Perfect Grand Prix Track Pack and Game Edit

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Re: Perfect Grand Prix Track Pack and Game Edit

Post by samsepi0l »

back on topic (perfect grand prix)

Does anyone know if the tracks included in perfect grand prix are better than sister versions in the download section?
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Thank you Roberto, exactly what I ment. :D

Back to topic : in my oppinion they where good at that time, but current versions here are much better. Perfect grand prix versions don't include new Jams, are pretty flat and Paul ricard has graphical issues.

Nevertheless, I am happy to have it in my collection :D
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

As I said elsewhere, I think the work developed by the track designers in this forum is amazing and we now reached a level where the latest tracks (by Antonio Pessoa, for instance, but RRemedio and others too) are more realistic that those of the original game. There are lots of hours of work, experience and accumulated expertise in them.

One of the best examples is the Montreal 2019 track, which is way better than the original Montreal track - and there was only one minor change in the layout, which was erasing the sweeping last turns and making them into the final straight as it is today, in 1996.

I've tried the Hungaroring 2003 this week for the first time, and I was immediately amazed how much better than the original it is, as those walls, erm, kerbs of the 2 chicanes were made realistic; now I can approach them as the CC-cars without being thrown in the air.

So I kind of don't miss the Perfect Grand Prix Track Pack and Game Edit, this forum tracks are way more valuable, in my opinion.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

I agree... it just seems like I remember enjoying the perfect grand prix tracks when i was a kid. When this came out and I installed it- I thought it was like Magic. :P
Di3goF1
GP2 Newbie

Post by Di3goF1 »

rremedio wrote:
09.07.2020, 15:55
I think you are probably talking about 2007 carset by Thomas Khost in the CART section http://grandprix2.de/Carsets/cart/index_cart/cart.htm

It comes with an extra carset of single-coloured template cars.
Thanks!
Saludos!
iKeysRacing
GP2 Newbie

Re: Up to 40 cars w/ Perfect Grand Prix Track Pack and Game Edit

Post by iKeysRacing »

Good morning All, I'm new to this forum and I apologise upfront in case I will do some mess.
I've found this topic and to me is very interesting, I'm going to explain why quickly.
Within PerfGP there was an nice game-editor (similar to GP2edit made by Steven Young that maybe many of us currently use).

A specific feature of this PerfGP-editor was the possibility to decrease/increase the number of cars starting on a grid, up to 40 slots in total!
And it was (at least back then around year 2000) the only editor capable of doing this.
For what I know.

To me was very useful to play LeMans/Endurance races with 40 cars with the possibility to properly divide GroupC, GT, etc etc.
Also was possible to create, for TouringCars for example, entire national fields both with official constructors and privateers.
The same for some national F3 championships were drivers were more than 30 in some seasons like in my country in Italy where some F3 GP in Monza had up to 52 partecipants with pre-qualifying sessions like in F1 at the end of the 80s / beginning of 90s (then exploded the legal case of "ManiPulite" and the following year we struggled to have 20 partecipants in the italian championship...but that's another story ;) ).

I haven't found the same feature in any other editor so far.
And I suppose it has to do with that "magic data" that GP2 has within its .EXE file.

The problem to me is that (under Win7) it is not possible to install PerfGP editor anymore because it is a 32bit software and I can't make it to run, neither to start under 64 bit OS.

Do you know if this slot-maximum-number of the grid is edit-able in any other way please with current GP2 editors?
Or do you know if there is another workaround capable of running PerfGP under 64 bit OS please?
(For this last point I've tried also virtual XP modes, virtual machines...nothing, I'm stuck as if I hadn't tried anything)

Many thanks in advance.
I wish you the best given the current period.

Marco Lazzari
Marco Lazzari
Youtube: iKeysRacing
Pouco95
GP2 Newbie

Re: Up to 40 cars w/ Perfect Grand Prix Track Pack and Game Edit

Post by Pouco95 »

iKeysRacing wrote:
10.03.2021, 01:07
Good morning All, I'm new to this forum and I apologise upfront in case I will do some mess.
I've found this topic and to me is very interesting, I'm going to explain why quickly.
Within PerfGP there was an nice game-editor (similar to GP2edit made by Steven Young that maybe many of us currently use).

A specific feature of this PerfGP-editor was the possibility to decrease/increase the number of cars starting on a grid, up to 40 slots in total!
And it was (at least back then around year 2000) the only editor capable of doing this.
For what I know.

To me was very useful to play LeMans/Endurance races with 40 cars with the possibility to properly divide GroupC, GT, etc etc.
Also was possible to create, for TouringCars for example, entire national fields both with official constructors and privateers.
The same for some national F3 championships were drivers were more than 30 in some seasons like in my country in Italy where some F3 GP in Monza had up to 52 partecipants with pre-qualifying sessions like in F1 at the end of the 80s / beginning of 90s (then exploded the legal case of "ManiPulite" and the following year we struggled to have 20 partecipants in the italian championship...but that's another story ;) ).

I haven't found the same feature in any other editor so far.
And I suppose it has to do with that "magic data" that GP2 has within its .EXE file.

The problem to me is that (under Win7) it is not possible to install PerfGP editor anymore because it is a 32bit software and I can't make it to run, neither to start under 64 bit OS.

Do you know if this slot-maximum-number of the grid is edit-able in any other way please with current GP2 editors?
Or do you know if there is another workaround capable of running PerfGP under 64 bit OS please?
(For this last point I've tried also virtual XP modes, virtual machines...nothing, I'm stuck as if I hadn't tried anything)

Many thanks in advance.
I wish you the best given the current period.

Marco Lazzari
man, do you can send to me the dowload of PerfGP ? i wish to make a championship of Nascar, but with 26 cars its very simple. Can you send to me ?
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

I also remembered that feature, but somehow I never was able to get it working correctly. :-k Even using that editor, maybe I did something wrong.

rremedio, one of our best patchers, has summed up, what is possible and what`s not and last status was, that it`s not:
viewtopic.php?t=920

Maybe there will be an update to that, 20 Teams and more cars on track possible would be awesome indeed, especially for classic carsets and mods especially for other series.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

There is indeed space for 40 cars and 20 teams in the game for some reason, but not enough grid space or pit space for that. A feature like that would require a deep and complex change to the game loop which I'm not sure if it can be done via hex editing or even with code injection. But I never had access to Perfect GP so I can't say if their editor can do it or not, or how to make it work in modern machines (a virtual machine would be my suggestion, but apparently that was tried already).
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

I took a look again, the Perfect Editor doesn`t seem to have that functionality.

I think you are talking about GP2EdWin found on -> http://www.grandprix2.de/Util/util_old.htm
2021-03-12 14_50_45-GP2EdWin 1.1.png
I tested it, it works. One might have to fiddle around with it a little bit more, it would be interesting how to set the jams. Currently the 15th team uses Pacific jams as well and the pit crew spot before the first :-k If someone does, maybe better in a new thread because it goes off-topic then :D
x2.png
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

That's very nice already. Does it change the 26 cars on track limit? During one of my runs trying to hex edit the game I was able to decrease the number of available teams, but it wasn't useful since the game would put duplicates of the remaining teams to complete the 26 cars (like, I limited it to only Williams once and I got 26 Williams cars in the race). I was never able to increase the number of available teams like this program does tho. I may give it a look to learn how it does it once I return from my current temporary retirement from GP2.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

No, you still have 26 cars, but for pre 1993 carsets it would still be awesome to use the 20 Teams :D

I would have to do some more Tests with this tool. Things like what happens if spare driver pics and helmets are patched by gp2edit and what pit crew slots are used for all teams. Having more cars on track would be amazing though.
iKeysRacing
GP2 Newbie

Post by iKeysRacing »

Good evening All,

many thanks for being so kind to quickly reply to my notes.
I knew this forum was great but I was not expecting so much kind support!!! :o :o :o

I try to reply in one space to you all.

@Pouco95
Ciao Pouco95, to me no problem to send you directly (or to all the forum) PerfectGP zipped file.
Just kindly tell me where or how, email, wetransfer, whatever, no problem at all ;)

@MaxX
Ciao MaxX, thank you for your notes.
I confirm also from my view within the program that I can see and edit (team&driver names, powers, grips...) for spare-teams from 15 to 20 for that total of 40 as maximum cars/drivers.
I can apply it to GP2 (with function "patch it") and during qualifying there are 40 cars running.
The last missing piece is that with this editor I can't (or I don't see how to) enlarge the starting grid up to 40.
So, very likely, this PerfGPeditor is the one in the package with Damon Hill on Arrows-Yamaha 1997 in the fron cover of the box of the game.
The one I do remember was instead included in the PerfGP previous box, the green box one with the Arrows of 1 or 2 previous years (with the side sponsor PowerHorse) that looks almost like a Ferrari F1 of 1996 driven by Shumy&Irvine (maybe because its coloured on purpose in red).
(see pictures here below about what I've written so far)
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-12 at 22.06.44.jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-12 at 22.06.45 (1).jpeg
WhatsApp Image 2021-03-12 at 22.06.45.jpeg
Your second part - Exactly what I've got as you. The problem is increase just the starting grid with up to 40 cars.

@rremedio
Ciao rrmedio, you are right, that is the point: edit the GP2.EXE file up to 40 slots.
I'm not an expert but I tried to edit it with an app called "Resource Tuner" under WinXP on a old notebook of mine (it should work anyway also Win 7-8-10).
But I don't understand where to edit that specific field or grid-slot-numbers.
The PerfGPeditor I remember coming from the green box (basically the first edition) had the field with arrows up/down to easily increase/decrease how many starters.

Thanks.
Marco Lazzari
Marco Lazzari
iKeysRacing
GP2 Newbie

Post by iKeysRacing »

Sorry I missed to inserti the two versions of PerfGP I was mentioning.
Here they are.
Cheers.
ML
PerfGP_NEW.PNG
PerfGP_NEW.PNG (558.64 KiB) Viewed 32577 times
PerfGP_OLD.PNG
PerfGP_OLD.PNG (383.12 KiB) Viewed 32577 times
Marco Lazzari
iKeysRacing
GP2 Newbie

Post by iKeysRacing »

Sorry, me again.
I must correct myself: my current old version is the one with GREEN box.
I've purchased one minute ago the GREY box with D.Hill on Arrows-Yamaha 1997; via retrogames.co.uk, 19 pounds p&p included.
I've seen some screenshots on the box and did remind me the correct GP2editor I was remembering.
As soon as it arrives I'll let you know if I've thrown away almost 20 bucks or if finally is the thing I was desperately looking for.
I'll keep you posted.
Best wishes to You all.

p.s. Obviously if it is the correct one, and not just a box added to my collection..., it will become free for us all, no problem.
Just let me know how to share a program/file and then I'll do it.
Cheers.
Marco Lazzari