FGP2 - The End of an Era

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
rremedio
GP2 Legend

FGP2 - The End of an Era

Post by rremedio »

Formula GP2 is coming to an end. Two more races and this hotlap championship started in 2001 will cease its activities.

Based in Brazil, this is probably the longest running virtual racing competition on the internet. It has recreated all Formula 1 races from 1950 to 2000 via GP2, plus many other races including Pre-War Grand Prix, several Le Mans and Indianapolis 500 races, World Sportscars Championship, Formula 2, the Goodwood Festival and others.

Many tracks, carshapes, carsets and utilities were created because of FGP2 needs.

In the latest seasons, attendance has been very low and we decided to end it for good at the end of season 2000 so the tournament can have a closure and not just die while players wait for the next race, like happened to many other alike tournaments.

I can say I had some of the best times while driving or later helping in the management. Some of the players became personal friends, some of them I have even met in real life.

While it may have never been so big outside of Brazil (even if we always had drivers, and even champions, from other countries), I think FGP2 is a big part of GP2's history, so I decided to write this little homage.

It is sad that it is ending, but it is nice to think that it lasted for so long and that so many people had a lot of fun in it. =D>
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
roland ratzenberger
GP2 Racer

Re: FGP2 - The End of an Era

Post by roland ratzenberger »

rremedio wrote:Formula GP2 is coming to an end. Two more races and this hotlap championship started in 2001 will cease its activities.

Based in Brazil, this is probably the longest running virtual racing competition on the internet. It has recreated all Formula 1 races from 1950 to 2000 via GP2, plus many other races including Pre-War Grand Prix, several Le Mans and Indianapolis 500 races, World Sportscars Championship, Formula 2, the Goodwood Festival and others.

Many tracks, carshapes, carsets and utilities were created because of FGP2 needs.

In the latest seasons, attendance has been very low and we decided to end it for good at the end of season 2000 so the tournament can have a closure and not just die while players wait for the next race, like happened to many other alike tournaments.

I can say I had some of the best times while driving or later helping in the management. Some of the players became personal friends, some of them I have even met in real life.

While it may have never been so big outside of Brazil (even if we always had drivers, and even champions, from other countries), I think FGP2 is a big part of GP2's history, so I decided to write this little homage.

It is sad that it is ending, but it is nice to think that it lasted for so long and that so many people had a lot of fun in it. =D>

it is the first time that i hear that there is an online gp2 tournament.. so sad to hear that it is finished.. how can i participate in at least one race dear friend???
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

The last race happens this week. It is a hotlap competition, which means you need to send your hotlap until next Saturday midnight, Brazilian time. The track is Sepang.

There are 4 teams with cars available: Arrows, Jordan, Prost and Minardi.

If you have interest in joining, I can provide instructions for registering and setting things up (downloads, etc..).
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
Peze
GP2 Gamer

Post by Peze »

Sad news indeed. It requires dedication to have such a racing league running for so many years... my respect for all who have made it possible.