Problem with Dos Box

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
78omt
GP2 Newbie

Problem with Dos Box

Post by 78omt »

Hey guys, first of all. I am new here and want to say hello.
I absolutely love GP2, however it doesn't work with XP for me anymore, so i decided to go with Dos Box.
I followed the instructions which are given on the gp2.de website.
Everything went smoothly, even the sound test works.However, when i want to start the game it says C:\Dokumente und Eisntellungen\Besitzer\D-Fend Reloaded\VirtualHD\GP2.EXE does not exist.
As anyone of a clue what the problem is, or what i might have wrong?
Thank you in advance, would be really cool, if someone could help me, thanks!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Re: Problem with Dos Box

Post by MaxX »

Maybe some problem with rights or spelling?

I use D-Fend with an own directory and everything works fine.
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

First of all, a belated hello and welcome!

It's a bit difficult to troubleshoot this from afar. But usually, any kind of "file not found" exception means one of three things:

a) The file is not at the path specified
b) The path to the file isn't spelled absolutely correctly
c) The file is at the path that's specified, but the program trying to access it doesn't have the right to do so

To cover a) and b), open the profile you created for GP2 in D-Fend, and look at the path to the file that's specified ("Programmdateiname"). Check that gp2.exe actually exists in the folder that's specified there - and check if all the names of the folders are spelt correctly (but unless you had typed them in, they should be).

If that's both correct, it may be a folder/file access rights issue. If "Besitzer" is an admin account and you might be running D-Fend from a different account that doesn't have admin rights, the program wouldn't be allowed to access that specific folder. (If you're not familiar with that kind of stuff, here are some info sources in german or english on that specific issue.)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

May it be that Dfend is case sensitive about paths and you don't have a GP2.EXE, but a gp2.exe or whatever?
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!