What championship are you doing now?

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: What championship are you doing now?

Post by rremedio »

Yes, I agree, that's very unrealistic, just like the aerodinamical grip problem (the fastest way to drive in gp2 is setting the rear wing to 1), these issues were fixed in GP3.

I drive that way becouse after some time playing GP2 you need to compete against human players to push your limits. And after a long time playing that way you just don't have fun using F7. You feel like you are not controlling the car in the corners.

About a hotlap using default setups, it would be pretty unfair. I always share setups with a friend in the leagues, we're both fast drivers and normally equally fast, but if I use his setups, I'm always slower than him, and if he uses mine, I'm always faster. Becouse some setups are good for a driving style and not good for another. So a default setup would be good for some drivers and not good for others. And nobody is really fast if he don't know how to setup the car.

That's why I think GP3 (and mainly GP3 2000) is so better than GP2. It's as easy to edit and patch than GP2 and has better physics. I don't move from GP2 just becouse of the nice community (this community and the brazilian community).

Regards!
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

Guys, I am running F1 season 1970 and it's going pretty good.
Driving for Surtees with:
1 - Kyalami - spun out - oops! - while running 6th! (qualified 17th)
2 - Jarama - Engine failure while running 11th (qualified 21st)
3 - monaco - WON! - qaulified on pole too
4 - Spa - finished 4th - qualified 11th (only gained extra 2 positions on last lap due to retirements ahead...
Off to Zandvort now...
"There's nothing wrong with the car in front except that it's on fire!!!!!!!!!!!"
Murray Walker
Belatti
GP2 Starter

Post by Belatti »

rremedio wrote:...
About a hotlap using default setups, it would be pretty unfair. I always share setups with a friend in the leagues, we're both fast drivers and normally equally fast, but if I use his setups, I'm always slower than him, and if he uses mine, I'm always faster. Becouse some setups are good for a driving style and not good for another. So a default setup would be good for some drivers and not good for others. And nobody is really fast if he don't know how to setup the car.

That's why I think GP3 (and mainly GP3 2000) is so better than GP2. It's as easy to edit and patch than GP2 and has better physics. I don't move from GP2 just becouse of the nice community (this community and the brazilian community).

Regards!
I was thinking more about a very very "default" setup, lets say both wings at 10, 6th ratio acording to topspeed and then scaled down: like 60,56,48,42,35,28 and suspension 5front/3rear with spring rates according to that, no packers and std ride height.

Regarding GP3, when I first installed and race I sucked (used to setup car like in GP2 :lol: ) Oversteering was HUGE!!! Then I corrected wings but still sucked when pushing hard to get to limits, car behaviour was weird, understeer somewhere and oversteer elsewhere in the same track, then I discovered that packers where too much and suspension reached them in the middle of the curves, stiffness grew and you where off the track.
In GP2 you can use all packers and theres no very big difference (some exceptions of course)

Basically now I´m running a GP3 original1998 season with Jaqcues (not that weird Newhouse) with 10% race distance just to get to know the tracks, done very very bad initially but now Mika and David are watching how my rear wing goes away everywhere \:D/
tmc
GP2 Starter

Post by tmc »

i did two more races, here the times, if somebody wants to beat them:

Monza + Oval (http://grandprix2.de/Strecke2/Italy/Monza%20(+oval).zip)
22 laps in
37"11.222
FL: 1"46.577
Finished 1st

Zandvoort 1967 (http://grandprix2.de/Strecke2/Netherlan ... 2000mk.zip)
36 laps in
40"13.015
FL: 1"04.976
Finished 5th

always using 76cset45 and driving Keyboard + F7.

For the championship I'm 10 points behind Lauda with 3 races left. Its gonna be tricky.
Gabriele
GP2 Starter

Post by Gabriele »

I just started the 1951 season, with some slight changes in the wonderful carset by Edgars "Erix" that you find on http://grandprix2.de/Carsets/csF1/1950/CS1951_erix.zip.

I did those changes in order to match the first race, in Switzerland, according to http://www.statsf1.com which is my principal source of information.

The first race went pretty well, driving as Alberto Ascari, as I achieved a third place with Ferrari. Fangio spun out, and I overtook de Graffenried on the last lap so it was really the best I could do. But the Alfa Romeo are waaaay too quick for anyone that year...
"When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough."
Ayrton Senna Da Silva

Currently working on MotoGP 500 season 1991 (converted to Gp2)
MotoGP 500 season 1990 done.
Edgars Erix
GP2 Gamer

Post by Edgars Erix »

Gabriele wrote:I just started the 1951 season, with some slight changes in the wonderful carset by Edgars "Erix" that you find on http://grandprix2.de/Carsets/csF1/1950/CS1951_erix.zip.

I did those changes in order to match the first race, in Switzerland, according to http://www.statsf1.com which is my principal source of information.

The first race went pretty well, driving as Alberto Ascari, as I achieved a third place with Ferrari. Fangio spun out, and I overtook de Graffenried on the last lap so it was really the best I could do. But the Alfa Romeo are waaaay too quick for anyone that year...
Great to see that you like it! :)
I was driving the Enrico Plate's Maserati that season and was having quite hard times out there. Nevertheless I won at Pedralbes and Reims where I passed Fangio just few metres before the finish line (see the attachment), and finished the season in 3rd position.
But with Ferrari it should be easyer. Also because the reliability issues...
Attachments
1951_Reims_finish.JPG
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

Amazing result; the next few drivers are multiple laps behind after all. :shock:
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
Gabriele
GP2 Starter

Post by Gabriele »

Edgars Erix wrote:
Gabriele wrote:I just started the 1951 season, with some slight changes in the wonderful carset by Edgars "Erix" that you find on http://grandprix2.de/Carsets/csF1/1950/CS1951_erix.zip.

Great to see that you like it! :)
I was driving the Enrico Plate's Maserati that season and was having quite hard times out there. Nevertheless I won at Pedralbes and Reims where I passed Fangio just few metres before the finish line (see the attachment), and finished the season in 3rd position.
But with Ferrari it should be easyer. Also because the reliability issues...
Yes, your carsets are simply amazing =D> !
I just modify them a little bit to suit my personal feelings, and the real data found on the web. I made an excel file, that allows me to put as data the driver's names, the car BHP, and the real qualification times, and this gives me the grip range depending on these two factors.
That means: the Alfas had 425 BHP in 1951, whereas the Ferraris just 385, etc. The poleman has always a grip range equal to 17000... and my excel sheet does the rest.
In this case the Maseratis, with more or less 250-270 BHP, were 15-20 seconds each lap slower than Fangio, usual polesitter. In Ace level, with a good setup, I believe it would be very very very difficult to obtain a final position better than 5th...

(BTW I'm not a good setup-maker, so with my Ferrari I'm just able to enter at the podium zone but not always, and winning is still a dream. Just as it was... in fact José-Froilan Gonzales will win the first race for Ferrari only in Silverstone.)
"When you are fitted in a racing car and you race to win, second or third place is not enough."
Ayrton Senna Da Silva

Edgars Erix
GP2 Gamer

Post by Edgars Erix »

AD wrote:Amazing result; the next few drivers are multiple laps behind after all. :shock:
Reliability issues, you know?
:D
Edgars Erix
GP2 Gamer

Post by Edgars Erix »

Gabriele wrote: Yes, your carsets are simply amazing =D> !
I just modify them a little bit to suit my personal feelings, and the real data found on the web. I made an excel file, that allows me to put as data the driver's names, the car BHP, and the real qualification times, and this gives me the grip range depending on these two factors.
That means: the Alfas had 425 BHP in 1951, whereas the Ferraris just 385, etc. The poleman has always a grip range equal to 17000... and my excel sheet does the rest.
In this case the Maseratis, with more or less 250-270 BHP, were 15-20 seconds each lap slower than Fangio, usual polesitter. In Ace level, with a good setup, I believe it would be very very very difficult to obtain a final position better than 5th...
I'm using excel calculations too, but it is not that simple I think. Don't forget that in those days not only BHP's were different, but also the cars' weight... And it used to happen that lighter cars with less horse power were faster than some more powerful and more heavy ones... But there is only one weight possibility for all cars in the carset. But the numbers were really different. So, what to do? I have tried out various methods how to combine BHP and drivers performance to get a satisfactory result.
The BHP value ir responsible for cars speed on straights, but drivers performance - in the corners. I'm allways testing my carsets on 50ies tracks, what means - long straights, high-speed turns and some seldom slow corners. It means that the BHP value is affecting the overall cars performance more than drivers performance value. So you have to be carefull with it.
Gabriele
GP2 Starter

Post by Gabriele »

Edgars Erix wrote:
Gabriele wrote: Yes, your carsets are simply amazing =D> !
I'm using excel calculations too, but it is not that simple I think. Don't forget that in those days not only BHP's were different, but also the cars' weight... And it used to happen that lighter cars with less horse power were faster than some more powerful and more heavy ones... But there is only one weight possibility for all cars in the carset. But the numbers were really different. So, what to do? I have tried out various methods how to combine BHP and drivers performance to get a satisfactory result.
The BHP value ir responsible for cars speed on straights, but drivers performance - in the corners. I'm allways testing my carsets on 50ies tracks, what means - long straights, high-speed turns and some seldom slow corners. It means that the BHP value is affecting the overall cars performance more than drivers performance value. So you have to be carefull with it.
You're right. As Gp2 does not handle different car weights, I decided to "forget" about this :wink: .
But let me "brainstorm" for a while. :-k
1. Lower weight means better handling on corners, later braking, better acceleration. Maybe top speed is not involved too much. That means that a sort of "bonus" for low weight cars should be put on grip range, rather than on BHP. But this leaves unaffected top speeds, meaning that on circuits like Bremgarten, Spa, Monza, Ain Diab, Reims... we'll end up with 425HP-powered Alfas lapping 10 times the poor Gordinis with just 195HP.
2. On the other side, if we put a sort of "weight bonus" on HP, and we want to keep the right gaps between the drivers, the lighter (but slower) cars will handle like trucks in slow-mid corners.
Maybe for 50's carsets the no.2 could be a workaround, but it's way too far from defining a sort of standard on these calculations.

More brainstorming? :mrgreen:
Ayrton Senna Da Silva

V12-Power
GP2 Star

Post by V12-Power »

I think the center of these thoughts should be the player. He has to feel the correct differences between the cars (when he drives them). And the only way this can be done is to adjust the bhp of the cars the way, that they mirror their average performance (a mix from engine, gearbox, weigt, suspension etc.). You can also adjust some other things for the player of course, but these won't have any effect on the differences when you choose different cars.

After this is adjusted correctly, the computer-drivers can get their grip.

So my idea of doing that, goes also in Erix direction.
Visit my website: FK's sportscar project
Edgars Erix
GP2 Gamer

Post by Edgars Erix »

I'm not using historically correct BHP values for all teams anymore. Actually I'm using the correct BHP only for the fastest team or car. And other cars are getting lower BGP's accordingly the average gap of both drivers of a certain team. It's quite tricky and needs lots of testing to get the right result. For this reason I have different BHP's for different teams even they are using the same car.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Edgars Erix wrote:I'm not using historically correct BHP values for all teams anymore. Actually I'm using the correct BHP only for the fastest team or car. And other cars are getting lower BGP's accordingly the average gap of both drivers of a certain team. It's quite tricky and needs lots of testing to get the right result. For this reason I have different BHP's for different teams even they are using the same car.
I think that's the right way to do with older (50ies and 60ies) seasons.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Buttonfan
GP2 Starter

Post by Buttonfan »

Im just starting Edgars 1950 season but im a little stuck on what to do about the tracks. In the 1950 season there were 7 rounds (6 taking away the indy 500), but in GP2 there have to be 16 rounds. I'd just like to know what you other guys have done to get a solution out of this.
Thanks