Speed of game

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Mulletes
GP2 Newbie

Speed of game

Post by Mulletes »

Hi Guys now that I have got it up and running, any ideas or clues on how i can config for better speed. I have full screen and my kids turtles can go faster around the corners. lol any guidence would be great. Cheers :thinking:
MaxX
GP2 Star

Re: Speed of game

Post by MaxX »

I got the problem as well, it seems to be in conjuntion with Win10 64 bit.

GP2 still works best in virtual or native windows XP IMO. In Win10 GP2.Exe works quite good, GP2LAP.EXE only with low vga-mode. I use the settings posted in your other thread, I fiddled around with CPU and graphics and managed to improve it. Yes it is quite a challenge to get things working perfectly, but in the end the efforts are worth it :)
Mulletes
GP2 Newbie

Post by Mulletes »

cheers Maxx
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

During my first two years of adulthood playing GP2 I tried several stuff to solve the problem but I ended up quitting. I thought that the problem was caused by D-Fend Reloaded and I tested all the options: CPU, memory, graphics... I tried using DosBOS directly, without D-Fend Reloaded, but the graphics issue continued.
I concluded, after reading something somewhere, that the problem lies on my machine not being powerful enough because the emulation mimics the computer but does not get all its capabilities. Makes sense because if I happen to have a Chrome tab open simultaneously with GP2, the game runs even slower. For now, I'm playing in VGA (and no textures in mirrors, aside cars and smoke! And sometimes I even remove bank and hills to ensure 91% processor ocupation all the time) which is, after all, how I played in the 90's. When I upgrade the PC I'll think about it again...
Last edited by ismael on 09.05.2020, 13:01, edited 3 times in total.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Oddly enough, if your PC is not fast enough for running GP2 with DOSBox (it sounds silly but for some reason, modern Windows seems to struggle with it), your best bet is to run Virtual PC with some old Windows version (probably 98).

The version of DOSBox as well as the Output, Machine and CPU DOSBox configurations also matter a lot. Never use the _x64 version of DOSBox with GP2, even if you are running 64bit Windows.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

32 bit dosbox ece is the best choice
Mulletes
GP2 Newbie

Post by Mulletes »

Thanks Guys Vga it is by the looks of things. =D>
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

Post by roland ratzenberger »

hey guys .. first of all i agree that dosbox ece it is the best choice.. i also have good opinion about daum but i dont want to open this subject here. to my mind i think the perfect set up is to run at svga graphics but reduse the track details ( you can done it by alt+d) or be take away things like clouds in the sky hills etc.. up to now by doing this, in older pcs, i didnt have such problem in the corners as you mention and i also use svga. in newest pc i have manage to run the game in svga with all details except the sky. i have notice that sky makes a huge impact in the game speed.
Mulletes
GP2 Newbie

Post by Mulletes »

legend Roland will give it a go. Thanks Mate :D
DaSilva82
GP2 Starter

Post by DaSilva82 »

I agree with Roland in terms of the track details.
My old laptop was around 10 years old but I played GP2 in SVGA and all details on except for "sky". I also turned off some details in the "mirror"section. That really makes a difference.
I now have a new laptop (Acer Nitro 5) and I still play with the same settings as on my old laptop, but the game runs a bit better on tracks wich are very detailed, like Singapore.
I play GP2 in Dosbox through D-fend and in the attachments you can see some of the settings I use. I have tried Dosbox ECE and it really solves the laptime bug and the game doesn't slow down anymore when driving on high detailed tracks.
The problem is that when using ECE, the game loses sense of speed, it doesn't feel spectacular anymore in my opinion. I tried to solve this by adjusting the "cockpit zoom" value in the dosbox.cfg file, but I went back to the normal Dosbox. It goes somewhat slower in some corners in high detailed tracks, but the sense of speed is better overall with my settings.
You should also check the FPS in the graphic detail level section of GP2. Don't put it to high, it wil slow the game down.
Just give it a go, but rremedio is right. If your laptop is to slow, it hardly possible to have a smooth drive with details on, unless you use a Virtual PC.
Good Luck!
Attachments
Schermopname (5).png
Schermopname (2).png
Schermopname (1).png
The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

DaSilva82 wrote:
10.05.2020, 14:22
I play GP2 in Dosbox through D-fend and in the attachments you can see some of the settings I use.
Sorry if I misunderstood, but here's my two cents, regardless of DosBOX ECE being better (which I think it is): I always play at 21.3 frame rate, I think it's the perfect one. Isn't 18.2 too slow?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

ismael wrote:
10.05.2020, 15:19
DaSilva82 wrote:
10.05.2020, 14:22
I play GP2 in Dosbox through D-fend and in the attachments you can see some of the settings I use.
Sorry if I misunderstood, but here's my two cents, regardless of DosBOX ECE being better (which I think it is): I always play at 21.3 frame rate, I think it's the perfect one. Isn't 18.2 too slow?
Reducing the frame rate makes the game run faster, but it also makes it lose detail and smoothness.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
DaSilva82
GP2 Starter

Post by DaSilva82 »

21.3 FPS maybe works for me. Have to check it out. But in the end, everybody's got it's own favorite flavour. :wink:
The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose.
Mulletes
GP2 Newbie

Post by Mulletes »

Thanks guys great feedback. Yes taking sky out did help big time and was much more playable. Will try no side mirrors and frame rate. This should help also. Now its starting to be playable with high detail. Thanks dasilva for detailed response. Cheers Everyone =D> =D>
Manselltash
GP2 Newbie

Post by Manselltash »

Should you mess with the frame rate setting in-game or tweak the cycles instead in Dosbox?

I never touched the frame rate in-game and on Windows 10 runs perfect on ECE.
I'm sure I remember (also GP3) messing with the frame rate in-game and it messes things up to a point where I could never get it settled anymore. So now (unless I have to) I leave well alone.