How to make a good competive AI together with chance to win?

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

How to make a good competive AI together with chance to win?

Post by RacerBG »

What exactly I mean is this :arrow:

I make carsets since months now but still I cant get the right formula to achieve a good AI together with a chance for you to win the race :-k

What means that :?: Well you want a AI which will drive as good as you to make your race experience better, BUT usually the AI is always faster than you :!: If you try to make them slower the result is even worse. :|

I want to make them competive and meanwhile enough slower to give you a chance for win. How to do it :?: Still I cannot achieve the right formula for that............. [-(
AD
GP2 Acc

Re: How to make a good competive AI together with chance to

Post by AD »

What you're dealing with there is game balancing, which, as developers, reviewers and players out there should be well able to confirm is one of the most fragile elements of the whole thing. Keep in mind that different players have different ability, i.e. in this case not everyone's as fast (or slow) as the other, so what's just quick enough to give you a challenge but not overpowering so it stops being fun is a bit subjective, too.

Especially since, with a game like GP2, you have the different track slots to account for, where certain addon tracks may perform differently, so whatever numbers for driver grip have been working wonderfully for a certain track in a certain slot might be too much (or not enough) on others.

It becomes a lot of trial-and-error at that point. For my style of playing and level of experience, the leaders somewhere around 16500 points are what gives me a challenge to win without making it in any way too easy. For some of the other experienced foxes around here, it might be an entirely different number.

(I'm sorry if this is more game-design-philosophical than methodically helpful...)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Well I had already experimenting around but the effect is the same - the AI is faster or the AI is slower + me also. :mrgreen: And if I also include my own car setup then after 1-2 laps from 390km/h Im drving with 350km/h strange...... :roll: And even so they're faster than me....... :lol: But their top speed is around 360km/h thats annoy's me the most. Why they're better than me :?:
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

You need to adjust the ccs setup in the track editor for the given track, so they have the same top speed as yours (usually giving them rear wing one or two points higher then yours). Then you adjust the performance levels in GP2edit so they get lap times similar to yours. It works for a single track, but it won't work if you want to use the same performance in the carset for several tracks.

If you want better control, specially giving the same fuel consumption for the player and the ccs, you should use the Slot Editor and also adjust tyre wear in the track editor (adjusting the tyre wear requires a lot of testing, trial and error). It also helps if you want to use the same performance for several tracks. It also requires a lot of trial and error, as there are no formulas to calculate the correct values.

If you mess up with car grip in GP2Editor and/or track physical values in the Track Editor (acceleration, air resistence, etc...), your work will be harder.

Another thing to keep in mind is that several tracks, specially old ones (not old in real life, but made for GP2 long time ago), have bad ccline, so the ccs usually brake in corners were you don't need to brake so hard or brake at all. You can balance things for those tracks as well, but it will end up creating strange situations, the ccs being overpowered in most parts of the circuit to compensate their slower speed in some corners.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

Well really this is a lot of work to do :lol: I prefer to do this for the original GP2 tracks.
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

I use values to have the best driver an equal Grip to MSC in the original GP2.

If I remember correctly I use 800bhp and a grip of 16.300 with a randomizazionrange of 100

Slower players can use a lower difficulty setting, better players should use a car with lower bhp (use the player`s bhp are equal to the selected team option)
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Post by RacerBG »

MäxX wrote:I use values to have the best driver an equal Grip to MSC in the original GP2.

If I remember correctly I use 800bhp and a grip of 16.300 with a randomizazionrange of 100

Slower players can use a lower difficulty setting, better players should use a car with lower bhp (use the player`s bhp are equal to the selected team option)
Yes this is maybe the best formula for a good game because in the original GP2 I can very easy achieve a win. :)
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

MäxX wrote:I use values to have the best driver an equal Grip to MSC in the original GP2.

It will work perfectly for original tracks in their original slot. But with most custom tracks you will end up being too fast or too slow for the ccs.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

rremedio wrote: It will work perfectly for original tracks in their original slot. But with most custom tracks you will end up being too fast or too slow for the ccs.
A good point! That`s the general prob with the slots, I use the recommented slot by the author as far as possible