GP2 on Windows 7 - AAAAAAGGHH!!!!

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: GP2 on Windows 7 - AAAAAAGGHH!!!!

Post by rremedio »

For some computers (like mine), GP2 with DosBox is just slow. I can run it at good speed if I downgrade GP2 graphics (mainly trackside objects).

If you end up with the same conclusions for yours, you may try other virtual machines, like VirtualBox + Win98 or Virtual PC 2007 + WinXP. Some people got great experience with those. In my case, VirtualBox + Win98 is really fast for GP2, but not as smooth as I need for competitive play. VirtualPC 2007 + WinXP is fast and smooth, but gives me sound problems now and then.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

This can be a solution too. I will try in a moment my VPC with Windows 95.

And it's not about the difference. If you run GP2 without GP2Lap this rcr settings can't be applied.

EDIT: Hopefully it will works but not on buggy OS like this and not on my laptop. :lol: For using VPC or VB you need a little bit more video memory.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Another thing that may slow down DosBOX (and other VMs AFAIK) is the laptop energy saving configurations. I have to disable this in mine when I want to play, or PO will go beyond 300%.

Well, the fact is that my laptop is so crap that it will have processor overheating after some time playing GP2, how ridiculous is that? I've bought it in 2012!
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

Post by jakesanson »

rremedio wrote:If you end up with the same conclusions for yours, you may try other virtual machines, like VirtualBox + Win98 or Virtual PC 2007 + WinXP. Some people got great experience with those. In my case, VirtualBox + Win98 is really fast for GP2, but not as smooth as I need for competitive play. VirtualPC 2007 + WinXP is fast and smooth, but gives me sound problems now and then.
A friend has given me a Win98 CD to try and help, but I have no idea what I'm doing with it.
Find me on @jakesansonofficial or www.jakesanson.com
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Come and play the RRML using Grand Prix 2 via Downforce Racing YouTube channel!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

rremedio wrote:Another thing that may slow down DosBOX (and other VMs AFAIK) is the laptop energy saving configurations. I have to disable this in mine when I want to play, or PO will go beyond 300%.

Well, the fact is that my laptop is so crap that it will have processor overheating after some time playing GP2, how ridiculous is that? I've bought it in 2012!
Mine is from 2009 and I have 64MB video card. :lol: Anyway I haven't got such a problem.My is overheating when I play GP3. :lol: :lol: :lol: Yes you have to disable this settings for better game perfomance, well said. :)