What championship are you doing now?

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Buttonfan
GP2 Starter

Re: What championship are you doing now?

Post by Buttonfan »

Thanks guys

@ V12 - Power
Yeah I do take some notes but a lot of it is from memory, for example, collisions/incidents.

@ Edgars Erix
That would be cool mate, my e-mail is leeharrison14@hotmail.co.uk. More reports soon !
Edgars Erix
GP2 Gamer

Post by Edgars Erix »

Buttonfan wrote:Thanks guys
@ Edgars Erix
That would be cool mate, my e-mail is leeharrison14@hotmail.co.uk. More reports soon !
OK! I'll try to find the most crazy one :mrgreen:
Chico Landi
GP2 Starter

Post by Chico Landi »

I just play "pratice" or "single race". 8)

I'm a bad driver for a championship.... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I'm the last in the championship.... #-o :oops: :cry:

sorry...
Chico Landi
Greyhead
GP2 Star

Post by Greyhead »

I always get bored doing championships, usually cos even after twelve years playing GP2, I'm still absolutely rubbish at it! i think I've managed to complete two seasons ever: the original 1994 season that comes with the game (I won the title in a Tyrrell, but it was on "beginner"), and my own 1982 season a while ago (I finished seventh in a non-turbo McLaren, thanks mainly to the fact that I still can't set the car up properly for most circuits). I've started many others, but never finished any of them!
Wander over to http://www.facebook.com/PixelDreamsGP2 and click "Like" for updates and screenshots from the world of PixelDreams!
Chico Landi
GP2 Starter

Post by Chico Landi »

Maybe now, I'll play the Le Mans Series 2008....maybe. :-"
Chico Landi
Buttonfan
GP2 Starter

Post by Buttonfan »

@ Edgars Erix

Just looked at your powerpoint of the Reims race. Really good to read. Congratulations on the win ! Can you send me the Monza championship decider ? Also, what carshape and carset do you use for 1950 though, both of mine are different to yours.

I've been away away on holiday so didn't have chance to put a review of Bremgarten, but I got a few notes so here's a shorter version. (It was a boring race anyway :lol: ).

Round 3 - Bremgarten

Qualifying

My best qualifying session yet as I stuck it on the front row - second to Fangio.

Race

In the race I had a dreadful start amd went down to fourth, though I limited the damage to third by going around Villoresi coming out of turn 1. On lap 5 Ascari took the lead from Fangio, who was lapping two seconds off the front-running pace, as was Farina. On lap 7 I caught and passed Fangio, who was on the same strategy as me, so his lack of pace was strange. I was now quickest by half a second a lap to Ascari, and by lap 25 I was right on his tail. On lap 27 I took him by out-braking him into the slowest corner on the circuit. I then pitted on lap 30, as did Ascari. But Villoresi had got some damage the lap before and crawled back. This messed up the Ferrari teams strategy and Ascari ended up having to queue behind Villoresi, costing him ten seconds. With eight laps to go the tables were turned, and Ascari was suddenly a few tenths quicker than me. But it was not enough, and I won by 4.8 seconds. It was my first win of the season, and I am now right in the thick of it in the Championship Race. I also got a point for the fastest lap.

1950 Championship Standings

Pos. Driver Points

1st Alberto Ascari - 15

2nd Lee Harrison (Me !) - 14

3rd Juan-Manuel Fangio - 12

4th Guiseppe Farina - 12

5th Reg Parnell - 9

6th Luigi Villoresi - 4

7th Prince Bira - 2

8th Louis Chiron - 2

9th Felice Bonetto - 2
Buttonfan
GP2 Starter

Post by Buttonfan »

Round 4 - Spa

Qualifying

In qualifying I was an easy fourth. Three tenths behind Fangio, Farina and Ascari, yet nearly a full second ahead of Parnell in fifth.

Race

In the race I got a great start and coming out of eau Rouge I was alongside Fangio challenging for the lead. However, Fangio ended up forcing me onto the grass coming out of the right-left after Eau Rouge. I had to lift off and I was now third behind Ascari. Me, Fangio and Ascari wer all one-stopping whilst Parnell and Farina were two-stopping. This meant they were the fastest and flying through the field. I rapidly dropped down to fifth. However, Fangio crashed while lapping a backmarker, so now Ascari lead. But, just 6 laps later, Parnell challenged him for the lead. They touched, and Ascari flew into the barrier at La Source, out of the race. Parnell got through ok, but Farina was able to nip through into the lead. On lap 18 Farina pitted, with Parnell joining him a lap later. I pitted for my stop on lap 24. I was ten soconds behind when I rejoined and while I was closing I set fastest lap. With just four laps to go, both Farina and Parnell pitted, so I retook the lead and held it to win from Farina, Parnell, Chiron and de Graffenried, who scored his first points of the season.

Pos. Driver Points

1st Lee Harrison (Me !) - 23

2nd Guiseppe Farina - 18

3rd Alberto Ascari - 15

4th Reg Parnell - 13

5th Juan-Manuel Fangio - 12

6th Louis Chiron - 5

7th Luigi Villoresi - 4

8th Prince Bira - 2

9th Felice Bonetto - 2

10th Emanuel de Graffenried - 2
Buttonfan
GP2 Starter

Post by Buttonfan »

Round 5 - Reims

Qualifying

I was slightly off the pace in fourth, eight tenths slower than Fangio on pole.

Race

In the race I got a great start and was having a look around the outside of Fangio for the lead. Coming out of turn one we were still side by side, but going through right hander I had to lift off. This caused Ascari to get a run on me down to the hairpin, where he out-braked me. The hairpin would prove to be my achilles-heel, later in the race. As Fangio and Ascari edged away I had a good battle with Villoresi, with him out-braking me at the hairpin, and me beating him on accelaration up the hill. On lap 15 we were going through the backmarkers, and actually lapping quicker than Fangio and Ascari. I used the slipstream of the backmarkers to set fastest lap, which would not be beaten. It was going through the backmarkers that Ascari's race ended when he flew over Crossley's left rear because of his great horsepower advantage and the fact that Cossley tried to let him through by moving off-line. Ascari flipped and it was a huge crash. His championship hopes were now gone. Fangio was now leading me and Villoresi by eight seconds. We all pitted on lap 20, except for Farina, whowas lapping over a second slower than Fangio, myself and Villoresi. Farina was clearly on a one-stopper. On lap 30 Villoresi retired with engine failure. And on lap 35, just as I was beginning to catch Fangio, I had brake problems, and had to pit. This put me down in third, behind Farina. Two laps later, Farina was in. I had closed to within five seconds. On lap 45, I pitted, just marginally fending off Farina as came out. As we entered the closing stages, it was clear that this was turning into a race of attrition. Also, there were growing concerns of fuel economy. Everybody would have to make an extra stop. However, I thought I had enough to carry on. Fangio never got to have another pit-stop, as he retired with transmission problems. He was now out of the title race. Farina pitted for more fuel. But I never managed to carry on. I ran out of fuel on the last lap going into the final corner. As I crawled up the straight I saw Farina fly past to win. There were only seven classified finishers in a gruelling race. Bira retired two laps from the end but we were all 3 laps ahead of Rosier in fourth. So he scored his first podium of the season. The championship is now a two-horse race between me and Farina. Im on 30 points while Farina is now on 26 going into the final round at Monza.

Pos. Driver Points

1st Lee Harrison (Me !) - 30

2nd Guiseppe Farina - 26

3rd Alberto Ascari - 15

4th Reg Parnell - 13

5th Juan-Manuel Fangio - 12

6th Prince Bira - 6

7th Louis Chiron - 5

8th Luigi Villoresi - 4

9th Louis Rosier - 3

10th Felice Bonetto - 2

11th Emanuel de Graffenried - 2

12th Geoff Crossley - 2
Edgars Erix
GP2 Gamer

Post by Edgars Erix »

Definitely - not a good season for Fangio.
What tracks have you used for Spa and Reims?
Buttonfan
GP2 Starter

Post by Buttonfan »

Spa - Otavio Silveira and Andreas Schulz

Reims - Reims 66 by Bob Culver

Monza race review up tomorrow. Boring race, but dramatic for the championship.
Last edited by Buttonfan on 02.06.2008, 22:22, edited 1 time in total.
Buttonfan
GP2 Starter

Post by Buttonfan »

Edgars Erix wrote:Definitely - not a good season for Fangio.
Dead right there, to be fair, he was one of the fastest, but unfortunate with mechanical failures and backmarkers.
Buttonfan
GP2 Starter

Post by Buttonfan »

Final Round - Monza

Qualifying

In qualifying I was a lowly fifth, whilst Farina took pole.

Race

In the race I got a good start and squeezed past Parnell and Villoresi to go third. Ascari took the lead from Farina and I also nipped through going into the first Lesmo. At the end of lap 1 it was Ascari, Me, Farina, Fangio, Villoresi and Parnell. As it stood I was champion. However, near the end of lap 2, under pressure from Farina, I got on the grass in the braking zone at Parabolica. It flicked the car sideways and I spun square into the barrier, kncking both my left wheels off. I was out of the race. This was a stupid mistake on my part as I lost concentration looking into my mirrors and ran wide. This let Farina up into second, and he had set fastest lap. Now, as it stood, he was the champion. Then, as Ascari and Farina went through the backmarkers, Farina took the lead. He immediatly began pulling away. Fangio had been closing but spun off, and felll back to 12th. Third place at the end, was a great drive. As the race wore on Ascari had begun to peg Farina back, and they were now in a slipstreaming battle, Ascari taking the lead at one corner, Farina the next. But it was always clear that Farina had just enough straight-line speed to stay ahead. Into the closing stages, and attrition was getting high, as in Reims. Fangio's speed and luck got him up to fourth place, where he battled with Gonzales until Gonzales got a puncture and retired. The race finsihed Farina, Ascari, Fangio, Hampshire and Serafini. Farina won the championship by five points.

1950 Championship Final Standings

Pos. Driver Points

1st Guiseppe Farina - 35

2nd Lee Harrison (Me !) - 30

3rd Alberto Ascari - 21

4th Juan-Manuel Fangio - 18

5th Reg Parnell - 13

6th Prince Bira - 6

7th Louis Chiron - 5

8th Luigi Villoresi - 4

9th Louis Rosier - 3

10th David Hampshire - 3

11th Felice Bonetto - 2

12th Emanuel de Graffenried - 2

13th Geoff Crossley - 2

14th Dorino Serafini - 2

Season Summary

Had I not made silly mistakes, I feel I could have just edged Farina out in the end. However, Farina didn't retire from a single race, so his consistency was the key, as he also finished in the points in every race. Fangio was very unlucky all season, with technical problems and also problems with backmarkers probably not representing his true pace in the points standings. Ferrari started well, winning the opening race. But, as the races wore on, Alfa Romeo began to show their dominance, and the Ferrari's only rarely challenged them seriously. On to 1951 now !
V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

Wow, what a disappointment!! A DNF after two laps in the championship-decider.

But okay, you still had some true hope that Farina could maybe have a problem, but this hope propably got smaller from lap to lap and in the end. Not a good feeling to watch but not beeing able to have any influence... #-o
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
Buttonfan
GP2 Starter

Post by Buttonfan »

V12-Power wrote:Wow, what a disappointment!! A DNF after two laps in the championship-decider.

But okay, you still had some true hope that Farina could maybe have a problem, but this hope propably got smaller from lap to lap and in the end. Not a good feeling to watch but not beeing able to have any influence... #-o
Yeah, but tbh I always thought I had more chance of Farina finishing lower down, but he was easily the fastest in the race. I still find it incredible that Farina didn't have one DNF all season ! But yes it was painful to watch lol !
Edgars Erix
GP2 Gamer

Post by Edgars Erix »

Buttonfan wrote:Yeah, but tbh I always thought I had more chance of Farina finishing lower down, but he was easily the fastest in the race. !
This is not a surprise for me. In my championship history Farina has won 3 out of 4 races at Monza. Only in 1952 he finished 2nd to Ascari, but with a fastest lap time.

PS: By the way - are you counting championship points correctly? Only 4 best scores out of 7 (or 6, if you don't race Indy500) races count towards the championship...