GP2 Mods

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
Mickeyg
GP2 Newbie

GP2 Mods

Post by Mickeyg »

Hi all.

I'm thinking of adding some other F1 years to my GP2 install on dosbox. Could someone give me a quick synopsis on how to do it.

My immediate understanding is first to copy my present Gp2 folder and rename it to whatever year I intend to have. So something like Gp295. Then make sure my Dosbox is pointing to the exe in that new folder.

Then install a carsett to that folder with Gp2 edit. Question is I use Gp2 edit for the standard Gp2 game. So do I use that same edit programme, just make a new profile (with new carsets) and make sure the new profile points towards again the new exe in the new folder?

Also what about tracks for each year. Do I install them into the new folder manually, or can you do it with Gp2 edit?

Thanks all 😁👍
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

Re: GP2 Mods

Post by roland ratzenberger »

as far as i am concerned yes you make a new gp2 folder( for example gp22019) and via gp2 editor you patch the game with the new carset.. and then just copy paste the gp2 exe to the dos box shortcut. this is my way to run the game, not only the original game but also the mods that i have create

each trach has its own read me file ... read it properly.. to JUST install the tracks you dont need any other program.. but to make the tracks work properly you need gp2 slot and tyre editor
Mickeyg
GP2 Newbie

Post by Mickeyg »

Thank you Roland for the info. Much appreciated 👍
I can see a link (Google search) on the tyre slot programme.

I remember reading on a faq about been careful of what track goes into what slot and that you can upset those track slots, if you put in the wrong slot.

Cheers again 😁
DaSilva82
GP2 Starter

Post by DaSilva82 »

Hi Mickeyg,

when you've downloaded a track, there's always a gp2form file, like Roland mentioned, with information about the track. Like the best slot to put it into. But that doesn't mean that you cannot put a track in another slot.
The thing is that that the maker of the track adjusted the track data from slot&tire editor so that the cars and timing behave in a normal way. If you put the track in another slot, the cars can behave problematic when for example the enter the pits entry. Fortunately you can solve this by adjusting the data in s&t editor.
It's probably a lot of work for someone who's new to this, but if you put in some effort, you will get there. There is a lot of info on this forum and otherwise, just ask.
Don't forget that you always make a backup file of the tracks and their data you wish to replace and also keep a clean and original gp2 file in case something goes wrong.
Good luck!
The winner ain't the one with the fastest car, it's the one who refuses to lose.
Mickeyg
GP2 Newbie

Post by Mickeyg »

Dasilva thank you so much for this info and your input. It really is interesting and very valuable.

I now feel more confident and comfortable with adding some extra years to my standard default GP2 install.

😁👍