Technical failures in original carset

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
volcom87
GP2 Newbie

Technical failures in original carset

Post by volcom87 »

What do you think about reliability levels in the original carset? I feel that compared to real 1994 season, cars are little bit too reliable?
ismael
GP2 Racer

Re: Technical failures in original carset

Post by ismael »

Yes, I suppose so.

I believe there are more technical retirements in longer races; it's like the cars have less "time to fail" in shorter ones, like 10%, in spite of the same Car Failure Probability. But I'd have to check the 1994 season technical failures with the data from the 3 100% Race Distance seasons I accomplished during the nineties to get a real picture, based on accurate statistics. This is just my feeling from what I recall of those three GP2 seasons. In the same way, I think more drivers scored points in the real 1994 season than usually did in the GP2 100% Race Distance seasons, precisely because there weren't so many retirements.

Now you're reminding me of a thing: I was recently watching snooker on Eurosport, the Open of Northern Ireland, in a final between Higgins and Allen, and they mentioned that the Northern Irish are renowned for their snooker abilities. Maybe that's what the Northern Irish Eddie Irvine was thinking in the 1994 Brazilian GP: to do a snooker play. A four-way retirement is rare in GP2 (even if, in defense of Irvine, one of the others was suffering a technical failure and was going to retire anyway).

Eventually one could try to increase the Car Failure Probabilities and see what would happen.
MaxX
GP2 Star

Post by MaxX »

I also recognized that. In short races (25%) there are very few reliability problems and with 100% there are quite many. When I made a fictional carset the first time and wanted some "action" I went for higher failure rates and the 100% championship had much more DNFs due to car failures then expected or shown in GP2Edit estimate.

Tim (TdK) has found out, that the reliability values are very close to real mechanical failures in 1994. For one failure in 16 races per car you get the value 512. So in the end with 100% it gets somehow close to real 1994, but in shorter races there are to few DNFs that`s true.
volcom87
GP2 Newbie

Post by volcom87 »

Thank you for your answers and information.

Yeah, I am in round 16 in championship right now and I have driven 50 % races. For example neither Benetton have had technical DNFs and even Ferrari drivers have only had 1 or 2 technical DNFs. :D

I am planning to do new season with 75 % race length, maybe I will edit values little bit higher before that.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

I race all my races at 100% length, ever since back in 1996 when the game came out I have always done it that way. I try and keep more of the cars on the track (so there are more opponents). I think I have all of the cars set at 4000 value for reliability in gp2edit. Some cars fall out, but not too many that the track gets too barren.

I like driving around other cars because it gets more exciting. I find I stay more focused so I do better since my attention is better. I only slip up and go off the track when my mind wanders a little bit when I am playing this game.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

samsepi0l wrote:
20.10.2021, 17:06
find I stay more focused so I do better since my attention is better. I only slip up and go off the track when my mind wanders a little bit when I am playing this game.

True. It may happen to everyone, including the very best.

DannyDarwen
GP2 Newbie

Post by DannyDarwen »

I race with higher failure settings in an attempt to create more DNFs like the 1994 season. I've noticed that many drivers will pick up certain failures during the race and still make it to the pits before heading back out. A loose wheel or transmission failure can often be recoverable for the other drivers during a race. *I just had 14 DNFs in a full race at Monza (including myself), so quite accurate! I'd prefer more crashes though :-k