Donington Park National

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Donington Park National

Post by ismael »

I tried the Donington Park National track by RRemedio over the original John Edwards full track on slot 6. I tried with my customised version of 2020 carset. It might be a good fit for a Sakhir-like race.
However, only 3 cars finished (Hulkenberg won in a Manor-Mercedes). 20 cars crashed at the pit entrance.
Does anyone know a slot where this track could work?
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Re: Donington Park National

Post by samsepi0l »

There is no such thing as a "good slot" when you can tweak the magic data thanks to our buddy RRemedio. Tweaking the magic data lets you make any slot perform like any other. If the author of the track didn't specify a slot just try different one until you get something that works. Trust me, you will want to mess with the magic data on all homebrew tracks. I haven't gotten one yet that I haven't been able to work. Sorry I never tried your donnington, only the 1993 version that they really drove on. (Senna's best race IMO)
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

That's a tricky one because of the pit in/out positions. I used pit in distance = 10 and pit exit distance = 0 for my F3 race. No slot has an original configuration like that. I would try slots 5, 8 and 11 but I'm not sure if any of them would work. The best solution would be indeed editing a slot according to the track. You can check the original slot values in that nice table made by AAS http://grandprix2.de/Util/Magic/GP2_Magic_Data.htm
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

rremedio wrote:
31.12.2020, 13:21
(...) I used pit in distance = 10 and pit exit distance = 0 for my F3 race. (...)
Perfect and easy to do with the Slot and Tyre editor. It works perfectly. Thanks!

(These old tracks where the pit lane exit gets exactly in the racing line, like Donington, Jerez and Adelaide, had really to go or get revamped. As a teen, racing in Jerez, after doing the 1st pit stop, I forgot to check with "down arrow" if someone was coming in the main straight. Checking the mirror in these tracks is not enough. Alesi crashed on me, we were both out and my championship odds became slimmer, with just 2 races to go...)
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

I had a funny experience like that yesterday. I was racing at Zandvoort Netherlands in 1985. I was going down the main straight as I moved to the right to pass one of the Ferraris. As I moved off line near the pit exit (toward the pit exit) the OTHER Ferrari was coming out of the pit. I almost made it 3 wide but I rear-ended him and we both spun out.