What technical problems causes AI to retire?

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Laahustaja
GP2 Newbie

What technical problems causes AI to retire?

Post by Laahustaja »

Hi All,

I have been running 100% races on Ace and noticed that sometimes AI does not retire when they get a technical problem - instead they pit and fix the problem. Not really an issue, since player can do the same. However, sometimes AI either does not go to pits or does not make it and retires.

I was wondering if there are some technical issues to which AI is going to retire 100% of the time? This way I would be able to replicate this behavior when driving. Or is is just plain and simple that the AI always tries to struggle to pits, but sometimes just does not make it.

To give a bit of context, I am driving at Ferrari in vanilla 94 and of course the technical problems are a constant pain. I was able to win in Brazil but suffered a throttle failure at Aida and I was not able to keep the car on the track and decided to retire. Now at San Marino I was leading comfortably (25 secs) with 6 laps to go... But then suffered a suspension failure at Villeneuve corner. However, this time I decided to struggle to the pits and was 4th eventually.

I guess that as a player I have higher chances of being able to struggle with a broken vehicle to the pits, but I do not want to give myself a unfair advantage in a tight championship and thus decided to ask for help here.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Re: What technical problems causes AI to retire?

Post by samsepi0l »

I haven't paid that close attention to this but I suggest looking at the next car you see on fire when they are racing. I think they always retire when they start on fire when on the track.

FYI You can adjust the reliability numbers in gp2 edit.

When the player has a problem, it kind of "handicaps" you for a little bit, and eventually if you keep driving it will sometimes just permanently disable the engine. I had this happen in my 1993 season when I broke down in Monaco.

If the problem starts early in a lap I almost never have enough to make it back to the pits.
minardi
GP2 Starter

Post by minardi »

I believe the AI will pit if they have an electrical, brake or throttle problem or if they have a puncture as long as they make it back to the pits which they usually do. Other than that they will retire unless the failure happened to occur on a lap they were scheduled to pit for fuel in which case it will be fixed if they can make it back to the pits
Laahustaja
GP2 Newbie

Post by Laahustaja »

samsepi0l wrote:
09.02.2020, 18:55
I haven't paid that close attention to this but I suggest looking at the next car you see on fire when they are racing. I think they always retire when they start on fire when on the track.
I think that I have seen examples of AI going to pits and repairing smoking engine - on the other hand it was not in full fire in those cases. I think though that it might have also been a coincidentally scheduled pit stop and that is why engine was repaired. Minardis message brings a lot of sense into this.
samsepi0l wrote:
09.02.2020, 18:55
FYI You can adjust the reliability numbers in gp2 edit.

When the player has a problem, it kind of "handicaps" you for a little bit, and eventually if you keep driving it will sometimes just permanently disable the engine. I had this happen in my 1993 season when I broke down in Monaco.

If the problem starts early in a lap I almost never have enough to make it back to the pits.
Actually, player retirements are my favorite feature in GP2. Especially the race today at Imola, really frustrating getting a technical issue when so close to the goal, but that is just the realism I love in this game. I believe Mika Häkkinen once said that technical issues while you are leading the race are frustrating but at least you know that you had the speed to win the race. It just is part of the sport.

BTW samsepi0l, are you running 1993 season with refueling on? I have been considering running some pre 94 season at some point but I was unsure if there is a way to disable refueling.
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

BTW samsepi0l, are you running 1993 season with refueling on? I have been considering running some pre 94 season at some point but I was unsure if there is a way to disable refueling.
Yes- I use refueling. The only reason I change carset years is so I get to learn the different drivers and cars and also paint schemes and colors.

I was most into f1 around 97 and 98 so I tend to stick to making the game work like it would during these years.

When I race at a track I also watch the same race in "real life" after I play it in gp2.

I downloaded a torrent of every f1 race video from about 1984 to 2000, so I have a hard drive full of video. I randomly selected 1993 and I am watching the races as I play them in gp2.

This makes me intimately familiar with the tracks so I "know" where the cars are on TV. Nothing is cooler than seeing the cars on a video and having a real feeling of where that part of the track is, and exactly what is coming up and what to expect.

I just finished 1993 in gp2 Hungary the other day, and I watched Damon Hill really win it on video this morning. It was his first win ever. It was funny listening to Murray Walker and Jonathan Palmer say "it will be the first of many wins for this future champion". Little did they know he would be champion in 1996- just 3 years later.
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

samsepi0l wrote:
09.02.2020, 23:08
Yes- I use refueling. The only reason I change carset years is so I get to learn the different drivers and cars and also paint schemes and colors.

I was most into f1 around 97 and 98 so I tend to stick to making the game work like it would during these years.

When I race at a track I also watch the same race in "real life" after I play it in gp2.

I downloaded a torrent of every f1 race video from about 1984 to 2000, so I have a hard drive full of video. I randomly selected 1993 and I am watching the races as I play them in gp2.

This makes me intimately familiar with the tracks so I "know" where the cars are on TV. Nothing is cooler than seeing the cars on a video and having a real feeling of where that part of the track is, and exactly what is coming up and what to expect.

I just finished 1993 in gp2 Hungary the other day, and I watched Damon Hill really win it on video this morning. It was his first win ever. It was funny listening to Murray Walker and Jonathan Palmer say "it will be the first of many wins for this future champion". Little did they know he would be champion in 1996- just 3 years later.
Ah, 1993 and those beautiful cars. My favourites of all time (the cars...the season wasn't the most exciting, but that's ok).
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!