Game crashing on video sequences

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Game crashing on video sequences

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

Hi everyone

I have an issue when playing in full screen mode. The game crashes on opening video sequence, world championship intro animation, and the podium place animation.. I have my dosbox file set up to display the game in the 4:3 aspect ratio so the image looks true to its 1990's roots. For some reason it doesn't crash when playing in window mode, or when it is stretched to screen 16:9. Any help appreciated, cheers

Forza GP2
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Re: Game crashing on video sequences

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

The issue seems to be gp2lap, for whatever reason it doesn't like those settings and crashes, without running the game through gp2lap it doesn't crash. Frustrating issue, maybe Rene Schmidt knows something about it
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

It's a good question. How do you get the intro animation, podium place, etc, without the CD?
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

Hi Ismael, I don't think its possible to do what you're asking without the cd, I use a cd burned from my original copy of GP2 and basically just leave it in my disc drive 24/7.. I play it in dosbox with the cd because it ruins the experience for me if I can't hear the classic menu music and other things.

Anyhow, I think I've solved the problem.. it had nothing to do with GP2lap, it appears to be the output and scaler I was using causing the issue. I originally had it on opengl and hq3x however trying different settings in this department seems to be yielding positive results. I'll have to keep tinkering with it to find the best combination but at least the game is now playable for me in full screen 4:3 without crashing. I think some of these settings were designed with the assumption that most people would play their dos games in widescreen so it was glitching out me and crashing during the video sequences.
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I may ask you a thing, though. I don't have the CD and I somewhat also miss the game soundtracks, as those are all part of the personal experience and memories (and I've stopped gaming for almost 15 years). Some of them are on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53fxWK1 ... PZ8T6f1hVK
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7FAF33666E

Would you be able to create Youtube videos with the world championship intro animation, and the podium place animation? Mr. Bruno Menezes made a good job there, but I'm sure he didn't include them all (and he wasn't able to include image animation).

And something else that I may be forgetting - there's a world championship outro/ending animation, also, right? When Crammond tells us, after winning Ace Level, that we could succeed at real life?(!)
GP2tifoso28
GP2 Starter

Post by GP2tifoso28 »

ismael wrote:Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I may ask you a thing, though. I don't have the CD and I somewhat also miss the game soundtracks, as those are all part of the personal experience and memories (and I've stopped gaming for almost 15 years). Some of them are on Youtube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53fxWK1 ... PZ8T6f1hVK
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 7FAF33666E

Would you be able to create Youtube videos with the world championship intro animation, and the podium place animation? Mr. Bruno Menezes made a good job there, but I'm sure he didn't include them all (and he wasn't able to include image animation).

And something else that I may be forgetting - there's a world championship outro/ending animation, also, right? When Crammond tells us, after winning Ace Level, that we could succeed at real life?(!)
I'll give it a go mate, not too sure about the outro animation because I've never won a world championship at ace level :oops: :oops: ... it sucks you don't have the cd man it makes it so much better