Setups for old tracks?

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Shadowcat
GP2 Newbie

Setups for old tracks?

Post by Shadowcat »

Hello all,

I noticed the setups available for download are mostly for 1994, some for later seasons like 1998. But I wonder, has no one ever attempted to set up cars for some of the older tracks, like Old Silverstone, Reims, Old Spa, etc.? I downloaded some of these tracks and when trying to drive them with the 1950s carset, I have a terrible lack of top speed so everyone overtakes me on the straights. (And as you know, these old tracks had a lot of straights!)

Thanks in advance.
Gabriele
GP2 Starter

Re: Setups for old tracks?

Post by Gabriele »

I usually look into trackeditor to understand cc's car setups.
Then I build up an easy-but-fun setup: lower rear wing to zero, decrease ride height by 10 or 15 mm, and adjust gears in order to obtain top speed with FOURTH gear (in 1950's race cars only had 4 gears, the fifth one I think came un on 1960 or so). It's just a matter of trying again and again...
"When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough."
Ayrton Senna Da Silva

Currently working on MotoGP 500 season 1991 (converted to Gp2)
MotoGP 500 season 1990 done.
Shadowcat
GP2 Newbie

Post by Shadowcat »

Ah, thank you! I have been messing around a bit with setups based on my 1994 ones, but I don't like, for instance, setting up wings on cars that don't even have wings... I hadn't thought about the ride height, I'll try that! Thanks!

If I find a good setup, I'll publish it here if someone wants.
Shadowcat
GP2 Newbie

Post by Shadowcat »

Hm, that is weird... When I drive on the Old Spa-Francorchamps track (which is very beautiful, by the way), my car is always 10-12 seconds slower than the leader, no matter what setup I use, even if I copy the CC setup from Track Editor...

Has anyone else experienced this? Maybe there is something wrong with the track? I used the 1950, 1951, 1952, 1953 and 1954 carsets, and I keep getting the same problem...
racer63
GP2 Gamer

Post by racer63 »

Maybe you´re using the track in the wrong slot?
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Does this generally appear or is it in Spa only?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Nobody ever listens to me.... :P

There's no formula to have fair races in GP2. You need to configure the track, the carset, the slots. Microprose had to do a lot of tweeks to make the original game competitive. Custom tracks and carset brake everything they did. So you have to do it again.

To make it worst, old trackmakers used to put slot numbers in the forms based on the slot they created the track, which usually is not the best slot to have a fair race.

Which carsets with very low powered cars (like the 50ies) is even harder to make good races, becouse your car is to fast for the ccs at race start or low speeds, but at the top speeds the ccs are a lot more efficient due to GP2 poor cc physics.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Shadowcat
GP2 Newbie

Post by Shadowcat »

It is only in Spa. I use it in slot 11, the same slot the Spa track is in the original version of GP2.

rremedio, how do I configure the track? I can load it into Track Editor and there are figures for all sorts of physics, but I don't know what to change them to.