Circuits Tyre Wear (WinTrackMan)

Here you can post questions about GP2, your favourite GP2 things and errorreports/problems!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Circuits Tyre Wear (WinTrackMan)

Post by ismael »

Hello, I have a question regarding circuit's tyre wear, as appear on WinTrackMan. Some tracks have tyre wear as low as 16000, others as high as 32000. How does this influence tyres performance? Higher circuit tyre wear means that tyres will worn out rapifly, more pit-stops being advisable? Or is it the opposite?

Thanks
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Re: Circuits Tyre Wear (WinTrackMan)

Post by rremedio »

Higher values mean tyres will wear faster, but there are some caveats.

It is a factor to adjust players tyre wear to computer cars tyre wear. It only affects the player. You will notice that longer circuits have higher values, it isn't really related to the number of pit stops.

CCs tyre wear is dependent mostly on the tyre type for the track (defined in the track .dat file) while the tyre wear for the player also depends on the Tyre Wear value (and also on the tyre type). So the function of this value is to make the actual wear felt in the lap times even between ccs and players.

If you want to know what is the best pit stop strategy for any given track, my advice is edit the .dat file in the track editor, assigning one pit stop strategy for 100% of the cars, joining a race and using the "accelerated time" to check how much time the ccs take to complete a race, then do the same for the other strategies and compare the values (you edit pit strategies in the Track Editor going into the Pitlane menu, then Pit Stop Strategy).

Another thing to notice is that if you use GP2Lap, it will ignore the values stored in the game (including if you change the Slot tyre wear) and it will use the value stored in the .dat file. If you don't use GP2Lap, you need to use the Slot and Tyres Editor (or WinTrackMan, if it gives you this option, I haven't used this program for a while). In my opinion, you should always use GP2Lap.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!
ismael
GP2 Racer

Post by ismael »

Thanks! My next race is a 50% Race Distance in Microprose's Monza, around 16000 tyre wear; I'll do that to decide if I'll make a pit stop or not.

By the way, i'll pose another question. As I mentioned, I started playing GP2 in 2015 after 15 years. I remember that once, in my teens, I made a Magny-Cours 50% Race Distance and I was leading in the final lap, but I ran out of fuel and ended up 5th. After that, I began to make a pit stop in 50% RD, almost always.
What kind of set-ups make for greater fuel consumption? Or is it just ragged driving?
rremedio
GP2 Legend

Post by rremedio »

I think, theoretically, higher wings (especially rear wing) and lower gear ratios would consume more fuel. Not really sure if it is how it works for GP2 races.
"The Fox provides for himself. but God provides for the Lion"
Early 90s F1 forever!