What championship are you doing now?

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Re: What championship are you doing now?

Post by MaxD »

one more thing did you start at the back no qualifying slot???
"There's nothing wrong with the car in front except that it's on fire!!!!!!!!!!!"
Murray Walker
tmc
GP2 Starter

Post by tmc »

Oh no, I did a normal quali session. i think I started 3th or 4th, i forgot. :-"
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

oh ok
:D
"There's nothing wrong with the car in front except that it's on fire!!!!!!!!!!!"
Murray Walker
tmc
GP2 Starter

Post by tmc »

Of course, i took the traction control (and autoshift) as aid not the suggestion gear. I think its nearly impossible to drive without tc by keys, not?
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

I always drive without TC on,
find it slows me down if F7 is on
Murray Walker
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

After finishing a small Excel tool for career simulation I started my career in year 2000 for Simtek (150 bhp less than Mclaren, grip value set to 200, Ace level 6 and my unchanged carsetups for cars with 780 bhp should make things realisitc). I use the original 1994er tracks by microprose at 50% race distance and the next round (the third) is Imola.

My debut was not that amazeing, 2 problems in qualifieng session (electrical & engine) with 24th grid position and electrical problems again forced me to give the race up. To be honest, I was glad that this one was over, I like Interlagos, but after a spin while fighting Gene for 18th position, I was 10 seconds behind my teammate and we drove equal lap times. I was on the best way to finish last....

2nd race was much better, I started 17th and was the 3rd fastest driver for most of the time allthoug most of the top drivers had less fuel than me on board. The nonstop strategy gave me my first lap as leader and finally I managed to win the battle against Michael Schumacher for 2nd place behind Hakkinen.
tmc
GP2 Starter

Post by tmc »

MaxD wrote:I always drive without TC on,
find it slows me down if F7 is on
You drive by keys and without TC? You must be an alien or something like that. How do you manage to get a lap in monaco or jarama without spinning in the hairpins? I tried, but it never works. But of course, its more fun sliding in some corners off the curbs. :D

@belatti

i watched your hotlaps, eg monaco. Very impressing how youre shifting. im not able to do that, i need a third hand. =D>
AD
GP2 Acc

Post by AD »

I think it's actually quite possible to be as fast or even faster without TC, just like in real F1, it's a lot more difficult to get used to it. I did a testing session in GP4 some time ago, on the new Barcelona track (w/ the chicane), and by the end of that, I was getting the same laptimes as with TC before. So it's possible. Of course Monaco should be a whacky trip like that. :)
1996 .. 2017 .. 21 years and counting ..
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

TMC,

It is difficult but I guess I just have fast fingers!
When coming out of a corner, I just immitate feathering the throttle to start with, then give it a little longer, then full whack. That way, when it comes to applying 100% throttle, the car just takes off, no wheel spin.

I seem to be able to do it with any carset I have tried so far...
Murray Walker
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

Just remembered,

when driving at Monaco, I tend to set 1st gear quite high with 2nd and third quite close together so I don't loose too much time but it's bloody hard!
I also tend to set the car up with more oversteer to aid faster entry
Murray Walker
Belatti
GP2 Starter

Post by Belatti »

MaxD wrote:TMC,

It is difficult but I guess I just have fast fingers!
When coming out of a corner, I just immitate feathering the throttle to start with, then give it a little longer, then full whack. That way, when it comes to applying 100% throttle, the car just takes off, no wheel spin.

I seem to be able to do it with any carset I have tried so far...
That is good for a hotlap, with qualy grippy new tires, but try to race a 100% race distance in that condition...
For example, hungaroring has "D" tires compound, even pitting 3 times, after 15 laps your rears will be worn out and overcoming spinning in hairpins is almost impossible. Laptimes rise dramatically.

I like to drive 100% distances (its the strategical side of the game, if not seems very "arcadey") so F7+keyboard is not an option for me :wink:
MaxD
GP2 Starter

Post by MaxD »

Belatti,
with having 3 kids, I don't get time to do 100% race distance!
But Hungoraring is my favourite GP2 track - it's just like a kart track!
Murray Walker
Belatti
GP2 Starter

Post by Belatti »

MaxD wrote:Belatti,
with having 3 kids, I don't get time to do 100% race distance!
But Hungoraring is my favourite GP2 track - it's just like a kart track!
I understand you man!
I have no kids, but posted early that have the same problem, every time I sit I can only do 10 or 12 laps and something gets me out of the PC. That together with Uni, Work and friends makes it impossible to run 100%. I could do a championship in 1 1/2 year. :shock:

Appart from that, I takes me 4 or 5 laps to aclimatize to the game (doing fast laps) if more than a week passed since my last run. So, basically, each time I save and leave, I know the next 4 or 5 laps wont be as fast as they could be. #-o

PD: I like Hungaroring, its one of those tracks where you perform bad at the beggining and when you discover the "alternative cc line" that improves your time a lot, till the point it becames an easy track.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I love 100% races! And I drive with keyboard without F7. Sadly I didn't drive a race for months. Only hotlaps for a while... :(
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Belatti
GP2 Starter

Post by Belatti »

rremedio wrote:I love 100% races! And I drive with keyboard without F7. Sadly I didn't drive a race for months. Only hotlaps for a while... :(
I refuse to use 40+ 1st gear ratios... I like the game because in its times was realistic, and using that ratio is not. Hate the sound of the car with such low rpm and the smoothless way to drive it.

I say: Steering wheel without F7 or Keyboard with F7... but thats just my opinion :wink:

Also would like to see a hotlap competition with a standard car setup :-k