What is possible to have in GP2?

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
minardi
GP2 Starter

Re: What is possible to have in GP2?

Post by minardi »

Imagine if he was able to actually make Grand Prix 5. That game would probably have been absolutely amazing
Philip00
GP2 Newbie

Post by Philip00 »

Hi All,

I just wondering since this conversation was years ago, that is there anybody who figured out that is is possible to change the pit speed limit for all the cars?

Thanks in advance
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Philip00 wrote:
14.06.2019, 10:38
Hi All,

I just wondering since this conversation was years ago, that is there anybody who figured out that is is possible to change the pit speed limit for all the cars?

Thanks in advance
Not yet as far as I know.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
iKeysRacing
GP2 Newbie

Post by iKeysRacing »

Good evening All guys,

well, what if we make a 1€ donation each?
Just to give a symbolic support to these great programmers that, I assume, usually do this game-editing thanks to their passion and patience.

Maybe we could collect most important feauters that may really change the game experience having a sort of evolution for us.
Maybe I can create an online pool to choose democratically what we need more and then pass results to these guys capable of editing everything within the game.

We can all use my face and my identity to contact programmers, no problem, I'm old enough to do it.
And in Italy we have a sentence that says, translated litterally: "I do have a face equal to my bottom".
A way to say when someone is not shy at all to ask favours, helps, etc etc.

Best wishes to You all.
Marco Lazzari
Marco Lazzari
Youtube: iKeysRacing
Manselltash
GP2 Newbie

Post by Manselltash »

I remember seeing something online like a tutorial where inside the code of the game is the original rain which Geoff Crammond was going to include but decided not to.

I followed the instructions and got rain but it was awful and needed tweaking, modding or upgrading.

Just can't remember how and what I did and where the tutorial was seen.
karudo
GP2 Newbie

Post by karudo »

RacerBG wrote:
30.07.2012, 09:51
Ngendro, my friend, GP2 will be NOT able to run on Windows newer than ME in any way :!:
After installing Windows XP and VDMSound, I was able to get GP2 running under NTVDM. The speed was very good, and that was something I missed after moving most of my DOS games (and GP2) under DOSBox. There was one problem: GP2 sometimes crashed under XP. I later found VelocidadeXP-patch for GP2, but unfortunately I have never tested how it works.
RacerBG wrote:
30.07.2012, 09:51
For example to play F1 RS 1996 I must use one program called "Turbo" to slow down my CPU and one other game ICR2 for Windows can't run at all on my PC...
Yes, F1RS is a tricky one. These days we would disable VSync and set the frame rate cap to 85 with RTSS or a similar program.
rremedio wrote:
29.07.2012, 18:28
– – yellow flags / safety car (without the safety car showing up on track, obviously, stop and go, drive-through, parade laps and maybe more things.
Yes, virtual safety car for season 2015 and up.
rremedio wrote:
29.07.2012, 18:28
Longer tracks - NOT POSSIBLE
Thanks to gp2limit we are now able to make, at least, a bit longer tracks than what was originally possible. (I was impressed by the added detail on 1980's Monza, that took good use of gp2limit.)

Next, I'll share my not so realistic thoughts:

– 3Dfx patch could have been great for GP2. It would still be, as it would not only improve the graphics, but would reduce the CPU load needed for emulating GP2 under DOSBox. Unfortunately, source code would be needed for making this kind of improvement. (For example, NASCAR Racing 2 becomes very enjoyable under DOSBox after applying the 3Dfx patch.)

– The pit crew sounds were already recorded for GP2 and are already available under the GP2's resources. If there only was an easy way to make them to play on the right time during driving...

Now, to the most realistic possibilities I have thought in my mind:

– After we have got GP2Lap working, we now know where the gear shifts, speed and revs are located in the memory. Then, it could be possible to think about simulating fully manual gearbox on GP2 for legacy F1 seasons. We could map individual keys for each gear, and hopefully, when not pressed, making GP2 to see it as "neutral". With programs like DOSBox's Mapper, Xpadder, etc. we could map those keys for H-pattern shifters of today's wheels.

– GP2 has already code for clutch. Now I'm more sceptical, but hopefully we could found a way to make GP2 to require clutch to be pressed on each manual gearshift. *) This thought continues from my previous thought. This feature, I meant, would be only needed to be used with legacy season mods (before 1989) / other series mods when dogboxes were not present.

– Because we know the position of speed and revs in the memory, it might be possible to simulate engine stalling by too low revs after a gearshift, which could trigger an engine failure.

EDIT (16th June 2022): I made an additional comment on one of my thoughts to make it clearer (*).
Last edited by karudo on 16.06.2022, 20:38, edited 1 time in total.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

karudo wrote:
15.06.2022, 04:11
– GP2 has already code for clutch. Now I'm more sceptical, but hopefully we could found a way to make GP2 to require clutch to be pressed on each manual gearshift.
F1 cars would have had what we call a dogbox without syncros back then. You only use the clutch while going into first from neutral. In the other gears you don't need a clutch as you are shifting at high rpm and it rev-matches to get a smooth engagement. They sell one of these for a car that I have, and I thought about buying it, but I never race it at a track (only fun on the street).

watch this video- it's for a 1997 Jordan which had paddle shifters, but the actual way the gearbox works is the same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bChciv9_BuQ
Aerond
GP2 Starter

Post by Aerond »

karudo wrote:
15.06.2022, 04:11

– GP2 has already code for clutch. Now I'm more sceptical, but hopefully we could found a way to make GP2 to require clutch to be pressed on each manual gearshift. *) This thought continues from my previous thought. This feature, I meant, would be only needed to be used with legacy season mods (before 1989) / other series mods when dogboxes were not present.
Paddle shifters where introduced by Ferrari in 1989, but the gearboxes required a clutch for much longer, until 1999 iirc, except in the automatic / semi-automatic era of 1991-1993. Last team to run a fully manual gearbox with H-shifter was Forti in 1995.