Magic Data Editor

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Re: Magic Data Editor

Post by samsepi0l »

rremedio wrote:
29.03.2019, 01:24
I believe it is 16384.
Interesting- this is a power of 2.
2 raised to the 14th power equal 16384.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

It is 4000 in hexadecimal numbers. It is the base number for several things in GP2 including some Magic Data factors like fuel consumption and semi pro grip. Also, it always felt right on my tests (tho I haven't really measured or calculated anything).
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

I am using Linux, so I tried to run the magic editor with WINE and it would not start.

Do you know what operating system I should try this with? I have a windows 7 virtual machine as well. I can install another if needed.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I think winxp or newer should work. But I only tested it under Win7 and Win10.
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

I was able to get it to work on my win 7 pc that I use for only modifying gp2 and icr2 (when I can't use linux).

I wish I could get it to work in Linux with WINE but I had no luck, if anyone knows any tricks please let me know.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Hey rremedio, I am racing a track right now in slot 4. This track is detroit 83/88. If I put 20 laps of fuel in, I am only able to race about 18 laps before it is out of gas.

Can I fix this in the magic data?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Yes, there is a parameter called Human Fuel that will affect your fuel consumption. Decrease it to consume less fuel each lap.
Early 90s F1 forever!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

When will it be possible in Grand Prix 2 to step out of the car and push, like Mansell and Prost? #joke
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

you have on here an option for "overall cc grip level"

it has a value for qualifying and race

it looks like the original value for all of these is 16588

If I increase this, will it make all of the cars a little faster? I am trying to make the game a little harder without it behaving strangely
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Yes. It works like the grip levels in the magic data, but it affects all slots at once. Higher values will result in faster ccs around all slots.
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

rremedio wrote:
25.04.2019, 06:17
Yes. It works like the grip levels in the magic data, but it affects all slots at once. Higher values will result in faster ccs around all slots.
Yes I see. I added 1000 more to the value and I could not even keep up with the Osella cars! I had to lower it down a little.

I also fixed the fuel consumption. Thank you for your help!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

rremedio wrote:
So- today I raced in slot 5 with the kyalami track I downloaded. I had the difficulty down a little too much, I should have raised the value for CC grip a little more. I only should have added about 500 or so. I think it was set at 16000.

I normally save the magic-data file for a track and keep it in a backup folder, so that next time I use the same track in the same slot it will be less setup and more driving. What parameter should I be changing to increase/or decrease the CC speed (difficulty) for a specific track? I want a way I can keep it the same difficulty, because I race on ACE but sometimes I am way faster than everyone, sometimes way slower. I normally tweak this with the MASTER grip number in the magic data that influences all the tracks. I'd like to figure out how to do it individually so i can leave the MASTER grip level the same.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

samsepi0l wrote:
04.04.2020, 05:16
rremedio wrote:
So- today I raced in slot 5 with the kyalami track I downloaded. I had the difficulty down a little too much, I should have raised the value for CC grip a little more. I only should have added about 500 or so. I think it was set at 16000.

I normally save the magic-data file for a track and keep it in a backup folder, so that next time I use the same track in the same slot it will be less setup and more driving. What parameter should I be changing to increase/or decrease the CC speed (difficulty) for a specific track? I want a way I can keep it the same difficulty, because I race on ACE but sometimes I am way faster than everyone, sometimes way slower. I normally tweak this with the MASTER grip number in the magic data that influences all the tracks. I'd like to figure out how to do it individually so i can leave the MASTER grip level the same.
There are actually several values that can help you. All of them affect only the ccs, so you can choose whatever you want to tweak, there isn't much difference.

Slot Grip will make the ccs faster when decreased, slower when increased. It affects both qualifying and non-qualifying sessions. It is a nice way to quickly configure a track, but I usually let it at 9216 and change the other values because I like to set up qualifying and race sessions carefully.

Then there are two pairs of grip values, each pair has a value for qualifying and a value for the race. Increasing then will make ccs faster. The second pair (Race Grip 2 and Qual Grip 2) usually has the same value for both, so I usually leave it that way. The first pair (Race Grip 1 and Qual Grip 1) usually has lower values, and that's the one I like to change.

All these numbers will basically affect cc corner speeds. To change the top speeds, you need to change the wings (and sometimes gears) in the CC Setup panel in the Track Editor.

I hope it helps.

ps.: I haven't noticed any difference in behaviour by using one factor or another. All of them seem to affect the ccs in the same way, even if the amount you have to change for a given effect is not the same (especially comparing Slot Grip with the others). In GP3, they call the second pair as "CC Power Factor" or something like that and it seems to affect the car speed more than the actual grip, but I think both pairs affect speed and grip in different ways in GP3...in GP2 they seem to affect grip only, so I don't know why two pairs.
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

lately I have really been dialing in the CC performance for me with the magic data so I can make the game very competitive and challenging... it is way more fun this way..

rremedio... can you give me any more information on what is "race grip 2" and "qual grip 2"? I read your "readme.txt" file, and I see they are the same, I just think there must be a good reason why there are 2 sets like this.... :-k
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

samsepi0l wrote:
01.05.2020, 06:18
lately I have really been dialing in the CC performance for me with the magic data so I can make the game very competitive and challenging... it is way more fun this way..

rremedio... can you give me any more information on what is "race grip 2" and "qual grip 2"? I read your "readme.txt" file, and I see they are the same, I just think there must be a good reason why there are 2 sets like this.... :-k
Like I said in the previous post, I have no idea. Both pairs seem to affect the ccs in the same way.
Early 90s F1 forever!