"bumps" on gp2 tracks?

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

"bumps" on gp2 tracks?

Post by samsepi0l »

Is there somewhere in track files that the bumps are stored? Does the tracks even technically have "bumps" (I'm not talking about rumble strip curbing).

I know the suspension has high speed and low speed damping, it says in the users manual that the high speed damping settings are for handling over the bumps.

I would think these bumps have to be defined somewhere in the track file.

I downloaded Paul Hoad's track editor and I'm looking at a particular track I downloaded ( Detroit 1984, which seems to be really bumpy). I can't find the "bumps" anywhere.

Do I have this completely wrong?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: "bumps" on gp2 tracks?

Post by rremedio »

There are some drastic bumps created by track geometry and there is also the "bump table" which sets the "bumpness" for the track surface.

On the Track Editor you will find the table under Track Config -> Various Data Blocks. Scroll down until you get to the Bump Table Data. Picture attached.
bumps.png
bumps.png (27.42 KiB) Viewed 6586 times
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

Thanks- I found it. The track data I see has a value of 4 and 5 for bumps.... I assume that is extreme bumpiness right?

rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

That's very high. Most F1 tracks will stay between 0-2 but Detroit was indeed very bumpy so I'd say 4-5 is about right, but on the other hand, I think the effect provided may be exaggerated so maybe it is too much. I used 4 in the bumpy sections of my Leipzig track to simulate sections that are not asphalt.
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

rremedio wrote:
18.04.2019, 18:37
That's very high. Most F1 tracks will stay between 0-2 but Detroit was indeed very bumpy so I'd say 4-5 is about right, but on the other hand, I think the effect provided may be exaggerated so maybe it is too much. I used 4 in the bumpy sections of my Leipzig track to simulate sections that are not asphalt.
I think I will possibly try and lower it down a little, maybe 2 and 3. This should be easy right?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

samsepi0l wrote:
18.04.2019, 20:32
rremedio wrote:
18.04.2019, 18:37
I think I will possibly try and lower it down a little, maybe 2 and 3. This should be easy right?
Yeah, I'd try 2 and 3 too. You can always come back to the old values if you want.
Early 90s F1 forever!
samsepi0l
GP2 Racer

Post by samsepi0l »

So I downloaded a version of Mexico City 1992 from the site:

Mexico City (Champ Car 2006 + F1 1992) Real-life Track Antonio Pessoa/Thomas Kost

The very last turn (it is incredibly fast, almost flat-out all of the time) is like a turn taken from an oval track. It appears to have some banking as well. The bumpiness is very obvious on this corner (especially the exit) - I think this is because the banking is transitioning to a non-banked section where it turns into the pit-straight. Anyways- this stretch on the main straight heading into turn one is very bumpy. I expected the bumps to show 4 or 5 throughout the whole section, but when I went into track-editor to observe it is all set at 0, 1 and 2? I was confused. Is there some other reason this might be so bumpy? I watched the race from 1986 (I downloaded a torrent of all of the races from the late 70's forward) and it does appear to be pretty bumpy in real life. The drivers seemed to take a path off line through the straight there to avoid the bumps.

Just trying to understand the 0, 1 2 thing... any ideas?