Help with adding tracks

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
FishGaming
GP2 Newbie

Help with adding tracks

Post by FishGaming »

I have found online through this forum how to add a custom track. I add the track to gamejames, then I back up one of the circuits in the game and replace it with the dat file from the custom track. Issue is there is no change in the BMP file. I have attempted to use the track editor mod where I can load the track, include the underlying bmp image but when I attempt to import the file to tracks the track list cannot be found, the application errors, and then crashes. Any help on how to get the custom track's name/picture to change on your track list?

I would also like to add I have attempted to use the GetHiPic program and winPro utilities and they will not work on windows 10 64 bit os. The batch files fail.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: Help with adding tracks

Post by rremedio »

Get the names working you just need to start GP2 via GP2Lap and it will recognize the correct track names.

To get the menu pictures changed you will need to GetHiPic and related utilities. I don't know how to do it but someone else here should be able to help you.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

I've always thought that worrying about the bitmap menu pictures was silly. I use an option where it provides a menu picture from the crude track shape itself. I think it would be more useful and practical to just have the bitmap show the active slot number instead of a bitmap of the track.
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Yes, the menupics for the tracks are a different story, true. It is no showstopper, but it rounds up the experience. I have made a collection for this cause, currently WIP (since years now lol) so no release for the trackmaps planned in near future.

The Windows-based patching tools don`t work for me any more (still using a virtual Windows XP when playinng GP2). But what does work is the console based tool by Guido van de Water (Gp2 Import/Export menu pictures on -> https://grandprix2.de/Util/util.htm).

Important is that the path of GP2 is not too long, so I just created a pretty short one and put only the F1PCSVGA.bin there. Then I include all pictures with correct number for the pics into it and execute the exe. Afterwards the bin-file can be copied and also repatched for menupics using GP2Edit.

Not sure, if that tool works in current Windows-Version, Windows XP and prior still work best for this. Hope that helps
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

I run both indycar racing 2 and gp2 with dosbox ece in a windows 7 environment. The track adding experience is different for both.

Just to tell you how ICR2 is different, it has a "tracks" directory where you can add a different directory for every track you want to add. However the game only allows 28 tracks as a max, so you need to store your unused tracks in a different folder. Also not a problem but just like GP2, neither experience is perfect.

I almost need to print a small piece of paper and put the track names and numbers for gp2 along side because I never seem to memorize them all!
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

Yes, ICR2 was truly a gem. I loved the convert Indy500 tracks from ICR to use it in ICR2 and NCR2 :mrgreen:

Intresting, that it where exactly 28 tracks as limit. I don`t remember it exactly, there was a tracks.txt, but without folders and it got confused :-k never have installed more tracks though, so I didn`t experience that :)
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

MaxX wrote:
11.05.2022, 13:56
Yes, ICR2 was truly a gem. I loved the convert Indy500 tracks from ICR to use it in ICR2 and NCR2 :mrgreen:

Intresting, that it where exactly 28 tracks as limit. I don`t remember it exactly, there was a tracks.txt, but without folders and it got confused :-k never have installed more tracks though, so I didn`t experience that :)
Well now I am learning how to make my own icr2 tracks!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3yxTeurzeU8

I have been working on a Denver 1991 track for 6 months now!

https://www.icr2.net/forum/showthread.php?tid=1423

I completed 2 of them, but street-circuits like Denver have a ton of objects and they are very difficult. GP2 has so many tracks available compared to ICR2, but there are still a few of the older real CART tracks that need to be completed so a very few of us who still play the game are trying to make this new content. I hope to be able to make GP2 tracks some day, as it seems there aren't many who do it anymore.