A big thank to the community

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
MaxX
GP2 Star

A big thank to the community

Post by MaxX »

I`d like to thank all you guys who are still patching a game of 1996. GP2 is the only sim I know in which you can have races with real tracks back to the 50ies and 60ies and you also have a great variety of other tracks of other series.

We can race the current season with all cars, drivers, tracks, that`s also a great point. I know that patching is quite some effort, also providing and keeping a homepage with a forum up to date is much work. It is great that there are still some persons who do that and this is just a great thing.

You keep that game alive, thank you all very much!
Antonio Pessoa
GP2 Gamer

Re: A big thank to the community

Post by Antonio Pessoa »

I also thanks to GP2 Community, for the tracks, carsets, and a lot of stuff still playable on a 1996 old game like Grand Prix II.

I play GP2 since July 1998, it's a long time! And really I can't imagine how long this game would be in my life.

But much of the recent stuff would not be possible without Andreas and his website.

Thank You all!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
GP2 TrackMaker
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

Antonio Pessoa wrote:But much of the recent stuff would not be possible without Andreas and his website.
I agree! If he wouldn´t be crazy enough to place all our works on his site, Gp2 was dead already... :(
TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Great forum and great community! This game is really the most attractive to the steering, tracks, carsets ... I play GP2 since August 1997 and I think it is not comparable to other simulations of past and present.
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

Well if you look at how many carsets have been released for the 2008 motor sport season, that tells you just how "alive" GP2 still is. Off the top of my head there were carsets released for F1, IndyCars, WTCC, BTCC, V8 Supercars and Le Mans 24 Hours, that's pretty good going for a game that's 13 years old!
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
racer63
GP2 Gamer

Post by racer63 »

Well, this is the first time I write on this forum but I want to thank to all the developers who make possible that GP2 is alive and kicking.

I´ve played many race games through the years and GP3, GP4. I think that GP2 is better, unless not graphically, has a better gameplay and is more realistic. GP4 (and lately GP3!) has too many problems in my computer. GP2 goes like a charm... and is easy to upgrade to all seasons.

Thanks to all of you who still support GP2 and play it =D> =D> =D>
AAS
GP2 Star

Post by AAS »

TdK wrote:
Antonio Pessoa wrote:But much of the recent stuff would not be possible without Andreas and his website.
I agree! If he wouldn´t be crazy enough to place all our works on his site, Gp2 was dead already... :(
hehe, yes it is really crazy and it is good to be crazy. :lol:

Some years ago I was sure the community is dead.
But we are still here. \:D/ It's a small but friendly GP2world!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

I don`t know how much time I`ve spent with that game (playing or patching), but I doubt that there is any one other which is in reach ;)

I hope that this Gp2-community will see many summers in the future :D
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

It really seems amazing how this all turned out. How much and how different stuff was created for this game, despite the kind of technical limitations there are because of its age, is surprising.
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
TdK
GP2 Pro

Post by TdK »

AD wrote:..., despite the kind of technical limitations there are because of its age, is surprising.
In my opinion today's games have more limitations. Try to make a track for DTM3 (Toca3) for instance :wink:

I once tried to update a single Renault Clio V6 car, i did not came any further then a Fortis Bank sponsor on
the bonnet and roof... 8)

TdK - (re)tired GrandPrix 2 manic!
jakesanson
GP2 Acc

Post by jakesanson »

I am very proud to contribute to and be a part of our community, even if i am also competing on batracer.com.........
Find me on @jakesansonofficial or www.jakesanson.com
Voice of the FIA Karting World and European Championships, IAME Euro & Asia Series, and more.

Commentated at the British Grand Prix for Formula 1 in 2019 and the Le Mans 24 Hours for ACO in 2016. Yep, I can't believe it either.....

Come and play the RRML using Grand Prix 2 via Downforce Racing YouTube channel!
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

TdK wrote:In my opinion today's games have more limitations. Try to make a track for DTM3 (Toca3) for instance :wink:
It's gotten more complex, I'd second that. It seems to take so much time having to cpme up with a real 3D model, or just high-res textures with layering technique for an existing one. On the other hand, with GP2, you can't easily change the texture mapping, so whenver you're doing something else than Grand Prix cars, you have to basically paint on the same template, distort the bitmaps so the shape re-distorts them again into something that hopefully looks all right. That's the kind of stuff I was talking about when I said "limitations". It surprised me that quite some non-GP ideas turned up over the years, because when I tried to do a classic BMW touring car livery with the three-colored stripes running across the car diagonally, it just gave me a headache. :|

Of course I wasn't imagining that modern titles could do everything. :)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Yes, patching doesn`t get easier and if the developer doesn`t give good tools it`s real a tough job. The last "newer" game I patched for was for Unreal Tournament 2004, but only due the good tools for it (it wasn`t that easy though). Making a car in GP2 is just fun ;)

Currently I`m patching for another very old game, Dark Reign. But not graphical, more programming ;)
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I think you are all right to praise this community efforts.

It's sad that GP2 golden years are gone when you think about the number of players. But the quality of the stuff made by this community is unprecedented.

Thank you guys! You rule!
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!