Fuzzy screen - HELP, oh, and hello once again!

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
JamesonJack
GP2 Newbie

Fuzzy screen - HELP, oh, and hello once again!

Post by JamesonJack »

Hi guys,

firstly i just wanted to say hello again. it's been a long time since I was last on here as MaxD but its been a hectic year for me! Hoope you are all well.

I got a second hand PC a few weeks ago, bought 2GB RAM and transferred my old GP2 files from the storage device they were stored on, straight to the new PC but the game wont work.
Any thoughts why?

The game does load up but the opening screen is fuzzy in a horizontal pattern across the screen.

Do I need to re-install the game properly and then transfer the files seperately?

Any help would be great!

Max
JamesonJack
GP2 Newbie

Re: Fuzzy screen - HELP, oh, and hello once again!

Post by JamesonJack »

Sorry folks, I didn't realise my first topic needed to wait for authorisation before I posted it again in the next.

Please help me folks!

I re-installed the game, followed all the instruction for the XP tutorial but the screen is now blank! Totally blank!

HELP!!!!!!!!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

I`ve set up a virtual XP-Machine running in VMWare Workstation 8 and have the same problem. Using DosBox helps, but strangely the sound doesn`t work perfectly and their are problems with gp2lap.

I`d also be interested in a solution, hopefully I`ll find one. If I do, I`ll post it here, but I don`t have too much hope to fix it ;)
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

If the sound is skipping, a bit of toying around with DosBox's configuration file might be able to solve that. That is, if there were a fixed number of CPU cycles specified in there, because if that's a number too high for your PC's CPU to handle, that could slow down the emulation and cause the sound playback to skip.

Similarly, if the sound lags, the emulation might be running to slow.

Does it have any noticeable effects on sound performance if you use Ctrl+F11 / Ctrl+F12 to in- or decrease cycles manually?

Could you narrow down what kind of problems you're having with gp2lap? Does it plain not run, or performance troubles?
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Thanks for the input, I`ll try it out :)

EDIT: The sound is lagging, but the programme runs. Maybe this is caused by VMWare emulating a slower CPU. I`ll check this afterwards. I hoped to be able to play GP2 without Dosbox, just like on my old Win XP machine, but that won`t work I suppose. At least GP2Edit works. But I am confident to be able to play again soon, has been some time. :D
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Now it works. I had some performance-problems with the settings discribed, but switching the graphics card to opengl did the trick and GP2Lap runs smoothly now. On some tracks there are problems and at the start things are getting a little bit slower, but at least it works :)

Thx again!
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

That's good news. It's a bit of a trial-and-error with the emulator settings these days, kind of like just getting the right water temperature in these nightmare hotel showers in some places. But gamers are kind of resilient when it comes to still being able to enjoy the things they've had for so much time, as we're showing here on a daily basis, don't we? :)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Absolutely right :D