Slipstream in GP2

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Slipstream in GP2

Post by ismael »

In 1993, according to Minardi driver Christian Fittipaldi, "the speed differential was 289km/h [Martini] against 314km/h [Fittipaldi]. You can't take it all in the slipstream, because you gain no more than three or five km/h."

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/f1-r ... me/639948/

I usually think that the slipstream effect in GP2 is a little bit exaggerated - but useful as it is, of course.

What do you guys think? Did you ever think about reducing the slipstream in the editors?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: Slipstream in GP2

Post by rremedio »

Yes, it is exaggerated.

Belini managed to improve it for GP3 and GP32K. I tried to do the same for GP2 based on his patches but I didn't get any results. I still think it is possible, I just lacked the necessary knowledge about Assembly. It isn't just the case of changing some values, you need to change the flow of a few routines in the game.

If someone wants to give it a try, studing the Belini patches for GP3/GP32k would be a good starting point.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

"The current cars have so much downforce and drag that if you're two or three seconds behind another car, you easily win three or four tenths."
https://www.grandprix.com/news/farcical ... or-f1.html

Two notes:
- Apparently, the slipstream in current cars and in fast tracks makes GP2 slipstream more realistic.
- F1 had a bug on Monza Q3, but apparently they re-started the computer and it's OK.
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

I don't know if it's true, but I think the difficulty affects it also. I was struggling to overtake with a Ferrari on ace level at interlagos but then again it probably didn't help that I was also 3 seconds off the pace
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

rremedio wrote:
08.08.2018, 16:27
Yes, it is exaggerated.

Belini managed to improve it for GP3 and GP32K. I tried to do the same for GP2 based on his patches but I didn't get any results. I still think it is possible, I just lacked the necessary knowledge about Assembly. It isn't just the case of changing some values, you need to change the flow of a few routines in the game.

If someone wants to give it a try, studing the Belini patches for GP3/GP32k would be a good starting point.
Hi Roberto! Do you know where I can find the Belini slipstream patch?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:
05.12.2019, 22:46
rremedio wrote:
08.08.2018, 16:27
Yes, it is exaggerated.

Hi Roberto! Do you know where I can find the Belini slipstream patch?
Hi Michael! It is called Belini Grip Patch iirc. It can be found in grandprixgames.org and iirc inside the zip files for each Belini track. He made several patches, one for each F1 season for which he made tracks.
Early 90s F1 forever!
Michael82
GP2 Racer

Post by Michael82 »

Thank you! In GP2 sometimes it seems realistic and sometimes we are very faster but it depends of the bhp anyway. Do you know if Belini tried to do that for GP2?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

Michael82 wrote:
06.12.2019, 13:54
Thank you! In GP2 sometimes it seems realistic and sometimes we are very faster but it depends of the bhp anyway. Do you know if Belini tried to do that for GP2?
I have no idea.

BTW, I know that the GP3 community found some related parameters in the GP3/GP32k magic data.
Early 90s F1 forever!