GP2 on Android devices?

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

GP2 on Android devices?

Post by rremedio »

I've downloaded DOSBox to my Android phone and loaded GP2 on it. The game runs, but it's unplayable at 850+ PO (270+ at VGA mode).

I didn't have expectations of it being playable, as my device (Motorola Fire XT) is really crap. It has only 800mhz processor and Motorola did a job so poor with the OS that it's slower than my previous device (ZTE Racer, 600mhz). Also, playing almost any on the touchscreen is everything but fun, let alone a complex racing simulator like GP2. But I wanted to try as there are other devices with quad core cpus, big screens, buttons that may be assign to play (so you don't need to use the touch screen) etc...and it's GP2, I really need to know everything about it :D

Good news is that the game seems to work. Graphics are good, sound is ok.

Bad new is that in SVGA mode it's probably unplayable even with today's most powerful devices (well, GP2 with DOSBOX ins't fast even on my Win7 laptop, so there should'n be any surprise).

So does anyone have a top class Android device to test GP2 on it? I think Iphone also has Dos emulators and older Windows Mobile phones also have (don't know about Windows Phone).
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Re: GP2 on Android devices?

Post by RacerBG »

So you mean that is very slow? Well wait just more 1 or 2 years and it will be very fast. :lol:
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

RacerBG wrote:So you mean that is very slow? Well wait just more 1 or 2 years and it will be very fast. :lol:
Yes, and maybe in 2 years I get a better phone :D

Tested GP1 too and it runs at 230% PO (15fps)...
Early 90s F1 forever!
Peze
GP2 Gamer

Post by Peze »

Interesting stuff, I'd like to say I have top class phone to run GP2, but no, it's quite antique:D

GP2 with touch screen doesn't sound very playable - maybe F1GP would be a bit better, or both even if driving aids are used heavily, but that's would be less fun:) Next step would be patching for GP2 perhaps? About that PO for F1GP, frame rate wasn't so good on Amiga/Atari years ago either so maybe it's not that far from that - still these phones should be more capable nowadays than those machines back then, but OS and emulation takes it's taxes for sure.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Peze wrote:Interesting stuff, I'd like to say I have top class phone to run GP2, but no, it's quite antique:D

GP2 with touch screen doesn't sound very playable - maybe F1GP would be a bit better, or both even if driving aids are used heavily, but that's would be less fun:) Next step would be patching for GP2 perhaps? About that PO for F1GP, frame rate wasn't so good on Amiga/Atari years ago either so maybe it's not that far from that - still these phones should be more capable nowadays than those machines back then, but OS and emulation takes it's taxes for sure.
I've played other games like NFS on the phone that are designed for this kind of device and you can steer by tilting the phone and even those games are not very fun, so I think nothing would make GP2 (or GP1) fun to play on a touchscreen. But there are phones with physical keyboards and there are gamepads which can be attached to the device and would make the driving very good.

I've been thinking of buying a gamepad like IControlPad or Gametel, so I can properly play the Mega Drive emulator on the phone. But maybe it would be just waste of money, I always find something better to put my money, like beer :D
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

I`ve never tried Dos-Games on my phone (I`ve installed DB though), but I really love playing Sega Genesis (especially Super Monaco GP 1&2). This really works out great. I`m not quite sure, how the controls of GP2 could be any good on a mobile device, at least at current stage of development :D
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

MäxX wrote:I`ve never tried Dos-Games on my phone (I`ve installed DB though), but I really love playing Sega Genesis (especially Super Monaco GP 1&2). This really works out great. I`m not quite sure, how the controls of GP2 could be any good on a mobile device, at least at current stage of development :D
Does your device have a physical keyboard? I play some Mega Drive games too, but I really suck with the touchscreen at games that need quick responses.
Early 90s F1 forever!
canon1753
GP2 Newbie

Post by canon1753 »

I've seen YouTube of gp2 on android tablets.. I have more fun with gp2 so as it gets older I'd still like to play it... I think it would be interesting on an ipad but apple isn't going to go that way (see idos/dospad).
canon1753
GP2 Newbie

Post by canon1753 »

I'm running gp2 on a tegra 3, 1.2ghz tab. Not bad. Needs a bt keyboard or a gamepad... low detail, but seems pretty ok.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

canon1753 wrote:I'm running gp2 on a tegra 3, 1.2ghz tab. Not bad. Needs a bt keyboard or a gamepad... low detail, but seems pretty ok.
That's nice!
Early 90s F1 forever!
canon1753
GP2 Newbie

Post by canon1753 »

Probably fairly similar specs to an Ouya box. It's fun to play gp2. My beef with a lot of the ios/android racing games seem to be: a. You unlock or buy things and/or b. it's a locked in environment.

That's what I like about gp2, gpl, icr2, and rfactor.