was a failure or not, but we've looked at the data and it seems like... I have the button behind my steering wheel and it's quite bumpy on entry and you go on the kerb, and I think I slipped and didn't hit it.

"Basically I turned in with the DRS open and then you're a passenger as the car just turns, that was the reason why it happened."
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

lol at least you have the excuse that Tsarskoye Selo was originally a Belini track and his tracks tried to prevent drivers from abusing the bug in GP2 aerodynamics that allows them to race with RW1 by building the track geometry with impossible bumps near and inside corners. A cheap, annoying, but very effective trick :mrgreen:
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

The great Belini tracks, indeed!

Here and there we see reality catching up to GP2. This is the latest:

http://www.grandprix.com/news/f1-should ... wolff.html

«"Toto Wolff says F1 should consider slashing the number of races on the annual calendar.
Recently, FIA president Jean Todt said he backed Liberty Media's apparent intention to blow the number of races out from 21 currently to as many as 23 in the near future.
But Mercedes boss Wolff said F1 should actually consider reducing the races to as few as 15 or 16.
"This means less revenue in the short term, but a more exclusive and valuable product in the long term," he told Der Spiegel.»

Here at GP2 we never left that number of slots... maybe Wolff is saying there should be 15 races because of the bug in slot 16.
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

Maybe F1 should should go back to the 1994 calendar, tracks, rule book, and start over again. F1 today is a joke in my view, DRS is not real racing, half the tracks have been destroyed or are pure rubbish, half the grid is scoring points instead of top 6 how it should be. It's not F1 any more it's reality TV
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Completely agree =D>
F1 is a shame today. Shame on Lauda and Prost and old stars to support a such joke..
In 1994 money was already a big problem but today there is only that. By now Dad pay a place for son in order to drive on a wide airport track.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

We acknowledge that slipstream in Grand Prix 2 is exaggerated.
But by seeing the way Hamilton was "sucked" by Bottas at the start of today's Russian GP, one wouldn't say...
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Time goes fast - we're returning to Suzuka again. Although actually, I'd like to take a little jump to last years' event.

I think the Hairpin is one of the places where one can easily overtake in Suzuka in GP2. Even in Ace mode, etc., the player is usually able to brake really later than the CC cars. Even going a little wide, the AI usually is not able to recover at the Hairpin exit, taking to Spoon.

In F1 this was always quite more difficult. Remember, for instance, in 1998, when Schumacher was in a hurry to still have some hopes of fighting for the championship and was stuck behind the two other champions of the grid. Passing in the hairpin was never easy.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRKZmeqvVuk

And, of course, Senna did not choose the Hairpin to do his leaps on Prost in 1988 or 1989. (And they never got there in 1990, yeah, we know.)

All this just makes the Verstappen manoeuvre on Vettel (2017) even more remarkable.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wNragBcqlPc
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Well, what about trying to overtake a car with an almost similar rhythm at Spoon? Even at GP2 it's not all that simple. But no one can say that it is irrealistic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qVjBccPipdI
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Now it's Charles Leclerc proving that overtaking in Rascasse, which is doable in GP2, is also possible in reality.
Although it depends on the line chosen by the CC-car ahead of you...
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

There are no stewards in GP2, fortunately. I wonder if GP2 doesn't end up being more "real" than reality.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

What happens in GP2 when you race with rear-wing "1" and front-wing "too much" and try to get out of the slipstream at the last minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VcjE3F6oN8
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

Post by roland ratzenberger »

exactly :D :D :D :D :D
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

ismael wrote:
20.08.2019, 13:35
What happens in GP2 when you race with rear-wing "1" and front-wing "too much" and try to get out of the slipstream at the last minute:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VcjE3F6oN8
HAHAHA this happened to me yesterday at Aida, except I spun the car completely and then made contact with a Simtek as I was trying to point the car back in the right direction. GP2 simulates reality