GP2 Copyrights

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Marius
GP2 Newbie

GP2 Copyrights

Post by Marius »

Hello everybody,

I just started to play GP2 after years, it's so much fun :)
Does anyone of you know by chance anything about the copyrights of GP2?
Who is the actual owner of the copyrights or is it already "open source" so that everybody could use the game for further applications and/or business?

Thanks so much for your replies.

Best,
Marius
RacerBG
GP2 Pro

Re: GP2 Copyrights

Post by RacerBG »

GP2 is abandonware application already but Im sure you cannot sell it or make a business with it :wink:

Geoff Grammond is still alive 8)
Marius
GP2 Newbie

Post by Marius »

Thanks.
I wasn't planning to make real money with it, but GP2 is offered as a freed ownload at several pages...
Do you know if this is legal?
Could someone offer an updated "easy-to-install" version of GP2 with updated cars and e.g. multiplayer enabled?
Cheers, Marius
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

First of all, welcome!

We actually talked about this before here (I had to look it up to confirm it was actually in 2007). I don’t see any significant changes since then. While the original MicroProse developer studio (which made the games way back when) may not exist anymore, ownership of intellectual property will most likely have been acquired by Infrogrames // Atari with which MicroProse was merged in 2001.

“Abandonware” is not any legal kind of status. The presence of any particular game being available for download here and there does not say anything in terms of whether copying and sharing it for free is allowed. There could be some assumption that whichever company may be the rightful owner of the IP may not be aware of those particular sites and/or may not intervene, however, unless a site like that would have express permission from whoever may own the rights, sharing cannot be considered legal.

Above individual companies, there also is a trade association for the video game industry, called the Entertainment Software Association (ESA). That, also, may act on behalf of companies which are a member of that. There is, also, the possibility that Formula One Management (FOM) as continuing license holder in terms of the sport may be able to object.

My assessment of the situation continues to be that redistributing the game in any way should be considered off-limits.

After all, there still are possibilities to get legitimate copies of the game via trusted mainstream online auction places...
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
Marius
GP2 Newbie

Post by Marius »

Hi AD,
thank you so much for your detailled reply. I will further research on your information. In case I get an official confirmation on the IP status I'll let the forum know.
Best, Marius